1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Icingdeath45, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Whats your opinion, good? bad? ok? I'm seriously considering getting it because i've heard great things about it, but would like a few mroe opinions :)

2. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I played it hardcore for some 5 months, give or take.

The RP servers are as great as you can get in a MMORPG (at least from playing AO, DAoC, SWG, CoH, and I think something else I don't remember). The PvP servers are one of the best form of entertainment I know in an online game ever. Can't tell about regular PvE servers, never tried one even once.

WoW has functional graphics, great musics, decent character development, fairly good online community (if you don't look at the official forums filled with whines), balanced classes etc etc. And the immersion in that thing is great.

The one thing that made me quit was the fact that it's too much grind. It's the kind of game you can never finish, there's always something more you can do. Especially in PvP, it's too much about equipment sports. You can't just get to a point where you can play say 30 minutes each day and enjoy the PvP. You have to constantly earn money to afford the various potions, equipment and miscellanous items etc you need for PvP, in addition to which you have to farm for the items (and now those PvP points) in order to remain competitive. If you don't, you'll become obsolete and lose that edge that made you win before. Since there's the matter of monthly payment too, the game effectively forces any competitive PvP player to play hardcore or not play the entire game at all. Unless you don't mind getting your butt handed to you by every even moderately skilled player of equal level with better items.

So if you're looking for casual-hardcore roleplaying, WoW's a good game for that. But if you're looking for decent PvP, you better be prepared to use a whole lot of time.

3. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I think its great, only bin playing it for 3 months and I enjoy it a lot. I play on Earthen Ring (rp), horde side, which is harde, since we are outnumbered 2:1. Got a shaman named Zargrim and just started a undead warrior named Zavier.

4. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31

well, i've been playin everquest for the lsat 4 years, and just got my account banned for using macroquest2(program so i can afk and get experience etc.) looking for something to do ;P

5. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

I bought it in London, but I haven't started playing yet. I want to replay Warcraft3/Frozen Throne first, for the story.

6. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Better watch the specs on this thing.
    Otherwise, although I agree that you'll need to play a lot more to remain competitive, having high level friends also works.

7. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I have been realy thinking of getting this myself.I was just wondering is there room for the casual gamer.I have played d&d since the late 70's so I am looking to expand that kind of experience online but do not have the time i used to.
    Is there room for some one who can't play all the time or should I pass on this one unless my schedule becomes more conducive to massive play?

8. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Yes very much, with my Girlfriend, work and of cause other friends, I hardly ever have more then 2 hours a day and I'm lvl 48 (out of the 60 lvls possible) and have only had the game since it second release on may 15. so I'm definetly not a hardcore gamer and still I'm nearing the end game part.

but with the new rp/pvp realm coming, im going to reroll soon :D rp/pve just seems wrong

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have played like a madman since the first release here in Europe and it is first now I am cutting down. That is however not due to anything inherently wrong with the game but that I found myself in a situation where I spent more time on politics and organisation than on playing the game. I came to a point where the only pve things left to do was the extreme high end instances and raid bosses (Onyxia/MC and the like) and I just felt that I didnt have the energy for it despite having ended up as the leader of the second biggest guild on the server. I have been in hiding for the last week now. ;)
    The pvp with the honor system and battlegrouns is at the same time awesome and crap. The gameplay in itself is awesome and it is real fun but it sucks that you haev no control at all over when you want to pvp. You get in line and then either just wait or go do something until you get in. This forces you to basically just run aronud waiting to get inside the battlegrounds and you cant help people, level an alt or what have you. If you miss a bunch of battleground rounds you either dont gain rank or you may even lose rank and thus lose your best gear.

WoW is great for the casual player up to 60, after 60 you have to be hardcore to get anything done at all.

Now I am mostly waiting for the RP/PVP servers and will roll a character on one of those.

10. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Well, the specs arenĀ“t through the roof. I have a 2Ghz, 512 Mb RAM, 200 Gb comp that runs it smoothly... mostly... Not the most expensive or best comp in the market, but it does the job.

