1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Women Gamers

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Shell, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Ok I don't know if this has been posted before, I did search but it came up with nothing :) A friend told me about This Site which is great for gamers of the female variety. there are even some blokes on it! Enjoy :grin:

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

"Because women DO play."

You know, I'm almost willing to bet that half of the members are really horny guys hoping to score. :roll:

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I'd say three quarters :p

4. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

According to this site Planescape Torment is sexist because of Morte's lines:

Yet Diablo 2 is not!

I would have thought that sexist as the 'Amazon' is a large breasted blonde female that still wears a thong when equiped with chainmail! Yet in real life Amazon's originated from what is now modern day Iran, and cut their breasts off to make them better warriors.

5. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Thats it, im making a MenGamers.com :lol: its not like its a major issue is it? I read something on that site about all girl clans... I always team up with whoever wants to play, I dont care what sex they are.

Ok, I know theres a bias in the industry to marketing toward a male dominated sector, but lets take one example. Female characters are represented as sexy, well proportioned (dont flame me for that i put it as best i could ;) ), and intellegent but often slightly weaker (physical) than men - this is not always the case but its just an example. Lets flip it over and say that the designers want to abolish this. They create a character with plain looks, not too sexy, small proportions, still intekllegent but now also just as strong as men are portrayed. Cool, its good, now were equal.... hang on... ahvent the designers just created the 'image' stereotype of the lesbian feminist??? I mean no disrespect to anybody... on the contrary I hate stereotypes - they are mostly extreme twisting of facts.

I know that I went off on a rant there but come on! A website purely for women gamers? why dont they just join 'unisex' :lol: sites like this one and just let their presence be felt. No wonder people who spend little time online and play games very rarely believe that few women play they all head off to women only gaming conferences and dont 'mingle'. "Im a top developer and im going to get some player feedback for my new RPG... where should I go... I know WomenGamers.com".

Site like that one only create a widening in the rift IMO, a rift that will close naturally over time. My thoughts are a little garbled, im in a bad mood today, if you have any criticism on what Ive said you will probably get a better response in a few hours ;)

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Malovae:
    Spike PC? :lol:

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    There's always bloody womens movements about something! They should get back in the kitchen! :lol:

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

True; now that they actually have those liberties they missed for over 2000 years, they have nothing better to do than complain over such matters as "Morte's sexist lines." You could almost think that they are trying to dominate everything. :shake:

9. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    :flaming: I'm being flamed! :grin:
    Sorry, was only a suggestion :)
    And rofl @ Barmy Army

10. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    you rant, I rant Malovae :p :

A LOT of time. We've come a long way, and I'm against all forms of feminazism and stupid little sites like these, but we've got a long way to go as well. It's the mentality of mankind that is sometimes hard to deal with as a girl. I mean, girls are the majority in colleges, universities, administration...but they hardly ever have a ruling position. People will still trust a male lawyer more than a female one in a big case, girls with a lot of ambition are b*tches, guys with ambition "know what they want in life". A post like this one will likely make most men feel that I'm somewhat weird ranting about details like that. Just some thoughts. They are little things and they will only change over time, but they are still there and sometimes they irritate me.

Plus, we can all make fun of those militant anti-men women from back in the days, but without a real struggle we would never have been where we are today. I'm not going to burn my bras, but they did good things. Over here we got female voting rights in 1948, that means that my grandma lived in a time where she couldn't vote, that's absurd.

I wonder...can guys get along better with strong and strongly-opiniated women as they grow older...I suppose so...I hope so. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love men, but sometimes you're annoying. :p

And Morte's just funny.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Yeah, sure... No matter what the country is, the women always complain of this same matter... Too many MEN in those good positions, eh? Truth to tell, it's getting very annoying how so many women think that those positions should be handed to them simply because they have a pair of boobs and a mess between their legs. Surely women, too, can compete with the same rules as everyone else... :rolleyes:

But, in case this offers some curiosity value; the figures are supposed to be reversed in Asia. More women as higher ups than men. ;)

[ August 10, 2005, 02:33: Message edited by: Wirhe ]

12. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Well, i didnt mean to insult feminists, I just don't like it when people group together and set themselves apart (and sometimes above) others just because they (in this case women) have been persecuted and have recently found liberation. Okay, things have changed and were changed through extreme actions like protests and rallies... but does the world really need these things to continue when the vast majority of people (in this case men) accept that women are equal (some women are smarter or stronger than some men and vice versa).

You will get sexism, it may never go away. but something ive noticed over the years is that it rests with older generations and people of lower intellegence. I come from the North of England and some of the morals and principles of the population up here are terrible. im not going to go into what I think of the majority of northerners and i would guess that there is a sizable proportion of people where i live that agree with me.

Perhaps I am wrong and pro-feminist sites of all kinds are still necassary, but I would like to think that is not the case.

13. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well in Ireland (and I heard its the same for Russia and Scandanavia) is that women are usually managers in large companies, and a friend form the US was amazed that she got no trouble for hunting here, as she said back in Pittsburgh, she either got rude comments for being a hunter or people stared at her license in amazement.

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

You see? It's the men who are really discriminated, not women. We get worse jobs, worse pay, and worse hours now that women get all the good jobs. If we get one at all, considering that all the starting places usually end up to the Office Flowers due of their nature -customer service. And then they dare to complain of the opposite. :shake:

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Exactly! How did it come this far, that women are playing games? We don't have a gameconsole or PC in the kitchen!? My girl cooks and scrubs the floor and brings beer when I shout at her. *I* am the one playing games here!

:shake:

16. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    @Malovae, I didn't say that it's STILL necessary, I just said that the efforts of older generations shouldn't be minimalised. And I don't think the worls will ever get rid of protest, rallies and the like. Sadly.

@Wirhe, that's exactly what I think is wrong. Women shouldn't get the job because they are women, but because they are competent, and often they are passed by by less competent males (at least that's what I see).

@Cùchulainn, Hoorah for Irish men. Perhaps I'll move to the green country. My favourite hair colour on a guy is red anyway. :D

I like to see these changes as pro women but not anti men, but some men seem to have the urge to interpret it differently *shrugs* Venus and Mars, eh?

17. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

@ Uytuun

What makes you think that "women are often passed by less competent men?" Have you thought, perchance, that maybe the fellow really was better? But generally speaking I agree that the 'men's/women's work' dividing is old-fashioned and obsolete; men really should get more places in areas like healthcare and social services -not just the doctor's vacancies.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @uytuun:

And guys who won't be manipulated are bastards. :p

Hey, that's a whole 30 years later than in Poland! :D

Don't forget debate skills. :D And some fencing prep would be a bonus as I could never hit a woman and I like to be able to fight back. :p :lol:

Admit it, that's what you love us for! :D

@Malovae: There's hardly greater fun in the world than holding the door for a feminist. :shake:

19. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    @ Wirhe, don't get so defensive. Oh no, that's right, I can't order you around. :shake: I'm not saying it's like that in every case. And I wouldn't want a woman to be picked over a guy because of quota or somesuch either. I already said why I think of it that way...because I see it happening around here. And yeah, I agree on what you say about caring and such. It's no good that the educational system is being taken over by women. We need male influences and viewpoints as well.

Maybe Good ol' Belgium is just retarded in the area. Who knows.

@chev, I admit. What's the fun in having a guy that agrees with you on everything. We wouldn't be able to manipulate him. The world would stop spinning. :D

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, and having the woman agree with you on everything would be boring. :D Part of the fun is manipulating her and making her think she's manipulating you. :lol: You're so cute when you believe your schemes are being successful. :shake: :evil:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.