1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why not use the CO8 mod the first time through?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by JohnJSal, Sep 17, 2009.

1. JohnJSal Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm not a big replayer...I just have too many other games to play to "waste" time replaying a game. So is there any problem with using the CO8 mod the first time through, if you know you'll never play again? Does it change so much that it won't even be like playing the original game?

Thanks.

2. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Nah, go for it. You'll have a lot of bug fixes and a few optional quests, locations, and items.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I did it that way and I consider it one of my better decisions. I very much enjoyed the game.

4. JohnJSal Gems: 2/31

So if I install the CO8 mod, do I still need to install the patches, or does the mod take care of all that?

5. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Don't install patch 3, for more information check this.

Earl Grey likes this.
  6. JohnJSal Gems: 2/31

Thanks! Is there a list of all the things the modpack does to the game?

7. Caradhras

Media:
    Here. See this thread for discussions about the mod.

Hope that helps (I don't think pasting the readme would do much at this point). ;)

8. JohnJSal Gems: 2/31

Thanks again!

---------- Added 0 hours, 6 minutes and 13 seconds later... ----------

What about the one called "Temple of Elemental Evil Unofficial Patch" by Moebius? Is that a duplicate of the official patches, or can that be installed with them and/or with Co8? Or if I choose not to install Co8, should I do the Moebius patch?

Thanks.

9. Caradhras

Media:
    Unless I'm seriously mistaken it's not needed with the Co8 mod. Just apply patches 1 and 2 then the Co8 modpack.

That being said I'm not an expert as far as ToeE is concerned. ;)

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That is what I used, 1 & 2, then the Mod. It worked out well.

11. JohnJSal Gems: 2/31

But if I choose not to use the mod, should I do patch 3 and the Moebius patch?

12. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I would use Patch 3 only if you encounter the loot bug. Otherwise, it's not necessary. The unofficial patch is basically covered in the Mod. If you don't like the extra options, don't install it, it's just a matter of personal taste.

13. JohnJSal Gems: 2/31

Ok, so what exacty is the loot bug? You can't loot things at all?

As for the unofficial patch, assuming you *don't* install the Co8 mod, does the unofficial patch fix anything major that makes it almost necessary?

14. Blades of Vanatar

The loot bug is self-explanatory, you can't pickup the loot from your dead enemies. It is a real pain in the arse.

The unofficial patch is not necessary for gameplay, that it fixes alot of "major" bugs is debatable. The loot bug was the only major issue thta I ahve come across. It's a matter of opinion. It does give you more gameplay options though, which is nice. If you don't go with Co8, I would use it.

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Totally play with Circle of 8 the first time. I wouldn't play without it.

16. JohnJSal Gems: 2/31

I guess my only qualm is that, even though I don't plan to play the game a second time, I don't want to alter it so much (with Co8) that I don't even actually play the game as it was originally designed. I assume the main quest stays the same, but does Co8 integrate itself into the game so as to change the original game, or is it just more features added on top of (and separate from) the original?

17. Blades of Vanatar

Co8 doesn't change the game much, only in ways that are needed and helpful. With some added new areas. But not many. I say try it. Don't run ToEE by itself, it's lacking without the fixes of the Mods/Patches.

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Think of ToEE as a puzzle you bought at the store. Out of 300 pieces, there's only 274 in the box, and the missing pieces are all in the middle (ruining the puzzle without them). No luck getting the remaining 26 pieces, since they all shipped that way and the puzzle factory went out of business. Now, think of the Circle of 8 as a bunch of dudes who bought the same puzzle, did their best to create the remaining 26 pieces from scratch, and since they know how much you love puzzles too, released the remaining 26 pieces for all to enjoy. Puzzles kick ass!

Basically - Co8 aims to make the game as playable as possible as it was originally intended, with a few extra frills added in that you probably won't notice the difference they make. Install and enjoy without reservations. :)

19. JohnJSal Gems: 2/31

Heh, nice analogy. :) I assumed the official patches were those other 26 pieces, but that could be a dangerous assumption, given what I've read about the bugs in the game! :)

20. Sparky The Barbarian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I had no choice. The game simply would not run without the mod.

Shame on Atari.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.