1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wonder Woman

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by RockbadgerX, Oct 18, 2013.

1. RockbadgerX Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Resourceful

I'm not really a comic book fan, but have a reasonable interest in the DC universe, especially Justice League.

I have the 70's Wonder Woman DVD collection. So recently I, er, *obtained* the pilot episode for the modern unreleased Wonder Woman series. Mein Gott! It was terrible.

So I was wondering what people's thoughts on Wonder Woman were? Not just thoughts on how she has been presented in the past and recently, but also how you interpret her character, and her presence as an identity in contemporary culture.

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I'm not an avid comic book reader either, but I think this guy's video is a good start on Wonder Woman's persona and history.

3. RockbadgerX Gems: 2/31

Resourceful

Thanks. That was really cool.

Worth noting that Marsten, who created the polygraph (lie detector), also gave WW a rope that forced people to tell the truth.

WW herself came to the fore in a time when male American (and other) soldiers were going off to die in war leaving huge gaps in social infrastructure in their home countries forcing women out of the kitchen and into construction yards and diesel mechanic workshops. Irony?

It's generally accepted that WW is the perfect balance between the traditional feminine woman and the contemporary grrl.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

One of my biggest gripes about these boards is that there are not enough discussions about Wonder Woman. Finally this is being put right.

My son and I have been watching some of the old TV show recently. I have to say it's quite terrible. There's one classic bit where she has to go underwater so she spins around again to change into her swimming outfit. What? Her standard uniform isn't already a swimsuit?

5. RockbadgerX Gems: 2/31

Resourceful

Hahaha... as I said, I have that series on DVD.

Sidepoint: the producers just came up one day and said, 'that's it. No more Wonder Woman.' Stunned all the cast and crew. The show was achieving quite well.

Anyhoo. I assume you mean the full body lycra outfit. That is also her 'bike-girl' outfit. The only difference is she's wearing a helmet.

There's a skateboard episode which is actually pretty good! She becomes a sk8rgrl.
    And one when she's dressed as Diana Prince (her alias) and up the top of a carpark. Villians try to run her over so she leaps off and transforms in mid-air. It must have been one hell-of-a-stunt back then.

PS- Linda Carter (the Wonder Woman of the series) actually invented the classic transform spin. In the very first few episodes its more of a striptease :bigeyes: but, they had to reduce it for later episodes because it was technologically too hard to do back then.

Er, I have all sorts of useless trivia about other things. Not just WW....

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I saw a hilarious episode today. Wonder Woman does a lot of jumping (it sees to be her main power) but usually it's over tall fences. Today she jumped over a hedge, with all the usual sound effects, but the hedge was only about knee high. How does she keep a straight face through that?

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    She didn't hear the sound effect when she did it?

8. Harbourboy

She did the Wonder Woman leap which involves standing with both feet together and launching upwards by swinging both arms and then landing on both feet together again. It was the slowest and silliest possible way to jump over the knee high hedge.

Also Steve Trevor must be one of the worst secret agents ever.

9. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ah well, then either she didn't think about it at the moment or it was one take out of twenty where mostly all the cast collapsed in laughs and giggles at the sight. Though if the latter, I imagine the set must have been hilarious most of the time, except for the one time they managed to keep a straight face.

10. Harbourboy

It's no less ridiculous than Bionic Woman, Incredible Hulk, or A- Team which are all on the same channel here. Those shows have all aged badly.

And we haven't mentioned Wonder Woman's awesome secret identity. Tied with Superman for being even more implausible than their superpowers. Or maybe she assumes that nobody is looking at her face when she's in her outfit. Or that her oversized glasses emit some sort of hypnotic effect.

11. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    well, most men do not look at the face right away.....

12. henkie

Media:
    So that's why she's wearing a skintight suit in her alternate identity.

13. RockbadgerX Gems: 2/31

Resourceful

In later episodes she doesn't even wear the glasses! The producers just went, "hey, people are so stupid don't even worry about the glasses."

And, yeah, my kid actually likes Trevor except for the fact he NEVER DOES ANYTHING! Kind of like Optimus Prime in Transformers 1. Just walks around saying wise stuff but not really getting into it all.
    (in the aforementioned recent Pilot Episode, Trevor and WW once dated, but he chose to marry some-one else. Padded cell for Trevor please).

In Justice League: New Frontiers Wonder Woman is actually bigger and buffer than Superman. Animators and crack are probably a really bad combo.

In case you haven't seen the unreleased pilot *spoilers* Everyone knows that Wonder Woman and Diana Prince are the same person (kinda like the Iron Man thing), owns a beauty empire called Themiscira industries, spends time in executive committee meetings arguing that her action figure's breasts are too big, fragrantly breaks the law with impunity, has two assistants who know who he is, has a facebook profile, and also kills people.... Again my crack comment.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.