1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Without Microsoft, which Operating System ...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Montresor, Sep 20, 2008.

?

Without Microsoft, which operating system would have won the market?

1. Apple's MAC OS

31.8%
  2. IBM's OS/2

22.7%
  3. Linux or another Unix clone

31.8%
  4. Another graphical OS

9.1%
  5. A non-graphical OS

4.5%
  1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Let's say that Bill Gates and/or Paul Allen hadn't been born, or (oh horror!) that they had decided to start a pizzeria instead of a software company.

The big question is of course if they would have cornered the market on pizzas and forced everyone to eat some horrible standard product with anchovies and broccoli, and no cheese :shake: but I will concentrate on a more obvious, and almost as important, question:

Which operating system would we (well, most of us anyway) have been using if Microsoft had never existed?

1) My own best guess is Mac OS. Apple has been making graphical operating systems since the early to mid 80's and still do. The problem is that their systems aren't compatible with the IBM PC.

2) Which leads us to IBM. Their graphical operating system, OS/2 Warp, was launched a year or so before Windows 95. Problem: IBM failed to understand what they had and to advertise it because "Big Blue" was (and still is) more geared towards the mainframes market.

3) Linux or another Unix clone. Being developed and made available for free, it would be the obvious choice for most people - except that without central coordination the different versions aren't compatible. And where do you go for support when the developers are sitting in 2,000 different living rooms?

4) Some other graphical operating system. Without Microsoft, another company would have popped up and developed an operating system instead.

5) A non-graphical operating system. Without Microsoft we would have been using CP/M, DOS or something like that. Hardly likely, seeing that both Apple and IBM developed graphical operating systems independently of MS.

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

My bet would go to *BSD.

With BeOS getting a honorable mention.

Amusingly enough, we might have never seen Linux without MS-DOS, and Mac OS just wasn't that good before Mac OS X, which brought it very close to BSD.

AmigaOS was great, but ran only on Amigas.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    OS/2 was quite similar to Windows, and in many respects better. If Windows was out of the picture and there was no other significant competitor, OS/2 would have won.

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Since this is a "what if" poll, my vote goes to AmigaOS.

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Chalk another vote for *BSD.

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I wasn't lucky enough to use Amigos but from all I've heard about it I think it should win. Once they saw the potential market they might have expanded.

Os/2 was good and might have been a runner-up

BSD is another I'm not familiar with and know very little about.

7. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

BSD -> Mach
    BSD -> FreeBSD
    FreeBSD + Mach -> Darwin
    Mac OS + Darwin -> Mac OS X

Kickstart + Workbench -> Amiga OS
    QDOS -> MS-DOS
    MS-DOS -> Windows
    OS/2 + Amiga OS + Windows -> OS/2 Warp

BSD + Windows + OS/2 -> Windows NT
    Windows -> Windows 9x
    Windows NT + Windows 9x -> Windows XP

Unix V7 -> MINIX
    MINIX -> Linux
    Linux + GNU = GNU/Linux

Perhaps not perfectly accurate. Not meant to represent direct evolution, merely important influences.

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I'm using a UNIX based computer right now, so I suppose I really should've voted for one of the Linux clones, but - realistically - removing Windows from the market entirely, you'd probably be looking at IBM's OS2 as the stock operating system, considering the commercial clout of IBM. After all, Lotus was the office suite of choice before it mysteriously vanished into the Bermuda triangle and MSOffice and the hilariously misnomered "Microsoft Works" took over everyone's PC... except mine. :grin:

9. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Why wasn't this on the poll? Windows dominated in part because it was the geeks OS of choice. I think most geeks would have gone with Commodore as that was the most popular computer in the 80s and only really died because DOS was a secondary choice of the geek/gamer. Maybe I should have voted for other. Apple was just a knee jerk reaction.

But... Windows/DOS dominated the business sector. This was the market Apple was aiming at when it introduced the Mac and why all the original line was black and white. With Microsoft out of the picture, who knows? AFAIK, Commodore didn't really make any headway into this market. Also, Apple did make its way into class rooms in the 80s and usually what you learn is what you're going to use.

I don't think any of the others would stand much of a chance against either Commodore or Apple. IBM OS/2 only, IIRC, existed because it was a collaboration with Microsoft. Linux got started as a Unix clone and programmers project not really intended for mass acceptance and would likely be in the same position it is today, only running on different hardware.

10. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Lest we forget Bill Gates did not develop the base code and idea for windows, but bought it off some guy for a few thousand, then build on it. I say that windows would have risen in some form or another but for the sake of the Poll I'll say Mac

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.