1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why is this forum still here?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 3' started by Marceror, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    From everything I've read, this project was canned some time ago. Does someone know something that I don't about this topic (i.e. is the game still in development in some top secret facility in Bolivia?), or has this forum become more of a nostalgic, "wouldn't it be cool if" sort of thing? Or perhaps, since this is the 2nd time BG3 has been announced and later canned, are we just waiting around for the next announcement that BG3 is in development and hoping the third time's the charm? ;)

2. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

How do you know about the operation in Bolivia! :eek: - now you mention it i was wondering exactly the same thing. :confused:

3. Caldera Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Was there a statement that they were not making BG3?

I know the years of silence pretty much mean that, and I have all but given up the idea of it being made, but I have not read an official statement from Atari or read anything here in the news sections.

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, it might be made in year 20XX, announcing itself to be "descendant of highly nostalgic, althought very poorly made by novaday's standards, Baldu's Gate 2"
    And, judging from where the whole game industry is going, it would be just 3 hours of playtime, and 40000000+ hours of incredibly detailed, beautifully made, highly realistic 3D movies. And then it would be said to be "So much better and more playable than it's predecessors." And millions of kids would laugh to the real BGs and say that only this latest one was truly playable.
    And you can bet I would be and old man with cane, preaching about old good times.
    "Ye young no-goods! In me youth, there be no these newfangled games with no playability! In me youth, ye had to move the characters yeself, continue damn dialogues yourselves and damn right ye had to fight yerself! And it be a million times more enjoyable than this novadays s**t! Baldur's gate be bloody good game, this new one be not!!"

And then the kids with their virtual realities and highly realistic robotic servants would laugh at me and call me crazy. :D :D

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    We can start now if you wish. LOL

6. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

So, as this topic stats, IS THERE A POINT anymore or what???

7. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Of course there is. This forum promotes hope, and faith in humankind.

:p

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Who cares? It's the admin's board and he can do what he wants with it. Unless you mean the whole BoM, in which case I have to wonder the same. Wonders of life, maybe? :p

9. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, not to be overly obvious here, but I can think of at least one person... the guy who started this thread comes to mind.

I completely agree; however, the last time I checked it wasn't illegal to ask a question!

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Hey, just stating the obvious. Don't take it too seriously.

IMO, it would be better to place forums according of what has been released and what has been officially dated to be released. The admin thinks otherwise, so that's why this forum is still here. Hence "he can do whatever he wants to do with it."

11. Marceror

Media:
    Or, perhaps he shares the same veiled hope that I do, which is that a certain developer (which shall remain nameless, but is currently developing NWN2), is soon to wrap up a really big project, (which shall also remain nameless, except for the fact I just named it) and might just end up with some additional bandwith on its hands to pick up a new project.

Yeah, now I think I'm dreaming.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    1. As I've said here about a dozen times over the last couple of years, BG3 will be released at some point in the future. Just as Doom 3 was released, even if it took a (long) while. Publishers don't let hot licences and brand/name recognition go to waste. If there's one thing you can count on in the world of gaming, it's that you WILL get sequels to games that sell very well.

2. There are quite a few BG3 threads in this forum. It makes sense to keep them here, as well as the forum.

3. There will be more BG3 threads in the future, as well as speculative threads, or wish lists, or whatever, even if there is no more official news for some time. It equally makes sense to gather them all here.

So this is just a very quick take on "why is this forum still here".

13. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I´m near my 30´s rigth now, and all this makes me remember when I was (very) young and a new Hollywood movie arrives to these shores:The Terminator!
    It was (for me) the best movie ever, and I love the effects,the story,the plot and the final figth.
    Many years later, the sequel just blew my mind.No comparission,better effects,better plot,better fitghs,ahhhh....I´ll never forget it(still watch it when I get the chance)
    Then,someday in the future...the third part.
    So many people try to convince me "this is even better than the last"(mostly TV payed movie critics),and I believe them(shame on me),just to find out a product made by the "Hollywood high standarts"(that means developed to make money and ****ing on fans expectances).
    When I walked out of the teather, I get the feeling that I was robed...excuse me mr. Schwarznegger,that´s not what I´ve payed for!
    I´m only hope that the history does not repeat itself!

14. Marceror

Media:
    I appreciate the detailed response Tal. It makes sense that it's just a matter of time (perhaps a lot of time) before something with the name "Baldur's Gate 3" hits the market. And, well, Boards of Magic will be well prepared when that day arrives ;) .

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  16. Bronze Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This forum is still there because hope is a dangerous thing to lose.

17. Geist Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I did have a weird dream that there was a new baldurs gate game. Its pretty fuzzy but there was something about spinning my guy and shooting simultaneous fireballs. Pretty sweet but weird.

18. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Come to think of it... What's really popular right now? That's right... MMO's there's liek 50 of them.

Baldur's Gate Online

...GOOD GAME

19. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

heh, I knew I wouldn't read anything new on this since i've been gone...

20. Otis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

What would the plot of a Baldur's Gate 3 even be like? Didn't they pretty much cover it with Throne of Bhaal?

I wouldn't mind a new Infinity Engine game, though. I just don't like NWN as much... to the point where NWN2 doesn't even really interest me.

[ January 30, 2007, 04:53: Message edited by: Otis ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.