1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wisdom effect

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Gothmog, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I'm planning a druid with only 14 wisdom. Later i planned to put 3 more points to it so i could cast highest level spells(17 wis.= lvl7 spells).
    But when i was looking at the description of wisdom it was written:

"Wisdom is important for druids and cleric affecting number and strenght of their spells"

Now i wonder if thats even true and if it is true how important is it to have a high wisdom? :confused: :confused:

EDIT:> Yeah another thing what feats should i choose? :confused: I wish to be all around char.(spells and support fighter). :confused: /EDIT

[ September 19, 2002, 09:09: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Higher wisdom will give you more spells per level. I always play with 16-17 wisdom when I play cleric (Pretty much the same thing as druid when it comes to magic I suppose).

3. Gothmog

But bonus spells are only get when you have 16, 18,20 right???
    How many bonus spells do you get if you have 16 wisdom??

What do you think is the best combination of attributes??

[ September 19, 2002, 10:14: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

4. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Just a note, Wisdom of 17 will not allow you to cast the highest level spells. For that, you would need at least a 19 and there are some nice level 8 and 9 spells you probably don't want to miss.

5. Gothmog

Arent there 7 levels of priest spells???
    At least that was so in BG. Anyway i can still reach 19 wisdom with 14 in the beggining as you get 5 points through the game.

And all those amulets: Do they give you extra spells???

6. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31

Unlike 2nd edition, there are now nine levels of priest/druid spells.

Increased wisdom definitely increases the number of spells you can cast though I am not sure exactly by how much. My druid has a natural wisdom of 21 and gets one extra spell from levels 1-5. With her amulet, her wisdom increases to 25 and she gets 2 extra first level spells, and one additional from levels 2-7.

7. Gothmog

With how much wisdom do you advise me to start then?? :confused:
    What about rase(i still havent chosen which one to choose :( ). I wanted to have a dwarf but as soon as i saw his legs i changed my mind. Now i'm without a chosen rase ;) What do you think :confused:

I've just started a test game and until now i only got the option insight and no persuade even if i had persuade skill at max=6 for level 3. Can priests(druids) even persuade???

Oh yeah another thing i'm gonna wear medium armor and IIRC the max dex bonus for it is 2. Is that right?

[ September 20, 2002, 20:21: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

8. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31

Depends on your playing style. My druid is human and has the following stats:

STR: 14 / DEX: 13 / CON: 13 / INT: 10 / WIS: 21 (started at 16) / CHA: 10

Some magical items have boosted her STR to 19 and her WIS to 25. Since I generally play MP, I focus a lot on spell casting; healing spells for the party and some area-affect offensive spells. Then, if need be, I jump into melee and can still kick some butt.

I'll be honest, I was just playing around when creating this character and didn't really know what I was doing, having never played a druid before. I am extremely happy with how she turned out, mind you.

You're right about the max dexterity bonus being 2 when wearing medium armour, but my dexterity score is too low to even have a +2 bonus and I get along just fine.

9. Gothmog

I plan to have
    14str (+2)
    14dex (+2)
    10con (it changes when shapeshifted so i'll keep it low)
    10int (humans get an extra skill point anyway)
    16wis (OK i'll have a high wisdom :) :) )
    12cha (animal emphaty...)

It says in the description that con is important for not getting disrupted casting a spell. Does only a bonus (+0 in my case) stack with concentration??

I still dont know whats with that insight and persuade :( :confused:

I just had an :idea: With power attack and cleave later doesnt work well for druids average BAB. But when he is shapeshifted that could work wery well :eek: as shapeshifted he gets new BAB.
    Are there any other feats you automaticly get while shapeshifted??

[ September 21, 2002, 07:33: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    About the persuade-thing:

If your persuade-rank (charisma) is high, you have a better chance to persuade an NPC. If the 'persuade-roll' matches the Difficulty Class or is higher, you can get more info or rewards when speaking to these NPC's.
    IMO, it can be very very useful.

I don't know what the insight-thing does, though.

For my soon-to-create Cleric, I choose
    16 Wis (I get that 17th at lvl.4)
    14 Chr (persuade and taunt)
    10 Dex
    12 Con
    10 Int
    14 Str
    This is when I have the Human race. But maybe I choose an Elf for better listen and spot checks (both Wisdom).

Anybody an Idee for what the 'best' race is for a Priest of Lathander?

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

About the insight: That is specifically possible based on your wisdom. If your character has a high enough one, you get an extra conversation topic that can usually simply give you a little help figuring out a puzzle or quest.

IMHO, Half-Elves make the best races for clerics, but elves and humans work well too. Human fits the role the best from an RP standpoint.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.