1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

World of Warcraft & D&D

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Nerezza, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Nerezza Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Has anyone here played World of Warcraft? I think if D&D was set in a game like this I would go over the moon. And if it had lots of race choices and stuff. It would be THE GAME to have. Because I saw a friend playing it (W.o.W) just before and I already want it. Like now. Must... buy!

[ January 16, 2005, 14:38: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Ever heard of Dungeons and Dragons online?

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    A friend of mine got WOW. I played it for a while and I can't say I was very impressed. It's an MMORPG in every sense of the word: huge, kinda pointless, lots of things to do but none interesting enough, and it doesn't look very pretty for something that's supposed to take advantage of the new generation graphics.

I'm still waiting for the MMORPG that will be more than hack and slash, and it looks like a loooong wait...

4. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

By the time they get those kind of MMORPGs on the market we'll probably be grandparents.

Shoot me for what I just said.

5. Nerezza Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

*shoots you*

What is D&D Online going to be like? Or is it out? I don't know I am confused.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Uh, we have a forum for it here on the boards... and we post news about it regularly... Why don't you look around a bit?

7. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Just entered a competition to win a collector's edition of the game.
    It contains a wall cloth with the entire worldmap of warcraft, a 200-page book of warcraft, a signed gamek and much more.
    Only thing i have to do is to convince the people where you can win it that you are the biggest fan of warcraft.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I would think not having WoW yet would automatically defeat any possible biggest-fan justification...

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

WoW sounded interesting until I heard that it requires monthly payments and a credit card, then I realized that it wasn't that good after all and that I could live without it. :p

10. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Great game. Absolutely marvelous. The roleplaying servers have at least 20 times the roleplayers other MMO's have had (DAoC, AO, SWG, CoH), and the PvP is absolutely perfect!

The graphics are functional and while not state of the art at first glance, they surpass all graphics in other MMO's presently out there with their functionality. Functionality as in 6 times the FPS as in SWG, full shadow details and lighting effects etc etc that affect the entire world instead of just the one superpolygonized character like in other games.

Controls are excellent, music is symphony orchestra... something that all other MMO's thus far have failed to realise is that music is a huge factor in immersion. That's what WoW is about anyway, immersion. It's the first game where grind doesn't feel like a grind because there isn't any in the traditional sense. Quests give a huge amount of experience and are essential in the plot. They're easy to understand and complete and reward you with ..... ok I'll stop here. Yes I've played it, since november, some 2 weeks after it came out. And I love it.

It's become a problem really. I have a real special year coming now that will very much decide what my life will turn out like in the future, and instead of studying all I do is play that game. Still I have a huge 4-month vacation coming after a few weeks to help me on my way, there's no way I can play a game for an entire day. :)

Besides, WoW rewards casual gamers unlike any other game. It has a system that gives your character "rest" while you're offline and logged off in an inn or a city. While your character is still "rested", you gain double the experience you would normally. Basically, since 10 days of total inactivity gets you about 1 level's worth of resting, you get 2 levels at the price of one thereafter. Also, that level 60 cap really isn't far off. It's a matter of a few months only even for a casual gamer, which I think is very good.

11. trillex Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Only major complaint I can say about WoW is that it just doesn't have enough customizations options. A RPG is about developing your character. Right now, every level <20 looks almost the same. Only thing that's different is pretty much their name and some unnoticeable differences in skin color and face shape.

Also, there's just way too few ways of making your character unique. There are so few succesful builds that everyone will eventually pick up on those. The only huge kick after level 25, is pretty much completing a huge quest, getting a rare item and gaining new skills as you level up. The recipee is simple, yet it seems to have cloned Diablo 2 so much. I'm still in the European Final Beta, but as it is right now, I'm not sure I would buy it just yet. Maybe wait 6 months or so, see if they added some extra things that's essential to RPGs or if it'll continue to be the same.

I'm currently addicted to the game, but it's just to get my character to level 60. That's about the only goal there is. No unique character, no nothing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.