1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wireless network

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by aaa27aaa, Jun 28, 2012.

1. aaa27aaa Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

I am going to be setting up a wireless network at home but have never done this before. Any and all advice would be welcome.

2. koliva Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've got a couple of tips:

* Make sure it is encrypted. Currently, WPA2 is the best there is. If the access point doesn't support it, go for WPA instead. Stay away from WEP, because it can easily be hacked.
    * Don't pick a passphrase that can easily be guessed or that is based on common words. Google "password guidelines" and follow some of those tips.
    * Pick a channel that is as far away as possible from channels used by other wireless networks in your area. If your AP can automatically pick it, that's fine.
    * If the device has PIN-based Wi-Fi Protected Setup, disable it if you can.

That's all I can think of for now.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    With modern routers it's really quite easy, you basically just follow the on-screen instructions and the manual. Almost zero chance of something going wrong.

4. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Tal problem with that is thats not the most secure or the best option since that is just to get you up and running. After you go through the onscreen setup you wanna go through and tick off wifi protected setup because there is a flaw that has been found that cna easily break the code for it which bypasses wpa2. You also wanna make sure you use WPA2 over WPA and WEP. Since I am lucky to have only like 2 wifi networks around me besides my own I am pretty lucky that I can basically choose any channel to use but you will want to look around you for other networks and see what channels they use.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Securing the network is well covered in all routers' manuals, that's what I was saying. I'm relatively sure the setup of my new TP-Link made a point to warn me about it during the installation.

6. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Tal I didnt say not to use the onscreen setup I said to do that and then to tweak the sttings afterwards to get the most out of the router. Similair to what you do with a tv when you first get it. You know get it up and running them go in and tweak it so that it preforms better and look better.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.