1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wondering if NWN is worth it.

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by bigjay, Aug 27, 2002.

1. bigjay Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi everyone, newbie here,

Just wondering what the overall opinion on NWN is. I'm seeing various opinions and had a few simple questions on it.

1) How do the modules work? Do you just download them and play them in single player mode or do you have to play them on-line?

2) How is the on-line multi-player? From what I've gathered looking over posts on this forum, you just kind of log on, either import one of your chars or use a local one, pop into that world and wander around... am I right? That sounds like it might not be too great if you're just going solo. Anybody having good experiences?

Just some newbie questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

If you intent to play it online it is worth buying. ;)
    Single player isnt realy that much :(

3. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

single player may not be fantastic, but that is backed up by the toolset. you can create all your own weapons, rooms, quests and campaigns for yourself and your friends to play with. personally i think NWN is one of the best games on the market at the moment, and shouldnt be missed. gameplay is fantastic. 9/10.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You're right on #1 and #2, as well. It's exactly like you said.

5. Ron the Gnome Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I tried to use the Toolset on XP, without success; does it works only for Linux?

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'm going to go against the grain on this one, wait to buy it. There is no reason at all to get the game right now. In fact especially if you can wait for the price to drop you'll be better off, because currently, the game has nothing to offer.

Its already been stated, but I'll say it again, the single player game sucked. In my own opinion its worse than bad, it was horrible, it took alot of preserverance to trudge through boring quest after boring quest to get to the boring ending. Its completely predictable, etc, but there are other threads that go into the intricacies of why its boring.

So on to the toolset, I'm sure people will eventually start making decent modules once they get into the swing of things, but right now, the modules are worse than the single player campaign. I've downloaded a few and my overall impression is that they are pathetic. Again, I know that given time, some really good ones will surface.

I can see that the toolset is very limited right now too, there's only a handful of monsters DMs can use, and they're all mostly from the official single player campaign. Players will be building models though, and I saw some promising ones on the Bioware boards (a nice beholder), however as it stands, on one downloaded module I got attacked by a "giant rat" that looks suspiciously like a badger.

This does not exactly aid the "immersion" factor of the game.

I highly recommend waiting till the price drops a bit, by then there should be some great 3rd party modules, creature models and scripts available, and perhaps some good moderated RP servers will be up that moderate the PK mob that currently dominates the multiplayer community.

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Toolset works great for me on XP, but then, we all have different setups. Art is pretty much right. Online play is iffy atm, so unless you know of some really good servers, it can be hard to find something good on gamespy. Plus my connections on gamespy always suck, and I have a really good dialup. So I'm guessing unless you have fast access, online gaming can be a problem.

I don't know what modules are out there. Likely, from my experiences with the toolset, it's gonna take a while longer for good stuff to start apearing. I know it's taking me a while to lay down my stuff, but I'm not a full time junkie or experienced in C either.

The only way I'd say purchase NWN right now is the toolset. It's somewhat limited on monsters and terrain to use, yes. But creative tinkering can go a long way, and so far, I'm not having any real problems creating what I want other than scripting, which is arcane and like driving nails through ones fingertips one at a time. Heh, and I though writing a bot on mIRC was a challenge. But everything else really flows like a dream. If you think you might enjoy making your own games, and I mean 50 dollars worth of enjoyment, then I'll say go with the game. However, if you don't have serious intentions of using the toolset, I'd wait a while for some good content to come out for the game and the price to drop.

8. Sick curtaiN Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yeah, like they said. There's nothing much to say really. Just buy it if you really want it... :evil:

By the way... Welcome to the boards!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.