1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why Forgotten Realms?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Vicsun, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Why is everything based in FR? I mean is it the most interesting world, is it the most reallistic world, or what :mad:? I'd say none of the above. Than why everything in it. :mad: I recently read some posts complaining that there arn't any games/books in other worlds and I agree. I mean why is FR so popular?! :mad:

edit> Oh I forgot - :mad: is a trademark of Extremist ;).

[This message has been edited by Vicsun (edited July 18, 2001).]

2. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I would say it's because it's the most popular world. TSR, then WotC have developed so much of it, and yet left a ton so that the players could develop that it's just become the flagship of ad&d worlds. I like it because of the variety, but I hate it because they've done so many things to the world, that when I try to campaign, other players or the DM pull out a completely new handbook or reference guide, and everything is completely different.

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Relic has it about right. FR is the most popular because its the most popular. How's that for some circular logic. TSR printed the greatest number of books, maps, guides and modules for FR thus the greatest number of campaigns were set there. The the more play who played in FR the most they wanted to see more material about FR. Self fullfilling prophecy.

If you don't want to play in FR no big deal. Just make or have your DM make a new world. That way you avoid players knowing more about the world then you. I've played in a ton of D&D campaigns, many in the FR, but the best were in world made up by the DM. Feel free to steal, combine and tweak published products until your heart is content. After all it's your world.

4. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The only world that comes close to FR's popularity is Dragonlance. Little is ever set there, however, because the entire world is driven by a select group of NPCs. Plus, the entire world is charted out and known, with few problems save for whatever world-shattering problem the main characters are dealing with at the moment.

5. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] There is money in FR. And thats because its
    "classic" fantasy. (2 words that never should be merged)
    I remember asking some other guys in my gaming circle wich setting they would recommend. Originally I wanted to buy Birthright but I was told it was too odd.
    The same for Greyhawk. Planescape and Dark sun had nothing to do with fantasy.
    FR in the other hand was good normal fantasy.
    People also dislike the D&D movie because it has "darkskinned elven rangers with crossbows", " dragons that doesn't talk",
    "dumb beholders" and (my favorite)
    "is set in a homebrewed world that doesn't exist." I thought that was the point with fantasy.
    I also remember when one of my old players told about the campaign he was writing:
    " I'd like it to have some existing monsters like hydras, chimearas and such instead of those weird two-headed griffons like in your campaign."
    (And he was wrong. It was two-headed manticores :D )

6. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

LOL. Yes we need "real" and "existing" monsters like talking dragons!

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Not to stray from the topic but I saw you saying Dark Sun was not a 'fantasy' world. Out of all the TSR world I think, FR aside, Dark Sun is the best. Mine me it has some problems but it's a great world. The concept of metal being rare, the new races and classes and the desert setting are all excellent.

What do you think of Dark Sun?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.