1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why on earth do they bring kids to this movie?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mollusken, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I went to see LotR for the second time today, but this time the experience was somewhat different.

The movie was just as great as the first time, but the audience this time was not the same. Half of them were kids! All the time there was noise somewhere in the room, and frequently I heard someone talking and commenting scenes or how scared they were. I just got mader and mader, and at the end of the movie when Boromir is almost dead a stupid kid laughs because Aragorn chops the arm and head off an orc. That is not a funny part of the movie! But when Gandalf sets off a small firework to satisfy some young hobbits, I seem to be the only one laughing.

Ban children from the movie next time please. They have no clue on what it is about, and they can't possibly understand anything of it.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I had a friend that was seated to a couple of kids that where about 5 years old when he went to see the movie for a second time.

The poor kids were shaking by fear for the most part of the movie. I think the age limit should be 15 not 11 as it is in Sweden. It is a scary movie.

3. Erm... HELLO?!?!?! age 15?! That means *I* wouldn't see it!!! Do you think that I would start screaming in the middle of the movie?! Sheesh, not *all* SP members are 15 and above. I don't mean to flame, but it's *outragous* to think that I'm not old enough to control myself. Next time, consider some people *under* 15 come to the boards :flaming::mad::flaming:

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In Sweden the rules apply in this way. If a movie is rated from 15 kids from 11 years of age can go with an adult(18). If a film is rated 11 everyone above 7 years of age can see it in company with an adult. If a movie is rated from 7 years everyone can see it in company of an adult.
    What I didnt want to see in the cinema is poor scared seven year olds that wont get a thing about what the movie is about.

5. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Mollusken, I brought my 4 year old daughter to see the movie and she loved it. She was none too pleased about Bilbo's scary transformation at times (only because in the cartoon they portray him as this sweet little guy with a cool little sword), but all in all, she did rather well in not disturbing the audience (aside from proclaiming at the begininning "THAT'S GANDALF" :D). She also understood that things like "the orcs" is just pretend. It just depends on how the individual child understands the difference between fantasy and real life. Some kids are easily scared and have nightmares... Knowing my daughter, I knew it wouldn't be a problem. I want her to appreciate fantasy and by buying her the Hobbit cartoon and bringing her to the movie is my way of introducing her in the hopes that she will grow to love it as I do.
    It really depends on the child and how patient the child is. You are correct in that the child won't understand it... but I want her to be familiar with it. I brought her because I knew she wouldn't be a problem. Why other people bring their children is beyond me. Besides, She fell asleep for the past hour and a half anyway :p. As far as allowing other children in to see it...well... seeing as how (with the exception of my daugther) I don't like kids...I don't think they should see it either :p

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited December 31, 2001).]

6. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

LOTR should be a 15 in my opinion because of its scenes of violence and scenes that may scare even some 14 year olds. And godess don't take any offense...in case you hadn't realised you are not like every ther 12 year old in the world :p

7. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Do you ever get it when little people (no not hobbits or Gimli) ask you silly little questions like "whats that?" or "why did he do this?" etc. It drives me nuts!

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Moron kids are not the only scum that can ruin even to see a bad film :D all kind of people with mobile phones are probably worse. I cannot get why it is not allowed to smoke at the movies but no one thinks it's necessary to tell people to *turn off* mobiles in cinema.

When I saw LOTR two *adult* idiots felt the urgent need to answer phonecalls on their mobiles ..... one of them needed a while to find it in the darknes and was searching and searching and cursing while it was beeping a brutally raped mozard melody ..... :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last time this happened to me (someone's mobile ringing during the movie), I practically yelled what kind of ignorant moron doesn't turn off his mobile before going to see a movie. Then everything was silent. I found out a while later that the guy whose mobile rang sat almost next to me. :D

It did shut him up, though. :p

10. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] What should really be banned is 14 year old girls. At least those around here. There were some sitting near by me the third time I went to see the movie. Then in the middle of the movie they left. A few minutes later they came back, but on the way in one of them kicked into something on the floor, making a huge lot of noise. As if that wasn't annoying enough, they sat there giggling loudly for what seemed like an eternity after that, sometimes falling into open laughter. Very annoying, at least for those of us who were there to enjoy the movie.

Now the kids there on the other hand, were pretty much quiet all three times I saw it.

11. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I agree that it is extremely annoying to go to a movie and have kids yell, scream, and be general nuisances. However, I think that if a parent believes that his/her child/children can handle it, then it's OK. Just make sure they take them to the early show so as not to disturb Adult's (and I use that term loosely). I do like the standing up and calling grown-ups ignorant. It is our responsibility to point out to people that they are being obnoxous. The Movie was great. Can't wait for the next one.

12. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

It's not so much the little ones that I have issues with, though I agree that they should be taken to a matinee where they'll disturb less grownups, it's the damn teenagers I have problems with.

Last night I was at the movie, and there was a group of about 15 kids ranging from 14 to about 17, and they were the single most irriatating group of people I have ever encountered at a movie, or anywhere. From the time they arrived, it was non-stop standing up-sitting down, shuffling around, talking and laughing loudly, phones ringing constantly, running from here to there, half of them were turned around facing the back so they could talk to their friends, I could go on. Finally, right around the romantic part between Arwen and Aragorn, my husband leaned forward and growled "If you're gonna have a f**kin party, take it outside" And they did. They got up and left.

Now, why the hell would you pay 9 bucks to see a movie (a great movie, at that) just to ignore it?

13. Im 11 years old, by the way. Dont say that LOTR should be rated that way. It should be rated like no idiots who yell, sing,laugh all the time, dont turn their mobiles off and such.

14. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Mobile phones? Are you talking about cell phones?

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] yep, mobile phones, cell phones or german handys - all the same ;)

16. Lord Sarevok Guest

[​IMG] Oh, I know, the stupid teenagers are the worst.

There was some 15 year old playing around with his pager(or was it a cell phone?)infront of me through half the movie. What the hell does a *15* year old need a pager for?!

The parents around here spoil their kids rotten, and don't teach them any manners or respect(or even self-respect, if they had any they wouldn't be such morons).

Like in a resteraunt a few nights ago some 12 year old kid was tapping on his table very loudly, annyoing everyone around him, but his parents just sat there totally oblivious. If I ever did something like that(which I never would) my parents would tell me to go wait in the car if I'm going to act like an asshole. Only way to shut the little bastard up was muttering(loudly enough so his parents could hear it), "Someone shut that damn kid up".

At least it wasn't as bad as when I went to see the "Titanic" there was some little 5 year old girl asking questions to her mother every five seconds such as, "Did he die"? Grr...it's wasn't the little girl's fault, she's five years old. What kind of mother brings their little daughter to a movie containing nudity?! Has the whole world gone insane or what?

Oh, by the way, this is all coming from a 14 year old.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited January 01, 2002).]

17. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The topic of immature people can go on for a very long time. And NO, it's not just kids. Please watch the digression. I think this is one of those topics that might be classified as "Soap Box." All of of us realize that the world is full of people that don't respect others.

"And that's all I have to say about that"
    (Forrest Gump)

18. Lord Sarevok Guest

Yeah, well I didn't start the topic. I was mainly saying that it's the parent's fault that they don't take enough responsibility to teach their kids what I was taught. I'm sure a lot of them do, however, it's just the few idiots that make everyone look bad.

19. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If you are going to disturb, you have nothing to do in a cinema. Kids are the ones most likely to disturb, and therefor should not be allowed.

20. Gash Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

.....All kids are individuals though, my 13 year old sister has happily sat through the movie 3 times. To just outrightly ban kids from the cinema is just facist.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.