1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst film of 2001

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Dargorn, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I went to the cinema one day to go and see 2 films in a row with some mates, followed by pool and bowling. the day started well with a showing of Ameircan pie 2. Wow! incredible film!.
    Anyway, my horrible friend who likes Speilberg, (moron only ever made two good movies) decided we should go see A.I.

MY GOD WHAT A LONG BORING PIECE OF ****. I was even surprised that Speilberg could turn out this mount of idiotic rubbish. Yes the acting was superb....ish, i am not a fan of that little kid, i think he is a little wooden.
    Now i realise this was origionally written by Kubrik, but i am sure any other director could have turned this into a decent film.

Here is my points of what was wrong with it.

1)The film was all over the place, no structure at all. It jumped from place to place, time to time.
    2)It desperatly tried to intermix a sad story of a child's love for his mother with complicated sci fi fictional language....and aliens. And don't say it worked well cos Bicentenial man managed the same type pf story with a great deal more style.
    3)You got the distinct feeling that throughout the film, Speilberg had desperatley tried to fit in moments of blodthirsty action and futuristic 'wowing' events, like sparkly aliens and buckets of acid.

Sorry but this film stank in my opinion and in every body elses that i know. Apart from my Speilberg loving mate who sort of liked it.

Which films was the worst of the year for you?

[This message has been edited by Sir Dargorn (edited June 04, 2002).]

2. Mithrandir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Harry Potter. That movie SUCKED! It left out(IMO) 80% of the good parts in the book.

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Wow, if "Bicentennial Man" was good in comparison, it must have sucked.

4. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I can think of plenty of '01 movies far far far worse than AI.

13 Ghosts
    The Animal
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Black Knight
    Black Hawk Down
    Down to Earth
    The Fast and the Furious
    From Hell
    Glitter
    Hannibal
    Head Over Heels
    Jeepers Creepers
    A Knights Tale
    The Majestic
    Monkeybone
    Pearl Harbor
    Planet of the Shit Flinging Apes
    Rock Star
    Scary Movie 2
    Shallow Hal
    Snatch
    Tomcats

Just to name a few... :p

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited June 06, 2002).]

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Don't know... I don't watch bad movies :)

6. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Harry Potter sucked! Not because it wasn't like the book, but because Harry Potter sucks! The book AND the movie! I think next time I stay in Math class instaed of going to such a piece of crap...

7. Magnus Magicus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Nothing wrong with Harry imo. Liked the movie. Also liked lots of the abovementioned ones. No biggies in there, and most of them not really worth watching in the cinema, but hey, ease up. :)

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I rather liked AI, true it would probably have been better if Stanley would have been able to make it but I still think it was rather interesting. Perhaps not a great movie but very see worthy. The crappiest picture from 2001 imo must have been Pearl Harbour, damn it sucked. The Fast and the Furious wasnt exactly top of the line either.

9. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hi- just a quick point about AI- it was not originally written by Kubrick or Spielberg but was based on a short story by the British sci-fi writer Brian Aldiss, who was very involved in the AI film project when it was in Kubrick's hands. That disjointed where-the-hell-is-this-story-going style is distinctively Aldiss, although I have seen other British cyberpunk writers try the same thing so maybe he started a trend. He seems to try to make an emotional impact without actually telling a story; sort of the "Impressionist" school of sci-fi.

I think the real problem with the movie was trying to make it a longer film than, say, 10 minutes- which is how long it takes to read the original short story. Some short stories make great films, Blade Runner being the best example, but some just don't (AI and Johnny Mnemonic being good examples of that). I wouldn't blame poor old Spielberg though- I think he did the best with the material that he possibly could have. Why he was willing to touch it is the real mystery.

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] @Sir Dargorn

I saw American Pie 2 when it opened here... because I like Alyson Hannigan... but I must say that this movie was quite bland. Just your standard teen comedy, not nearly as funny or creative as the first American Pie was.

11. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

@ Alex: I think it is rather stupid to say that A Knight's Tale was bad, sorry but that film rocked, the only people who didn't like it were eople without a sense of humour who went along to see a historically accurate medieval movie, it was briliant!

@ Sprite, thanks for telling me, i was really having a problem trying not to like Kubriks work, although i am still trying to force myself to like EYES WIDE SHUT.

@Early Grey, yeah i have to agree the movie wasn't anything on the origional, but still a hell of a lot better than most teen movies....apart from A KNIGHT'S TALE.

12. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Sir Dragorn: You're partially right. Now that I think of it, A Knight's Tale was better than AI, which is sad considering the potential AI had, however that still wouldn't be saying much for A Knight's Tale. :)

Earl: Better than the first? Maybe... however I thought the only real problem in the first was that they spent too much time taking thier plot seriously; they corrected that in the second. :)

Ahhh yes, Eyes Wide Shut... Next to the Godfather I believe it to be one of the best put together, well directed and produced movies EVER... it's just too bad that it was a dumb story to begin with and Tom Cruise couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag...

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited June 05, 2002).]

13. MoonMeister Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG]
    Planet of the Shit Flinging Apes

LOL! I agree that this movie was horrible. This was probably the worst movie of 2001. The only amusing part was when the little chimp in the spaceship was knocked the **** out towards the ending!

AI was a bit out there, but Teddy made it worth watching.

And although 13 Ghosts was kinda lame, I really enjoyed that scene when that psycho ghost was ripping off Shannon Elizabeth's clothes. HEHEHE

-MM

14. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

No my favourite part of Planet of the Apes is this line:

Your monkey launches at 16:00.

hehehe

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.