1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World of Warcraft - Now Free-to-play up to Level 20

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]PC Gamer reports:

Blizzard announced today that they’re completely revamping their trial account system. Instead of limiting the amount of time you can spend playing, trial accounts will allow you to play as much as you want all the way up to level 20 on as many characters as you can create (similar to Warhammer Online’s endless trial system). There will likely be some restrictions on the accounts to prevent spammers from abusing them, but those details have not been outlined yet.

Players that like what they see can purchase the game and the Burning Crusade expansion (which increases the level cap to 70, opens Outlands, and unlocks the Blood Elf and Draenei races) for only 20 bucks. In addition, anyone that currently owns the original game, but did not have the Burning Crusade expansion, now has that expansion automatically added to their accounts for free.​

Oh dear... I dread to see how many more souls will be lost to the MMORPG behemoth now that the first steps towards making WoW free-to-play have begun.

For those of you already playing, do you feel that this is a welcome change, or one for the worse?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    A crack supplier offering his first few hits for free.

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Lol, indeed Barmy.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Crack dealer? Tell me about it. I started off in LotRO as an F2P player, in order to, once again, play something together with a pal of mine, and ended up six months later a subscriber with a level 65 (currently max) level main and six twinks (20, 22, 30, 31, 32, 54). Scary. And entertaining.

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This is the reason why I'm not buying WoW: Cataclysm! I know that even though I'd just start up to play with my old mates again it won't be long before I'm sucked in and back at raiding :rolleyes:.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The change isnt much different from how it is now though. You could get well past lvl20 in the old trial system so in a way you get to taste less of the game now than before. Getting to 20 is a matter of a few hours playing.

MMOs are digital crack but it is fun, I am currently in my gazillionth WoW renaissance and having quality gaming experiences non-stop. Yesterday I got to punt turtle babies, it was awesome.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    IIRC the previous WoW trial was limited to 14 days.

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In that time you could easily experience the entire levelling experience. Now you get to see a tiny tiny fraction of the game, the tutorial if you like. I would say that you definately get less of the game with the new system than the old. Yes you can see all the starting zones and do it as much as you want but umm, thats like re-playing candlekeep infinitely in BG or even worse Irenicus dungeon in BG2.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, if you played 8 hours a day every day I assume? This way you get to take your time... but then again, most people who play MMOs spend a good number of hours every day on them. Makes it interesting for me though as I'd like to give WoW a shot just to see what it's like, but I have no intention of becoming its slave on a daily basis.

10. joacqin

Media:
    You do not have to become a slave, it might happen if you like it enough and have nothing else demanding your attention combined with a severe lack of discipline. Do not think that will happen to you but in my opionon you do not get a good impression of the game in hte first 20 levels. It might be that you really like that but do not like the other 99% of the game or the other way around. I would recommend you to give it a shot though, I love WoW it has during the last six years spoilt me for so many other games just be in my opinion being so great. It is polished, it is smoothed out, streamlined, designed to appeal to the greatest number of people. Things I generally hate in other games and in theory I hate it in WoW as well but somehow they make it work. I can see why they "dumb things down" and I can see that it actually makes it into a better game you do not have to be a slave to. You can do almost as much and gain almost as much in a few hours a week as in countless hours. Well, give it a shot. I am at Vashj EU mostly on the toons Hood or Poliel. Dunno if you can talk to people on a trial account, not sure you could before.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.