1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Will it all end in smoke and fire?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Jaguar, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

[​IMG] There are many theories posted on these boards about nuclear weapons, and the 'Mad Man' theory. But will this really be the end of the world.

Will humanity end with the push of a button and the launch of nuclear missles?

Will we push the limits of science and find better, quicker, more efficient ways of destroying ourselves?

Or am I just being a pessimist. I think that the collective minds on this site can get a pretty diverse response, so here is the question;

How will the world end? (And please note that is is a serious question)

2. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate
    To say that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

--Robert Frost

Gazing into eternity...
    Ere the foundations of the earth were laid,

Thou wert. And when the subterranean flame
    Shall burst its prison and devour the frame,
    Thou shalt be still as Thou wert before
    And know no change, when time shall be no more.

Rig Veda (Colebrooke)

3. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think the possibility of nuclear holocaust are at an all time lowest. Not even during the cold war do I think there was a high chance of these weapons being used. The cost is simply too high. Why is war waged? To take possession of land, and to increase the amount of power against ones enemies. War is not simply about exterminating the other part. There has to be a gain in the end.

If you look at the world right now, there aren't any great tensions between the great powers on earth. The US and Europe are, although not without some conflicts, cooperating and to be considered allies. Russia, while still pursuing own interests, are still coming closer to the west.

The two other major nations on earth, India and China, (Both have nuclear weapons) are not being aggressive either. India is the world largest democrasy, although they do have some skirmishes with their pakistanian neighbour, who also happend to be a nuclear power. This might be the biggest treat at the moment for nuclear warfare, but if it got that far, I still don't think it would include the rest of the world.

Regarding China, yes they are communist, but if you look at the development of their society, I think it will just be a matter of time, before they evolve into a more democratic society. Offcourse, this process takes time, but so have the development of our own societies. As for chineese aggression, they seem to have their own domestic problem to focus on at the moment.

I think in the future nuclear weapons will be rendered obsolete as a WMD. Evolution of warfare will render them useless. Use of tactical nukes might still be a weapon on the battlefield though. This is not saying that there is never going to be another war. Knowing human nature, it'll just be a question of time before another great war strikes mankind. But wars will still be fought with convential weapons when that time comes.

4. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think we're close to the brink again. If Bush goes into Syria...

5. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

But do you really think that Bush would go into Syria. I mean, he has already used the weapons of mass destruction excuse.

I think that even Bush isn't stupid enough to try that again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.