1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

With Saddam arrested, who needs WMD?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Good ol' Texas cowboy style: Shoot first, ask questions later! Or, in this case, just shoot and don't bother with the questions later. Only those who are not with us ask uncomfortable questions.

This is what it is all about, really. Bush & Co. simply have to provide more fresh BS, and the old BS will be completely forgotten by the public. And when the current BS starts to smell bad, even more fresh BS will be delivered, ad infinitum.

3. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

If this isn't a classic response, I don't know what is. "What's the difference?" ?? Most of the economically solvent countries in our world (and some that aren't) have WMD "systems" or at least the fixins' to be considered a potential threat to neighboring countries and the world at large. Since when do we wage war on countries that are, simply put, "dangerous"? "What's the difference?" I would love to see Bush stand before the UN and give that response to its members. The only excuse we haven't heard yet is the "bad seed" rationale. :rolleyes: But wait...(I'm sure that's next.)

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The difference is that Iraq was a proven threat to its neighbors and was ordered by the UN to disarm.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    BTA, I'm certainly not debating that point. It was hashed out ad nauseum here in the Alley and the arguments don't bear repeating now.

What gets me about the "What's the difference?" line is the assumption that Americans aren't supposed to remember - or, perhaps, CARE - that our national credibility was put at stake for the sake of weapons that have proved to be ephemeral. But I guess that credibility with other nations doesn't really matter once our "Imperial/Emperical Aspirations" have been achieved and there ARE no other nations for us to be concerned about. :(

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  7. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I consider that a tacit admission that this is a war of aggression.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, maybe it's just me, but I take the "What's the difference" comment in a different way than you seem to be.

You seem to take it as a comment of indifference over the situation because American's won't care about or won't remember the past statements.

To me it means what I have said in the past: It doesn't matter whether they currently had WMDs or not because they had the technology and ability to build them any time they wanted. They demonstrated their unwillingness to cooperate with the UN over their disamament.

So, what to do? I can think of three things in general:

1) Let them do as they please until the next time they decide to invade a neighbor, or perhaps give/sell their technology to our enemies.

2) Continue with the sanctions and inspections indefinitely, all the while causing great hardship to the Iraqi people.

3) Replace the government with one more cooperative, inflicting temporary hardship on the Iraqi people in the process, but hopefully providing a better Iraqi government for the Iraqi people and the world in the near future.

3 is my choice, though I believe most don't agree with me.

I think most believe 2 was the way to go, at least until Saddam died, hoping that his successor would be more compliant (though I'm not sure why one would think so). I would have been satisfied if my government chose this path since it was OK for 12 years, but I don't think it was really a "solution".

And I think there are many who believe 1 is the way to go, but I would never agree with them.

9. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

When having enough military power and ambitions, who needs a valid reason for war? :(

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :bang: BTA, that's not the point! Getting rid of Saddam does not justify Bush lying about the reasons for going after him, and further more dismissing those who insist he answer for the case HE made. The fact that no WMD have been found and the ease with which we toppled Saddam's regime makes it screamingly clear that Saddam, though probably a danger to his middle-eastern neighbors and certainly a criminal, was never a danger to the United States. What's so wrong with holding the Bush administration accountable for it's own claims? "Sure that's what I said. So what? We all know he COULD have been dangerous." This is a respectable position the leader of the free world should take? Spare me!

We all know Saddam was evil, dangerous and had a black history. He needed to be taken out - no question. But that doesn't excuse the misrepresentation of motives. The end does not justify the means or the price we've paid.

This has now become a classic case of the boy who cried wolf. Our credibility is now shot. So now, in the future, when we really DO have concrete evidence that anothe nation poses an imenant threat, who in the world will believe us?

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I don't believe the claim was that Iraq was directly dangerous to the US. It was however dangerous to allies of the US, which amounts to the same thing.

The claim was that the UN passed many resolutions calling for the disarmament of Iraq which Iraq would not cooperate with. A final, final resolution was passed, calling for "serious consequences" if Iraq did not immediately comply with all resolutions to date. Iraq still did not comply.

The US went to the UN in a very ham-handed way to get those "serious consequences" going, which made it almost impossible for certain countries to agree. The US understandably couldn't get UN approval, but many countries thought that it was still the right thing to do, so it was done without UN approval.

Note, however, it was not done without UN sanction, since there was never a call for the coalition to leave Iraq. In fact there was a resolution legitimizing the occupation.

So, bad, bad US, but well, we won't tell you to stop.

12. Spellbound

Death Rabbit -- well said.

Why must it always be the US's responsibility and initiative to take these people out? Does this country truly wield the moral yardstick for the world at large?? Every country in the world must measure up to our version of morality? Where is it mandated that the US always leads the charge? I just don't see why this country ALWAYS has to try to assimilate other country's ideologies and political/economic systems into our own, in the guise of "making it better for all".

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Because the world makes it the US' responsibility. Just observe what happens when the US does not take part... recriminations galore!

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I can't resist. Did these allies ask the U.S. to invade Iraq? No, quite the opposite. So if The U.S. wasn't trying to protect itself, and was actually "helping" nations that didn't ask for the help, where's the justification now?

Edit: BTA, there's a difference between not helping when asked, and getting involved when not asked.

15. Spellbound

"Taking part" is a little different. I have no problem with that...in a balanced multi-country initiative. What I was referring to is the need to lead the charge....almost like by divine order.

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well, who is asked to come to the rescue when things go wrong? It is American fighting men and women who are placed in the forefront of harm.

So, if a little preventive medicine now can save major surgery later, I'm all for it.

I realize I'm in the minority here and my opinions differ from yours, so I will once again shut up so that harmony may once again return to the Alley of Dangerous Angles :)

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Harmony? Without us at each other's throats, it'd be no fun. :D

18. Spellbound

On the contrary BTA! It's the differing opinions that MAKE a debate and enjoyable reading....no matter how popular they be. If everyone had the same opinion here, it'd be pretty damn dull. :D (There's only so many times you can agree with someone.)

19. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Interesting analogy, BTA. Try mine.

If your doctor tells you that you will die of cancer if you don't have surgery to remove your arm, right now and without a second opinion, you would do it? And once your arm is off, and the nurses can't find a tumor or cancerous cells anywhere in your arm, the doctor tells you "What's the difference? You COULD develop cancer in that arm. You're better off. In fact, you should thank me."

I'm sure you would find that acceptable. :rolleyes:

20. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

This is true. Not even the harshest anti-war people demand the immediate withdrawl of the occupation forces from Irag - because it would invite desaster. For no other reason.
    Now, that the old regime has been ousted, civil war would be likely to ensue without a stabilizing presence. This most certainly doesnt legitimize the lies we have been fed.

The viewpoint of the people here is: We were against it, we were not heard, but the deed is done and now we must make the best of it. However, this does not ease the frustration and anger many feel.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.