1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WikiLeaks

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Atmer, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Have anyone seen this site: WikiLeaks .

I’m a little unsure on this one; it has a great deal of potential, but the risks of misusing seem immense. I’m also wandering on the legality of such a site.

What’re your opinions on it?

2. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

First thought--neat!
    Second thought--going to be a scandal rag for every nutcase on the web.

It would be nice if it turns out to be like it says but who checks facts if it can't be edited or did I miss something?

3. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Looks like something great. I just hope that the original documents and perhaps testimonies remain unedited/uneditable.

4. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I believe that in a long term, fake documents would be correctly discarded

What worries me is how would the site deal, for example, with leaks of documents (real or fake) close to an election? Some document leaks could just blow out of proportion, and that sort of thing can change who wins and who loses.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It is not the job of the site to "select" which ones are published and which ones are not, no matter the timing. After all, elections with millions of votes are hardly affected by one website.

So it's a good thing, hopefully promoting free flow of information, which is bad for evil admins of any kind. :)

6. Atmer

Unless the website has a huge effect on the news coverage, which, I think, can happen with this one.

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I fear the site will become home to all kinds of conspiracy theories, Holocaust denials, and during election campaigns: slander, smears and lies. That way, the site will be discredited and will not be taken seriously when real documents are leaked. Unless the founders actively monitor and moderate it, which means they exact a (political) influence over what gets leaked.

I hope the site can serve its stated purpose, but I have strong misgivings.

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't think this is going to work. It's a nice idea, but the conspiracy theory crackpots and pranksters are probably going to fill it with so much **** that you can't differentiate the true stuff from the crap.

9. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I see this as a dumping ground for the conspiricy theories of the world. While Wikipedia has a clean reputation, this could end badly for them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.