1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why I hate Sirines

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Niskers, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

No real purpose here, just to vent on my last battle. I'm messing around with Sirines on the coast and they have that wonderfully annoying habit of hiding just beyond the sight of the last one so if you aren't careful you can get more than one. So the Sirines were dead...

And three worgs, two carrion crawlers, Khalid, Jaheira and Kivan were all chasing and trying to kill Imoen(mage), my theif PC and Branwen. I amazes me that I didn't have to reload and it only ended up costing me two healing potions and a couple of useless hold spells.

Needless to say, I enjoyed slaughtering everyone of those little singing annoyances.

</rant>

2. Eaglearrow Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Yes, the sirens can get very annoying, especially if you have to flee from your fighters...

I usually try to cast 'Hold Person' on my friend-turned-enemy character. Basilisks are worse though, because once turned to stone, you need a scroll.

3. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Summoning skeletons is particularly useful against the Sirines as they're immune to their Charm ability and they also seem to survive a surprisingly long time against the Sirines' attacks. Do Sirines fight with hand-to-hand weapons? I seem to think when I sent my skeletons against them, the Sirines kept trying to fire their arrows at them without much success.

I think a group of summoned skeletons managed to clear the entire area of Sirines.

Hate Sirines? Nah. They're worth 2,000 XP each and with a few summoned skeletons you can waste the whole lot of them.

4. Valer Gems: 7/31

I like them! They are realy a good XP boost for a low level character. I almost every time come here first - with my solo char :D - and simply kill them. If i am charmed, i just wait a little bit...

With party it can be solved also if you go out of the sight, and attack only with one, it is not a problem.

I think about 6 or 7 Sirines are there + 3 Golems in the cave. Total 20000XP, which is nice! At the end of the coastline, you can be at least 5th probably 6th level of anything... :p

I like the Basilisks also! There are scrolls against pertification. And protect magic scroll works too. :cool:

5. david w Gems: 19/31

Agreed. Basilisks are nice. 7,000 XP for an enemy who can't turn you to stone. Very nice indeed.

Maybe someone could do a combined Sirine/Basilisk creature (Sirlisk? Basine?) that can charm *and* turn to stone.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    With Sirines, just attack with a single character, preferably an elf, and keep the rest of the party at a distance. Even at relatively low levels, elves have a natural resistance to charm spells. As has been said, the sirines have terrible melee attacks, so just make sure you stay close to them so that they don't use their bows (they have arrows of biting). No, I don't mind the Sirines at all...

7. Niskers Gems: 7/31

Yeah, I suppose they aren't all that bad. Most of the time my archers are able to take them our before my fighters can cover the distance. It's just that one time in a million where EVERYTHING goes wrong.

and I can't wait to take on the basilisks again. A little bit of protection from petrification and I'm all set.

heh, and I just discovered the REAL story with the kiss of death girl. I'd always done a mass attack to kill her before she spoke to anyone. But this time I wasn't quick enough and I stumbled across the rest of that plot. That's what I love about BG1, no matter how many times I play it there's always something else I didn't know.

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Yeha, its pretty simple. If everytime your PC kisses her and dies, just get someone else to kiss her.

"Come on Misc. She makin eyes at you, go for it."

Of course, I always ressurect the person killed. Unless I don't like them.

9. david w Gems: 19/31

Actually I always kill Shoal the Nereid because at the stage in the game I encounter her (usually very early because she's my first stop once I get some bows), the 5,000 XP you get from whacking her is enough to put half the party up a level. The XP you get from rescuing her from her ogre boss isn't as much.

10. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

What about the Helm of Defence? It is fairly good at early levels.

11. david w Gems: 19/31

Is that what you get for helping Shoal? I always thought it was some kind of cloak.

The way I see it, the 5000 XP benefits the whole party and is generally enough to put half of us up a level. The Helm of Defence, whatever its abilities, only benefits one NPC.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    She's worth 5,000XP? I assumed she was the standard 2,000 XP that everyone else gives you. The way I saw it, you get 650XP for the Ogre Mage, and another 500XP for setting her free, so I like the item considering 1,150XP isn't that much less than 2,000XP. The Helm of Defense isn't so great in BG1 - it's really useful in BG2, but since it gives resistances to elemental attacks (20% to all elements) and not many enemies have elemental attacks, it's not so useful. Actually, in BG1, the only elemental resistance that is useful at all is to fire. I can only think of a handful of enemies that have cold or poison damage, and none that have electricity (except for lightning bolt obviously).

13. david w Gems: 19/31

She's definitely worth 5000XP which is a massive amount for so early in the game. Equip your fighters with bows, your clerics with slings and your mages with Magic Missile and she goes down in a couple of rounds.

A solo character has a harder job of things because Shoal moves quickly and if she gets within striking distance, she'll kiss the PC and kill him outright. But for 5000XP, the risk is worth it. That kind of bonus can put a low level character up 2-3 levels.

14. Valer Gems: 7/31

Yeah, that girl is a piece of cake! You can cast a web on her (or entangle) and if you see she is held, start to launch arrows... 5000XP

Ok, i enlarge my XP calculation:
    Sirines + Flesh Golems: 20000XP
    Kissing girl: 5000XP
    Ogres and Wolves about: 6000XP
    Others: 1000XP
    Quests: 1000XP
    So you can finish the coastline above 30000XP :D

This is the real boost of XP. (Better than the Ulcaster's dungeon)

:yot:
    By the way do you know, that in Ulcaster if you level up, (and of course that time you reload your saved games) the dungeon will be filled with wolves and spiders again and again?

15. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    The best mthod for shoal is to let her kiss your lowest hp character. Less healing needed that way. Then after the fight you can kill her and het the xp for her + the helm.
    As for sirines, my archers normally kill them before they cast charm, and the arrows will often disrupt their spelcasting.

16. david w Gems: 19/31

Doesn't she disappear after you kill the ogre mage and free her? She did the last time I tried that.

17. Sarevok 435 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

i hate he sirine because there stupid charm ability i dont knw how many times ive seen my party kill each other

18. Trminator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

[​IMG] As said earlier in this thread, the only thing you have to do is to send your best fighter over to the sirines alone. If you get charmed, np. Just wait a minute or two, and then you may attack them again.. Don't worry about being killed when you're charmed, because the sirines would never kill a person on their side..

19. david w Gems: 19/31

Actually they've killed my PC before when he got charmed. I think he managed to land a blow on one of them before the charm kicked in and afterwards the Sirines pelted him with arrows till he died.

20. Trminator Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

well, if you're really unlucky that will happen.. :p But if you give your character all the missile-protecting items you have, it shouldn't be to much damage done. And, if you see that they start casting the Dire Charm-spell, just walk away from them the moment before the spell hits you.. I haven't tried this yet, but is it possible to charm the sirines with Algernons Cloak?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.