1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Will the US election affect the UK?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Silvery, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Over the past few years, everything that has happened in US politics seems to have had some effect on the UK

How much of an effect will the upcoming US election have? Will it affect us at all?

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll take the liberty of intentionally going somewhat off-topic so that we don't end up with 100 threads titled "Will the US election affect (insert country here)"

I think it's safe to say that, given the US's position in the world, the outcome of the election will have an impact on pretty much everyone, whether it be because of foreign policy, fiscal policy, or whatever. What the US does affects eveybody to a certain degree.

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I think what will impact things more (in a sense it is the election, though) is how much of the much promised 'change' the winner will actually try/succeed to bring about.

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

As Splunge said, the US' policy and general influence in economic and social affairs means that their choice of president will have some effect pretty much anywhere. Now, it might not be particularly strongly felt, but I'd say it will be there. Actually, the UK would probably be affected particularly strongly, as afaik British politicians generally follow Washington's lead in many issues, particularly foreign policy ones.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  5. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Yes, massively. The US president is the most powerful person in the world and the US dominates pretty much every facet of life. The UK will be one fo the countries most affected. The UK has been the US's biggest partner in the whole Afghanistan/Iraq affair. The UK will probably still follow the US's lead in pulling troops out and this is likely to happen sooner under Obama than McCain (though I suspect realities may mean Obama will still have to wait a while before it's feasible).

Economics is also a massive factor, the US generally drives the world and the UK is heavily linked to the American economy. The whole credit crunch downturn has its roots in the US but that hasn't stopped it hitting the UK hard. Obama is also likely to be more protectionist than McCain, hampering international trade. This is bad for the global economy and for the likes of the City, which has many American employers.

Those are the two main points I would say but it really will impact on what seems like trivial things. Greenday, for example, owe much of their renaissance to an album which was a powerful tirade against Bush's America!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.