1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

With what did you leave Athkatla...?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Balic, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Balic Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What's the best (most powerful) weapon (for a fighter) you left the city with? I'm going into chapter three now, with only a +3 weapon... (me: Flail of Ages, others Lilarcor, Hammer of Thunderbolts... only Keldorn has Carsomyr, but I can't use it...) Is there a better weapon and where did you find it? Btw., I don't have the bonus merchants...

[ November 26, 2004, 17:34: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Scythe Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Celestial Fury is the obvious answer... still only +3, but great powers... Found in the house on the East of the temple district... Staff of Magi is in the Bridge District... acts as +5 but is only +1 and it has far too many bonuses to mention.
    Both of these are after moderately difficult fights.

Staff of Rynn is +4 from Adventurer's Mart. Just walk up and buy it.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, there are lots of good weapons available -
    Celestial Fury +3 from the Guarded Compound in the Temple District
    Staff of the Magi +4 from the Twisted Rune in the Bridge District
    Belm +2 and Gnasher +2 in the Druid Grove
    Tansheron Bow +3 from Trademeet (merchant)

And many more.

Edit: damn my snail-paced typing skills.

4. Scythe Gems: 5/31

Forgot Belm and Kundane (Part of Haer'Dalis quest)...
    ... Both are really good as offhand weapons. As they generate an extra attack with your main weapon. (In realitly I do think this is a bug in the Infinity Engine as how a weapon makes you swing faster with what is in your other hand is a bit of a mystery to me :) )

5. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I like the +3 club you can buy in trademeet after sorting out the troubles. blood something or other. I liked giving that to Jaheira.

6. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I always keep Arbanes sword (haste once a day) and Ilbretha (mirror image) equiped (but not used for their abilities.
    Also freedoms call (bonus mercheant - I think it is in the unmodded game) is pretty cool (imp. haste 2x a day, negative plane of protection), albeit expensive

@Scythe
    Twisted Rune.....moderately dificult. ya right! And can the staff of the magi be used by fighters?

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I always keep the Daystar +3, Celestial Fury +3, and the Staff of Rynn +4. Both the Daystar and the CF get some nice upgrades if you have the item upgrade mod installed. :thumb: :rolling:

8. Scythe Gems: 5/31

@Stu
    Twisted Rune is only moderately difficult.
    I've done it with 12 level Yoshi and a 10/10 F/M. So hardly that difficult (unmodded of course).

But you are right about the no fighters... I'd missed that in the original post.

9. Douganation Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Make sure you pick up and keep daystar as its sunray ability becomes very very useful when fighting vamps or shades.

10. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Kitrax:
    Daystar is +2, not +3, is it not? though it gets bonuses vs. evil and undead creatures, but those bonues are just to hit and damage, not what it strikes as.

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Clean underwear.

Daystar is a +2 weapon. I rarely leave with anything better than Lilacor, occasionally I'll leave with a +2 weapon as the best that I've got.

12. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

belm is not a part of the hear' gaylis quest.

you can find it in the small tower next tot the big house, in the druid grove. a part of cernds, ot the trademeet's quest.

belm has +1 attack
    and kundane has a speed factor of 0, wich also gives a +1 to attack

both attacks are made wih the main hand

13. Scythe Gems: 5/31

@Balle.

Sorry you misread what I typed. We had already discussed the location of Belm so the "part of haer'dalis quest" was only referring to kundane.

14. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Twisted Rune is so easy if you play with a large party.While 4 party members were dealing with lich, my Berserker cleaned out the others on his own.It takes less than a minute

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I am 99% sure that a 0 speed factor has nothing to do with the extra attack; if it did, then all weapons with 0 speed (and there a quite a few, particularly daggers) would have an extra attack, but they don't.

Kundane's extra attack is just an undocumented "bonus" feature.

16. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    For my PC who is usually a thief I refuse the Thieves' Guild and take the short sword +3 which is the best short sword in SoA until you defeat Bodhi. Then the Staff of Rynn I think is Jahiera's best weapon right up until Suldenesselar. Celestial Fury is a fantastic weapon and well worth the minimal trouble of getting, but is a major problem for a low-level party as the people guarding the compound are very strong. Minsc can find the mace of Destruction very helpful even though it is only +1 IIRC. After all, you fight undead all the way through the game. Also there are several nice weapons in the Copper Coronet after you finish the missions. Excuse me if I missed anything, I'm a little rusty with BG2, sorry.

17. Capt Massacre Gems: 5/31

I don't understand the Carsomyr thing, suppose you can't get it in the early game.
    But I would say you have more than enough. Generally, I just try and get the Flail of Ages +3 for my hero, and a good weapon against undead.

18. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

You can get Celestial Fury in the Temple district, it's the best Katana in the game. I left with that and Blade of Roses (not because it is all the good, but because it looks sweet) for my main character (a theif), and flail of ages, along with some axes/clubs (frostreaver, blackblood, etc.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.