1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Will this work (check it out, this is probably a fresh one!)?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Klorox, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

It's actually a 2 part question:

1) Can my CG Gnome Cleric/Illusionist don the Helm of Opposite Alignment, become LE, and then wear the Robes of the Evil Archmagi?

2) Can I then cast "Remove Curse", take the helmet off (keeping the Evil Robes on), and put on a different helmet?

TIA.

EDIT: When I import to BG2, all of my stuff would be removed, and my alignment shifted back to CG, wouldn't it?

[ October 04, 2006, 15:05: Message edited by: Klorox ]

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmmh, I think the robes would stay. But should you click them by mistake, it would again be unsuable until the helmet is used.

3. Hethan the Skald Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Yes, it's something about the engine you can exploit.

It works even in BG2, when I used to give Viconia the Crom Faeyr so she could use armor and shields her strength wouldn't allow. When I switched back to a sling, she wouldn't drop anything.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Just a question, why wouldn't you just don the Robe of the Good Archmagi? Sorry I'm just curious ...

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Yes, it'll work exactly as you figure.

@SS:
    Because the Evil robe is free (off of Davaeorn), and the Good robe isn't. That's what I'm betting on, anyway.

Though to get the helmet, you'd either have to cheat it in or have some mod that puts it on the Demonknight or wherever it's "supposed to be". Which seems like a lot more trouble than just buying a robe from Thalantyr.

6. starwalker Gems: 16/31

Specially since a good aligned character probably has more than enough reputation and possibly even charisma to cut the price in half if not a little bit more and there is more than enough money in the game to buy the robe. When your buying two of them is where it starts to get expensive again.

7. Klorox

Imoen already has the Good Robes, and since my protagonist is a Cleric/Illusionist, he can put on the Helm.

Anyway, I tested this, and it works until you rest. When you rest, the robes are removed and put into your inventory.

This would have been a very expensive way to keep the Evil robes, so I just held the stuff until the final fight.

8. starwalker Gems: 16/31

your other option would have been just to let the alignment stay evil since it doesn't really affect anything in the game.

9. Klorox

starwalker, I wanted to put the Helm of Balduran back on. In a game where I refuse to reload, I really wanted the saving throw bonus and the extra HP.

10. starwalker Gems: 16/31

Aaah ok. that would make a big difference.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Once you die does that mean you HAVE to start all over again Klorox?

12. Klorox

Yep. I'm in Chapter 2 of SoA now.

13. raptor Gems: 16/31

My respect to you Klorox! that is a worthy archivement! (that i know that i could not accomplish myself)

14. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Off topic, but I'm going to have to call you on this one Fel.

You can get the helm from the demonknight without entirely cheating, but only by killing him on the ground floor level on Durlags Tower. The only way I'm aware you can do this is Ottilukes Resilient sphere on the demon knight, and beat him up with fists and haste (which still deal damage through the sphere - depends if you count this as cheating) keep pounding until he's unconscious and the sphere runs out, then a single strike of a weapon. The helm is on the body.

15. Klorox

Yep, that's how I did it! (I just don't want to post spoilers unless people ask for them)

BTW, this tactic works on every baddie in the game, as far as I can tell. And even if it isn't cheating, it's very cheesey.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.