1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World Series Champions

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Laiwethel, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox for breaking the curse and winning the World Series for the first time in 86 years! :grin:

This has been a long time comming, and it has never been more deserved. Again, well done!

/me starts to sing "Take me out to the ball game"

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *huggles*

Congrats and all that.... :p

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Actually, it is exactly as deserved as any other team who have ever won the World Series given that the requirements for winning (i.e. scoring more runs in a game than your opposition in more than half the games) have been the same for every World Series.

Anyway, they should lose points for not being able to spell "socks" properly.

4. Arabwel

Media:
    *pokes Harbourboy with a sharp stick*

Be nice! They waited long enough...

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have no chance of getting any sleep now. Tomorrow is going to be a wasted day at the office.

First the Pats, now the Sox.

In the words of the Standells "Boston, your my home".

Yahoooooooo

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What has that got to do with anything? For the previous 86 years they weren't good enough.

By all means celebrate the victory (if you are a Boston supporter, that is. If you're not, then you're just jumping on the bandwagon of supporting whoever is winning), but don't try and claim that they 'deserved' it more just because it's been so long since they've won.

7. Arabwel

Media:
    Gee, since when has supporting the underdog become a bad thing?

*shakes her head*

Call it sympathy.

8. Emmanuel Julius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Based on how they play these playoffs they definitely deserved to win it....not sure if they deserved it more than say any previous winners but that's another argument

But anywayz congrats Red Sox! :)

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'm with HB on this one. Yeah, they won, just like any other team could provided they played the best.

I'm still strung up on the whole thing being called the 'world series'... we didn't compete... Japan didn't compete... the UK didn't compete... I don't even think CANADA competed yet it's still called the WORLD series.

Damn Americans. Hey, HB, how about we start calling the Super 12 the Rugby World Series or call the NRL the World League Cup?

*grubles about Americans not competing any any international sports bar soccer which they suck at anyway*

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hate to tell you, but you could call your Super 12 the rugy championship of the solar system, the galaxy or the universe and none of my countrymen would do more than yawn (they think American football is a tougher and more interesting sport). I think anyone who plays rugby is nuts, but it's a lot more interesting than our football, which can lull me into sleep in next to no time.

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Exactly! Stupid, arrogant Americans!

*grumbles*

FILTHY HOBITS!

12. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Finally, it was about time...
    Deserve? Last night Barcelona played against a 2nd division team and lost by 1 goal, but, for 89 minutes, Barcelona team waisted 394857 goal chances, surelly they "deserve" to win, but you win a game by scoring more than your opponent, not by "deserving" it.

13. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Harbourboy -- give me a break. :rolleyes: 86 years since they've won the World Series -- some people have been waiting their whole lives for this.

First of all the comment of "deserving" was made in a good hearted way and is a FIGURE OF SPEECH. But if you want to go down THAT road, I'm not sure when the last time a team SWEPT the 1ast 4 games was -- oh, wait -- not only swept, but never allowed the other team to EVEN LEAD -- not once, in all 4 games. Deserving?? I'd say so.

But the point of this thread was celebratory :sigh: -- and some of us still feel great about it, despite the petty sniping I see here.

[ October 28, 2004, 14:15: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Yay Sox. If their curse is finally broken, maybe this means that 2005 will be the Cubs' year. They haven't won the Series since 1908...

I was really hoping for a Sox-Cubs Series last year. C'est la vie.

15. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] I'm totally a Cardinals supporter, but I'll admit; the Sox deserve to win. And the way the Cards played they deserved to lose.

So congratulations Red Sox! :thumb: Next year it's ours for real! :D

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, Harbourboy is obviously a Cardinals fan just trying to hide his bitterness. :p

Anyway, congrats to the Sox.

(P.S. @ Snook - how long did your hangover last? Or is it still going strong? :D )

17. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!

I thought this day would never come. In '86, we were in my dorm room spraying beer all over each other. Then the passed ball. Then the grounder through Buckners legs.
    Finally.

18. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Never quite understood why it was called the World series. Does any nation other than America play?

19. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Canada used to have two teams who play in the Major league. Unfortunately, the Montreal Expos are moving to the U.S. because they haven't been doing well for a long time, and the fanbase in Montreal is just about non-existant.

There's also the Toronto Blue Jays, who won the WS in 1992 and 1993. Sadly, they haven't been playing as well since then, and the Toronto fans aren't as die-hard as they used to be. But yes, Canada does play baseball as well.

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Well, actually, the tournament (if you can call it that) was sponsored by a newspaper called "The World"...which is why it is called the World series.

Only found out about this from one of my mates who is a rabid fan of baseball.

Meh. I used to think the Americans were really arrogant prats too.

Come to think of it... :p

j/k! :roll:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.