1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wizard Slayer - ranged attacks cause casting failure ?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by el M, Nov 1, 2006.

1. el M Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i created a Wizard Slayer and intend to dual him to a mage to make use of Melf's Minute Meteors and Energy Blades (both spells work creating +6 enchanted ranged projectiles with good attack speed, THACO bonus and multiple damage types that make them
    difficult to resist). Using the search function on this forum i just found out some players saying only melee hits will generate the spell failure.

Is that true ? Does a Wizard Slayer have to hit his target with ONLY MELEE or do ranged attacks count aswell for causing the trademark cumulative casting failure?

2. Razfallow Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Only melee damage cause spell casting failure to target.

3. el M Gems: 3/31

are you certain ? in the description it only says on every sucessfull hit -> why would it only be melee and not ranged ?

4. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

uhm isn`t dualclassing a wizard slayer into a spellcaster kind og like dual classing a jew into a nazi?

5. Razfallow Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yes, I am. Spell which is applied to character, when you start new game or level up, has only opcode Melle hit effect. (This special spells give your character bonuses, like Kai, Rage, bonus to THAC0 etc.)
    Why it isn't in description, I don't know.

6. el M Gems: 3/31

oky - i was hopping it to work on ranged attacks too. I am stubborn and still going to ingame test it before giving up but it seems i will have to rethink the use of the WS i had in mind.

About WS dualed to a Caster from role playing point of view - "if you can't beat them join them :D " On a more serious note i'm obiously more chaotic than lawfull and sometimes see no problem in bending the rules a little. I'm sure if someone tried realy hard they could come up with some sort of plausible story of the WS/W but i don't need it to sleep better.

pokeing trough the spcl132.spl it seems that indeed only on the melee hits 25% casting failure is applyed. Someone on some other forum pretends to have been able to edit the .spl file to enable the effect on ranged hits too. I will attempt messing with the .spl file myself...

well its easy to switch from melee to ranged. A bit more complicated to have him cause it on both melee and ranged hits.

Oki i've decided to finnaly give this one up. WS with ranged casting failure would be overkill. Without it however the WS doen't make in my party.

[ November 02, 2006, 09:25: Message edited by: el M ]

7. el M Gems: 3/31

"Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks"

optinal component in g3 fixpack - yupiie

8. Atreus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

Some of the Wizard Slayers from Tactics Improved Encounters seem to cause Spell Failure on ranged hits. Could be a bug or perhaps Tactics adds this component too, at least to their own Wizard Slayers. Anyone confirm this?

9. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Something about Tactics using copy/paste in the mod, but I'm not wholly sure about this...

/me sits waiting for CamDawg to save me but

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.