1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why France is delaying the Lockerbie Settlement

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2003/US/08/14/un.lockerbie/index.html

Yeah, France is delaying the lockerbie settlement - maybe some people here are old enough to remember the pictures of that terrible terrorist attack.

Well, before the france bashing begins, they have sound reasons. They want a better compensation for the victims of another terror attack by lybians - on a french airliner:
    That is, the Lockerbie victim families get about 55 times more than the french victims ... and are just as dead by the hands of the agents of the same perpetrator. That's certainly hard to swallow.
    There is a genuine interest in making Lybia pay for the victims of the terror it sponsored in the 1980s - and there shouldn't be a difference in nationality determining wether justice is done or not.

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Maybe the French just had bad lawyers?

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@Ragusa

Sound reasons?
    They are dissatisfied with a settlement that they agreed to. This gives them the right to delay the processing of the Lockerbie settlement?
    Where are the sound reasons?

4. Ragusa

Media:
    Jack,
    there is another aspect you overlooked: Lybia only payed but never admitted its involvement in the niger bombing - the french insist on that too after lybia admitted its involvement in the Lockerbie bombing.
    So it's not all about money: It's also about Lybia making apologies for sponsoring terror. And it might not even take long, considering the "significant progress".

[ August 15, 2003, 08:17: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'm not overlooking any aspect. If French investigators could not make a case in which they could prove that Libya was involved (as was done in the Lockerbie case), then they either have to work harder or longer to get the evidence.

They agreed to the settlement. Why should the families of the victims of the Lockerbie case be penalized because France is now unhappy with the settlement in the Niger case?

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I have to say that I'm rather glad the price is not the same. I doubtfully think we need any kind of value on a human casualty by terror. Think of it, it's disgusting!

There is no price, but as a money issue always arises, let it be undefined in the beginning and settled once all have signed the deal (or whatever it is that happens to set the deal).

7. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Good opinion on the Lockerbie settlement here. Good enough to make me think about redefining my original position greeting the Lockerbie compromise.

8. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I agree with Ragusa on this issue and especially with this quote from the article Ragusa generously gave the link in his last post
    This means that Libya as a state should not ask for forgiveness but Gadhafi as a person should.
    Furthermore i find this very lame
    I hoped for a better reason than we did not get as much as the others :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.