1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why Portraits don't work?!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Ofelix, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I've download a portraits, but it doesn't work on the game! why? it has all the required label, 110 X 170 pixel for the Large, 38 X 60 Pixel for the small, they are both in 24 bit of "depth" but this portraits just don't work!!!!!

[ January 08, 2003, 09:39: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Are you sure that your portraits are bitmap pictures (*.bmp)?

3. Nathaniel of Candlekeep Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

this is straight out of the read me file:

Custom Portraits:

The measurements for player portraits are 38X60 pixels for
    the smaller portraits (8-bit color runs faster but it can be
    up to 24 bit color), and 110X170 pixels for the larger
    portraits. To use a custom portrait, place it in the
    Portraits directory (in the install directory for the game)
    and add an S to the end of the small portrait name and an L
    to the end of the large portrait - otherwise the two names
    must be identical. The names must be 1-7 letters long,
    maximum - so the filename with the S or L added to the end
    is no longer than 8 total characters. The portrait files
    must be in BMP format.

For example:
    XXXXXXXS.bmp for small (38x60, 8-bit)
    XXXXXXXL.bmp for large (110x170, 24-bit)

by the way for the small portraits i was never able to get them to work with anything but 8 bit. You will need a program like photoshop to alter the bit depth.

4. Faded Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

(This may be a bit redundant, considering Nathaniel's post. I reply nonetheless, just in case my post in your other thread caused some confusion)

If you need to override portraits for NPCs in the game, they need to be placed in the override directory. Portraits for custom characters must be placed in the "Portraits" directory. If such a directory does not exist, you need to create it in the BG install directory.

5. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Some of the downloaded files have names with more than 7 characters.

Change them to another with 7 or less.

8 if you include the L or S...

Edit:
    This was the mistake I made last week.
    I found a real cool one and was in a hurry to make my character and didn't count the letters in the file name. One too many... :lol:
    I almost posted here asking why it didn't work, but re-read the readme one last time. 7 letters max!

[ January 17, 2003, 01:10: Message edited by: Aces ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.