And the game is great, buy it, by all means...

11. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Does the PVE is cool? Is there any quest or just mindless beating on enemy? Is Monthly fee reasonable? I was thinking perhaps getting myself but the monthly fee is a very horrible thing to me, The idea that I have to pay for the game and pay *just* for playing it is absurd.

12. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31

pve is fun, the quiests are actually better xp than just mindless grinding, the fees are reasonable i'd say. 15$

13. Ofelix

Media:
    15 US dollar a month? Well it isn't that cheap either, plus I imagine it only accept credit card?

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can get pre-paid gaming cards in many if not most stores that sells the game. Works just like cash cards to cell phones.

The PvE is good, sure, much of it consists of grinding quests but it somehow manages to be a variation with the grinding. There is always something to do, questing, grinding, going into a dungeon, fiddling with your professions and so on.

15. Ofelix

Media:
    I hope it isn't overrun by mindless and immature fanboy who doesn't know a thing about etiquette or grammar and spelling Nothing beat the atmosphere more than seing somebody called '' IRulzzusuckss!!!'' and then start yelling some ununderstanable babble in a evil tongue called Leet. They should all be banned into hell the whole of them says I!

16. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

:D

Just kidding. Anyway that depends on where you play. The RP servers are easily the best I've seen in a MMORPG, but if you're intending to play on a regular PvE or PvP server, be prepared for "teh one-three-three-seven". Additionally, when I played on RP servers, it was when my account was on the US side. As usual in Europe, you can get a whole lotta different experiences here compared to the US. The French and the Germans are isolated to their own servers, luckily, but there are still plenty of people who aren't too good in English and are forced to play on English servers. You still see people speak some random gibberish in the PvP server I'm on at least, so I'd imagine the RP ones have their own share of roleplayers who don't really know the language as well.

But these days you're offered a choice to decide where you want to play, I hear. If you don't mind a little worse ping, going over to the US side might not be a bad option at all.

I'm just pissed off about the bugs in this game. It was nearly flawless when I played on the US side, but now this Euro version is almost unplayable. I've updated all the drivers, discussed with their tech support several times now and still there's not been a solution to why I get randomly disconnected every 5-120 minutes or so. Sometimes I can spend more time logging in than actually playing in say, half an hour for example. It's not the usual disconnect either, as the server doesn't throw me out. I just enter a permanent lag phase and stay there until I terminate the program. Never had any problems like this with any other game or software before.

Currently I'm thinking it's the network card, but there are still some things that make it nothing more but a hopeful thought. I'll buy a new one after the vacation and check if it works. If not, I guess I'll cancel the account. Amazing though that things like this can happen so far after the release. As checking their tech forum you can see that a whole lot of people have been getting an increasing amount of issues with each new patch.

As a net aqcuaintance said: WoW is strange in that it's actually becoming more buggy over time, instead of the other way around as is the case with all the other games.

I also don't like this trend of Blizzard starting to make changes they haven't even thought of. They recently implemented a stupid dueling change that made dueling entirely different from real PvP, effectively making dueling impossible as a means to learn PvP tactics. Not just that, but it disabled the use of some essential class abilities completely ruining the class balance. Then after 1 day of putting the patch out, they tell us that due to so many complaints they'll be taking that feature away with a hotfix.

Then they took the looting system out of the battlegrounds, so the whole faction gets the advantage from someone looting and returning the items instead of just the frontline fighters likely to do it before. And they completely missed the obvious that now the battlegrounds are filled with people who just AFK and let others do the fighting, while reaping the advantages from it themselves.

It's not like Blizzard to make hasty decisions like that.

17. Ofelix

Media:
    Damn! Okay you got me! :) Well, at least I have the '' english not being my native languge thingy '' anyway, I mostly meant Leet and the such. If it is so buggy than I'll pass can't stand a game that has too many bug nobody heard of QA? And I had planned to go in europe server to logg with french player, but if it's that buggy I'll pass

Thanks anyway for the comments

18. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.