1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why doesn't Polymorph Other work?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Doesn't matter if I use a wand or if I cast it using my 13th level Dragon Disciple. The target changes into a squirrel for a brief instant and then back to it's normal self. I've tried it on guards, prophets commoners and knights. Is there some sort of trick I don't know about? Lol.
    If I get it to work will I get any items from a dead squirrel if the target was carrying any?

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    That shouldn't be happening. It sounds like a bug. Is your game patched and are you using any mods?

And yes, you do get items from polymorphed creatures.

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm patched and using 3 mods that I can think of:

I am using the mod with the improved items. Like +5 Celestial Fury and stuff.
    I am also using the tweakpack.
    Those 2 and dungeon-be-gone

I've had a couple other bugs as well but they are easy to ignore:

The genie from Irenicus's dungeon pops up every now and then asking for his flask. I just go through the normal chat and he just sits there as I move on.
    And Hayes from the wild mage camp is back at the camp after it is wreaked. He also apeared in in the mayor's house in Trademet with mirror image going.
    All easy enough to ignore but I guess it's from one of the mods?

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It sounds unlikely, but you can check if the mods changed any of the files in question. See if there's a WAND09.ITM (wand of polymorphing) file in the Override folder.

If not, it's most likely a bug. I don't have BG2:EE installed on my system atm, so I can't check if I can reproduce the issue.

5. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Yes there is a WAND09.itm in the override folder.

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Do some more testing then. Move that file somewhere else temporarily, like your desktop and make yourself one of these wands in-game.

If it works normally after that, then a mod (patch seems unlikely) probably screwed up your polymorphing abilities, either intentionally or unintentionally.

7. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Ditched the wand I had and made one in game through the console but still the same problems. Nobles, commoners, knights, peasants it doesn't matter.
    I tried dropping the wand and casting it from my spells but it does the same thing :bang:

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Did you remove the file from the Override folder?

Can you open the wand file in DLTCEP or NI, scroll to extended effects and open the first one?

It should look like this:

[​IMG]

9. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    My wand of poly looks dif:

[​IMG]

Yes I removed the wand09 file from the override folder.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
  10. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Hrm... maybe it changed in BG2:EE. Does any of the extended effects from the drop-down menu look like the one I posted?

11. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I've gone and changed everything to be like yours and saved it as WAND09x2 but I can't find it in EE keeper. Not in wands or misc.

12. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Don't the change the effect to be like mine, there's like a dozen effects on the wand. Find one the looks like mine. It has to be there. :D

13. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I changed the WAND09.ITM file to look like yours not just a random wand :) Or is that what your saying not to change? Sorry, I'm a bit bothered right now. With the game not you :)
    I saved it as WAND09x2 but can't find it in EE Keeper but I created it in game through the console and it seems to work right. My spell still doesn't though.

I mean I looked in the drop down and selected the "effect code" that fit.

14. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Fixing the wand won't fix the spell anyway. We're just trying to figure out what went wrong in the first place.

And I was talking about this dropdown menu. Don't just change the first effect you came across. :D

[​IMG]

15. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Could the problem with the wand be due to the enhanced items mod?
    Would kinda make sense, but then again maybe it's the same problem as the spell. This is starting to get interesting now that I've eaten. Lol
    Ok. So where do we start? Walk me through this please.
    I have the wand loaded and some things are different.

[​IMG]

Sorry this is probably a better view for you to look at the drop down menu:

[​IMG]

16. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The 172 opcodes are irrelevant, they just remove special abilities that would allow you to polymorph back out of squirrel form. It's the others that are important.

Scroll down, so I can see how the BG2 version works.

17. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    [​IMG]

18. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Well... that's just weird. I was expecting maybe a different effect, like Cast Spell, which would explain a lot, but there's actually nothing. There's no polymorph effect whatsoever, unless the magical weapon has one on it, which seems unlikely. Is this the file that was in the override folder or the default one?

19. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    It's the one in the override folder.

20. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Maybe they changed the item names / numbers? Perhaps you can check in EEkeeper to see if the polymorph wand in your inventory is actually WAND09? This WAND09 is completely different than what Keneth was showing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.