1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wizard in BG-101

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Ofelix, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I know some of you (if not all of you) despite newbie aswered 100 time question but hey! I never played a Wizard in BG (Although it's my favorite class in PnP) so I'm pretty confused!

First question: Ability? Exept Int and Wis (Because I will be conjurer and I wouldn't have Identify spell) so a high Lore is welcome

Second question: Good spell to choose Since spell scroll aren't in large quantity in low level

Third question: A good Party Combinaison I'm Planing to be Chaotic Good, even if I find that Chaotic Wizard is a litle weird no?

Fourth Question:
    Weapon Profiency (I sure have a hard time writing that damned word!) Wich to choose? I heard many people start with "*" in Missile Weapon.

Fifth question: Must-have equipmentI heard many people takling err Writing about a "Robe of arch-whatever" (Since I never played a Wizard I wasn't very attentive to what they were saying!)

Sixth question: Some General tactic to beat the game without "Chessy tactic" I begun to find the general warrior behave " Close your eye and charge! " a litle boriiiiiinnnggg

- That's it folk.

[ March 28, 2003, 00:20: Message edited by: Dungeon_Master ]

2. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

1: Dex isn't all that important after you get the Gloves of Dex, so I'd probably take either Strength, or Charisma.

2: Low level must-have spells? Definitely Magic Missle, Flame Arrow, any summoning spells, perhaps Skull Trap. All these are spells that will serve you well all through BG and further if you import to BG 2.

3: I myself like taking Minsc, Jaheira, Khalid, Imoen, and a cleric, either Branwen (for alignment issues), or Viconia (Because she's ridiculously cool).

4: Missle weapons? Probably best. Either that or or quarterstaffs. Don't take daggers, there aren't many good ones.

5: Ring of Dex, Robe of the Good Archmagi, rings/amulets of protection, or any rings or amulets that raise the number of spells you can memorize.

6: Know your enemy's weaknesses. Learn and memorize a versitile selection of spells. Don't focus exclusively on either offensive or defensive spells. Have at least two ranged attackers in your party. More specifically, Against the final enemy, save as many scrolls/wands/spells of summoning as possible, use them and plink away at him with ranged attacks. Somewhat cheesy, perhaps, but very effective.

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Strenght? Why? You don't get any bonus without having less than 16! and still +1 dommage...

4. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, basically, either for more then 16 strength, and for the carry weight. I wasn't sure what sort of party you want, and higher strength is always nice.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Spells that are a must have:

Level 1

Magic Missile (the mother of all spells)
    Shield is always nice
    If you are playing Tales use Chromatic orb when you hit level 7 (paralyzes)
    Mirror image (lifesaver)
    Fireball (outside)
    Lightning bolt (inside!!)
    Haste
    Ghost or spirit armor

6. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ring of dex? :eek:
    Did I miss something?

7. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Gauntlets of Dexterity (you get them off one of the ogre's that attacks you on the bridge in the beginning of the Gnoll Stronghold) set your dex to 18. I would concentrate on dex (for slings), con, int and wis if it important to you for high lore (you need to have 15 or higher to get a lore bonus).

Personally I'd take Missile weapons and Daggers (to use the Longtooth Dagger). There aren't any good quarterstaves in BG either though, so that's fairly pointless too. If you want, give the Guants of Dex to Minsc cuz you might want to keep him in leather armor (hide in shadows and all that good stuff). With 15 dex, he can get a 3 bonus to AC, so that's good. Spells don't really matter, just scribe all the spells you can get your hands on and find out for yourself which spells work best for you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.