1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Widescreen mod

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Old One, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Found an interesting little mod that allows widescreen use for the IWD & BG series from a sticky here that goes to G3 site. I tried to install it for BG2 Tob and keep having it stall almost compleated with the error "Unable to find DIALOG.TLK" anyone know anything?:bang:

2. WurstBane

WurstBane Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I once had same error with mod installing. I hadn't extracted mod contents in game folder before installing.

3. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

@WurstBane
    Tried that if I understand you right. I put the zip file into the directory I was installing into and nada. I cannot even find the file it (the zip) seems to be looking for. Very frustrating.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You need to extract the contents of the zip file into the BG2 directory (using the extract command in the zip file), then run the setup file that was extracted.

I've had the same problem, and this was the solution.

5. Old One

@Splunge
    Tried that a few times, same error. The mod works fine with IWD2 so I went looking on G3 for one that is BG2 only but no luck. I'll try something else later.

Found the file widescreen was looking for, right there but it still craps out on the last language file just before it asks for settings!

Splunge, do you have a copy of the widescreen mod you used? I keep seeing reference to 3.02 not 3.05 when refering to BGI & II. For BG the page is missing when I try to tag the link.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  6. Son of Imoen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Widescreen Mod 3.05 puts a faulty reference in the WeiDu log, it will say it's 3.02 even though it's 3.05. A slight oversight that should have no consequenses.

Are you sure the Dialogue.tlk fil is in your BG directory? Did you per chance install Baldur's Gate inside Windows 7 or Vista's Program Files? If so, it's very advisable to de-install the game and re-install it in another directory (like C:bad:Games\Baldur's Gate 2 for example) as Windows will put parts of the game in a Virtual Store folder instead of the real game folder. That might also be a cause.

Once you've installed it in C:bad:Games\Baldur's Gate 2 (or whatever you named the folders), browse to that directory as the destination folder when you open widescreen-v3.05.exe and it should put setup-widescreen.exe into your game folder (if you just click install it will pick the default 'C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA' as default folder and not find the game)'.

Then open setup-widescreen.exe inside your game folder and it should work.

7. Old One

@Son of Imoen
    Dialog.tlk is in my game directory. I will try what you suggest tomorow and see what happens. Thanks.

8. Old One

Tried and tried to get everything working! IWDs work fine and am very pleased with the results. BG and BG2 driving me crazy. One wierd thing though, as soon as I removed BG2 for a new install BGtutu worked with the mod after repeted failure. This gave me BG to play and made my day. I have no explanation whatsoever. As both of the BGs crap out it must be something either I or win7 are doiing. I do -not- think it is the mod and will keep trying BG2 as I love this game. I have to give a high recommendation for G3s widescreen mod, anything that can make the old games work with modern resolutions is a gift to everyone who plays! Bye the bye I played all of tutu with no problems and if you load the level 50 mod for BG2 you get back the old ex points for thief and mage scrolls. Locks and traps become level raisers again. This was my only gripe about tutu.

9. Son of Imoen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I've been thinking about what goes wrong with your install. Getting Tutu working but not BG2 or BG1 itself gets me vexed. Have you searched for an answer on the Gibberlings 3 widescreen mod forum. There are people there that are more tech-savvy than I am, you might make an account and ask there if a search on the forum doesn't reveal the answer.

And the problem might very well be something Windows 7 is doing. 2 things to keep Windows 7 from messing with modding your install is: 1. install out of program files, like i explained in my post above, 2. (actually, do that first if you attempt it again) turn off UAC (User Account Control): Configuration Screen>User Accounts>Change User Accounts>Change settings for User Accounts (I translated from Dutch, actual voicing in your language might be a bit different). Then turn the setting all the way down untill you finished modding your install.

Another thing that you should look at in your BG2 install, is if the paths are pointing the right way in baldur.ini under [Alias]. Open baldur.ini (ini might not show, it might just be called baldur if you've hidden known file extensions in the folder view settings, but it's the one with a general file icon, instead of the BG-icon) with Notepad, and on top of the file, the file paths are shown (looking something like this:

[Alias]
    HD0:=C:bad:Games\Black Isle\Baldurs Gate II\
    CD1:=C:bad:Games\Black Isle\Baldurs Gate II\data\
    CD2:=C:bad:Games\Black Isle\Baldurs Gate II\data\
    CD3:=C:bad:Games\Black Isle\Baldurs Gate II\data\
    CD4:=C:bad:Games\Black Isle\Baldurs Gate II\data\
    CD5:=C:bad:Games\Black Isle\Baldurs Gate II\data\
    CD6:=C:bad:Games\Black Isle\Baldurs Gate II\data\

If the paths (after the =) are different than the real path you installed the game into, it causes problems with playing, but maybe it also causes problems with mod install if the setup-widescreen.exe looks at baldurs.ini to find your Dialogue.tlk (I don't know, but it might be).

But again, people at Gibberlings3 know more about the tech-stuff than I do.

10. Old One

@Son of Imoen
    Sorry took so long to get back, fighting video card and playing BGtutu, mostly the latter. I will try to see if I can do anything with your new information in the next few days. First I have to find out why the drivers for a 220 series video card blue screen my computer! I'll soon have no hair left from pulling it all out. Thanks again for your help.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.