1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worldwide Barbeque?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Gnolyn Lochbreaker, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I was barbequing fish last night, and for some reason started to wonder if this is mainly a 'North American' thing. So, is barbequing a big thing in Europe at all? I was in Germany and France a couple of years ago and didn't notice anything of the sort - of course, it was Christmas :p Just curious.

2. My family BBQs regularly. In fact, the whole neighbourhood smells like something is cooking sometimes.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As soon as teh weather permits all swedes with a scrap of garden brings out their 'grills' (the weather doesnt permits it often though). It isnt north american style barbecue even though it is coming more and more. No fancy stuff, just put a slab of meat over hot coals and you are set :D

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Funny, we had a barbeque just yesterday.

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Yep we bar-b-q quite a bit, though I'm still not sure what the attraction is. Burnt or undercooked lumps of meat, cheap beer that some skinflint has brought along as their 'contribution' and sunburn for all slappyheads present:aww:, not to mention the almost obligortory bad stomach the following day, which assumes you've avoided the margarite induced hangover. Yet for some reason I keep going back....... :)

6. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah, we barbeque loads. Just not much in winter.

7. Methylviolet Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

My family calls the barbecue the "bar-beck" because everyone mispells it that way ("barbeque"). Of course when a lot of people are waiting for their burgers, then it's a barbequeue.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just grilled up some baby-back ribs last weekend. :) But then again I'm in California...

Actually, I believe "barbeque" is a proper variant of "barbecue".

9. sorvo Guest

Do it all the time in the summer, saves on the air conditioning.;)

10. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31

(For non-Americans, "barbecue" is a variant of barbeque :p )

We try to bar-b-q a lot in the summer - keeps the oven from heating up the house. Plus, charcoal grilling just adds that little 'something' to the flavour. Of course, some of the recipes are designed just for barbequing. Like our patented 'chicken rocketry experiment', or the "beer can chicken"! A whole chicken stood on a half-empty beer can. Honest ;) Looks ridiculous, and sounds 'hokey', but it really does make for a fine roast chicken.

11. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

It's lovely.. my favorite would be lambchops with a sweet chili glaze.

12. Silverblade Guest

In Holland we BBQ a lot. In the summer, when the weather is hot, you can just smell the scent of burning every evening. Very unhealty btw, most people eat meat that is burned on the outside and raw on the inside.

13. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I BBQ quite a bit. Here's something to try if you haven't heard of it before.

You need a chicken (or other similar sized bird) and beer in the can. Open the cans and drain about half and put in some spices to taste that work well with the beers flavor. (I like saffron, pepper and chili powder for blander US beers). Place the can up the chicken's rear, and it should be able to stand straight up on the can. Place it on the grill this way and the beer boils, coating the chicken in spicy beer while it cooks. Its really very good and fun to do, plus it looks wild and will impress your BBQ-ing buds.

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I like my Grandad Kings' BBQs, he did turkey once but my mother is a veggie so didn't eat hers - we found out the hedghogs like BBQd Turkey though

15. total Guest

Lot of BBQs here in Croatia, especially in summer. Everyone love it. Party is not considered party if there is not BBQ (it is just gathering of people with drinking problem). My neighbor does them in winter also and that is one of the best BBQs in the whole year (people get used to them in summer)

16. zaknafein Guest

Come on people, havn't you ever heard of the great Aussie BBQ. We barbecue all the time.

17. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I know that, I used to go to school with an Australian boy named David, he said he used to have barbeques for Christmas on the beach

18. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Fellow posters:

I write to you today concering one man's horror.

It is a horror that some time in the near future all nations and all citizens of the English-speaking world will rise from the couch, walk outside, throw some burgers on the grill, and call it a barbeque.

This must not come to pass, gentle posters.

As every well-bred person knows, throwing meat on the grill is... grilling. To have a barbeque, one must must have barbeque sauce.

Please, do not let countless generations group up in the ignorance of what consitutes true barbeque. Otherwise we might as well all become Francophones.

Sincerely yours,

Shralp

19. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Actually, barbeque is derived from a French expression:

barbe a que - snout to tail

In this context it would have most likely meant a hog or cow roast. Skin and gut the creature then ram a large sharp pole from its snout to its tail and place over a fire on two spit holder thingies.

20. 8people

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.