1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Won't Run

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by reepnorp, Oct 18, 2003.

1. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've got the game installed on a different computer now, so there won't be so much lag, it's fully installed, but when the autorun comes up, and I click on "Play", nothing happens. Not something, not anything, nothing. It doesn't freeze, it doesn't even show up in the Task Manager. Any ideas on what the h*** is going on? I'm starting to get reaaaally annoyed with this game.

OKay, now I'm getting the generic Windows XP error message, but it doesn't tell me jack.

[ October 18, 2003, 18:34: Message edited by: reepnorp ]

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    What kind of video card do you have in the computer it's installed in? When I first installed the game it wouldn't play because I needed a better video card.

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I had that problem intermittently as well, I fixed it by running the patcher. Upgrading the video card (or drivers) may work, but if they're good, try upgrading to a newer version.

4. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Still nothing seems to be working. Directly from dxdiag:

Device

Name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip Type: GeForce4 MX 440
    DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Approx. Total Memory: 64.0 MB
    Current Display Mode: 1024x768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Drivers

Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
    Version: 6.13.0010.2832 (English)
    Date: 09/03/2002 10:53:00
    WHQL Logo'd: No
    Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    VDD: n/a
    DDI Version: 8

Does that help any?

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31

What version of DirectX are you running?

Also, go to http://www.nVidia.com and see if they've got any improved drivers.

It could also be a RAM or HD issue. Defrag your HD and, you do have over 256MB RAM, right?

6. reepnorp

Media:
    I got the new drivers, and that didn't do anything. I'm going to try a patch later today.

7. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Why are you running it from Autorun, rather than from the Start Menu Icon?

Does the first options screen and music appear?

How old is the Windows XP installation on this new machine and when was it last updated?

Maybe one of the system files is corrupt. Check them by inserting your XP CD (close the autorun window) then open the Run dialogue box;

[START]-->[Run]--> sfc /scannow

8. reepnorp

Media:
    The patch doesn't do jack! Okay, Bluin, I'll be putting in the CD, Autorun comes up, I click on 'Play', the eye thing will come up, but then that will just stop. Nothing to alt-tab to, and nothing in the task manager. So I never get into the actual game itself. Now, I'm not even getting an error message! Oh, and Windows XP was installed when we got it, so we don't have a CD for it. This is so annoying, I think I might cry soon!

9. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I don't know if you mentioned it or not, but have you ever succesfully installed the game from your CD? Is there a posibility that you have damaged the CD? have you tried doing a scan of the CD? Hang in there. I feel your pain.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  11. reepnorp

Media:
    Yes, the game is fully installed. And I was looking at this new fangled Task Manager for Windows XP (I don't use it much) and in the section with the priorities and stuff, nwmain does appear there. It just doesn't do anything. I've tried changing the priority of it, I uninstalled the game, and then reinstalled it, nothing works! I swear, my brothers computer is just too damned high tech for this stupid game!

12. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Running the game from the autorun is fine, I do it all the time without errors (Win98SE, though).

I'm going to laugh if this problem is being caused by a massively fragmented hard drive.

What brand is the comp?

13. reepnorp

Media:
    I would check right now, but my bro is asleep. And how would I go about seeing if it is actually fragged like crazy? Wheres the defrag program, if it already has one?

Any other help? Anyone?

14. Jschild Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Oh my, you mean you have never defragged a hard drive? wow..... First, Fully Uninstall the game. then click the Windows Start Button. go to All Programs, Then Accessories, then System Tools, then Disk Defragmenter. Defrag your Hard Drive. Next Install Neverwinter Nights, try to run. Good luck and defrag your hard drive at least once a month.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.