1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why Macs suck!

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Undertaker, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The real irony is that the clip was made by a video editing house that exclusively uses Macs. Having used Macs myself for more years than I care to count, I have to admit that almost every little thing in the video has happened to me at least once. Sometimes more.

There's a much higher quality version of the video on Al Lowe's website at http://www.allowe.com/Humor/video.htm#MoreAds

You could visit www.happynowhere.net for some interesting correspondence the clip creators have received.

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    :lol: Oh my! My skills drive my PC crazy, I think a mac would just explode if I'm using it! (Considering what he said is true)

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

These are the computers used in most Hollywood movies. I must agree with the fuzzy quality of the camera and tinny echo with the sound.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

A little bit old news; saw that flick about two weeks ago. Truth to tell, now that we are talking about "Macs vs. PC and Star Wars vs. Star Trek", macs seems to be rather underdeveloped in functions. I mean: even Linux, which was originally meant for coders, is nowdays a whole lot better than OSX.

6. Ziad

Media:
    The problem with MacOS X is that Apple's claim that it's a "real" UNIX is simply not true. It's a UNIX kernel (and a pretty good one too), with the same old MacOS 8 and 9 system on top of it (Aqua). It's in a way a mirror image of what Microsoft have done with Windows XP (where you have a pretty good window system running on top of a glorified DOS 2 kernel, combined with the Windows 3.0 library system. Not a pretty mix). And let's face it, MacOS 9 was not good. At all.

The best thing about MacOS X is that you can run X11 on top of Aqua, and you end up with a true UNIX environment. However, if you're doing that, then why bother with a Mac? Buy a PC and install any free UNIX, or a Linux distribution - the end result is the same, for a much cheaper price.

Naturally things like Combustion and Final Cut Pro (and to some extent Adobe's image suite) work most efficiently on a Mac, and so some people get stuck with them. And for some reason unknown to me some people actually LIKE Macs. My boss is one of them, even though her Mac (a top of the line G5, no less) was driving her insane. Go figure.

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Back when the fist iMac was released I remember my dad was seriously thinking about getting one because there were "cute"... :bang:

Apparently Apple has held true to that single marketing scheme...and sadly, it has worked! :bang: :flaming:

At my work we are currently making microchips for Apple's new Intel based laptop. So if any of you are dumb enough to get it, rest assured that at least the *power* end of it's circuitry won't fail on you! :hahaerr: :rolling:

8. Ziad

Media:
    :lol:

Actually they've changed the marketing approach with their new Intel chips. Now it's all about the Intel chip being "free" after spending years "imprisoned in a dull little box performing dull little tasks".

I did almost bang my head against the wall when I saw that ad. It has got to be the worst of the worst computer marketing has seen.

The whole thing with "cuteness" did start with the first iMac, and carries on now. Just look at one of their standard mice. It looks lovely, but you wish it would just WORK PROPERLY!!!!

Worry not Kitrax, we ARE getting an Apple/Intel laptop! After a week of cursing her G5 and saying she would never buy an Apple again, my boss has decided to get a new laptop... and she chose that one. Not to mention she wants it in order to install ARB (a sequence alignment software) on it, claiming that ARB is a Mac-only software. Even though ARB is a Linux software that was PORTED to MacOS (and the port, apparently, isn't very good). Sigh.

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Some people deserve what is coming. :shake:

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Macs are vile, never use a mac.

11. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I shall be guided by all of your wisdom, I will not use a MAC for anyghing other than a boat anchor. :D

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The best computer I ever had was a Mac. I was so disappointed when Windows PCs took over the world because the Mac system was so superior. I would use a Mac now if they weren't so expensive and so incompatible.

13. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

generally i like linux best, but just really learning it now.

then windows

and then OSX

and yes i know that linux is just a kernel

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Linux is not just a kernel.

15. Ziad

Media:
    It is, isn't it? :hmm:

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Why would you say that? The Linux kernel is one small part of the Linux OS...

17. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    As much as i regret saying this, i have a microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard combo, and they work perfectly, they even came with free batteries, i havnt had a single problem with them, which is unusual for Microsoft products.

:edit: just realized you were talking about iMac mice, kinda off topic i suppose

My flat mate recently got an Apple Laptop (Dunno which kind) and he was talkin to me about it, and the only point he had was about how small and thin it was, every other point about it sucked, like the Hard drive size and proccessor speed etc...

18. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Linux is the kernel. In order to use it, you have to install a distrobution like Suse or Slackware or Red Hat or whatever. I've only used Knoppix and Slackware, but they contain different package systems and different software. Though they do contain the same framework: the Linux kernel.

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    The distributions contain much more than just an OS, they contain many different applications. Just like a Windows OS contains things like IE or a calculator or whatever that are not part of the OS itself.

There is a difference between the Linux kernel and the Linux OS and there are also differences in what you get with the various distributions.

20. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

You know, Macs are now powered by normal PC processors and use normal Windows XP, so guess this is "the end" for them being a separate platform. Much like Alienware's rigs, Macs are probably just another, rather expensive setup.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.