1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why does TOEE suck!?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by avengerofholiness, Oct 27, 2004.

1. avengerofholiness Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Why in the **** does Troika think they can make a crpg and then **** the **** out of it. Black Isle is the only company that has ever made a worthwhile crpg based on d&d. Any comments....?

[ October 27, 2004, 09:14: Message edited by: Beren ]

2. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Dispite the highly crude title of your thread I can in part agree with you.

[ Fixed and edited ] - Beren

[ October 27, 2004, 09:15: Message edited by: Beren ]

3. avengerofholiness Gems: 1/31

Alright now that I am sober and not playing the game I can be a bit more clear. The potential was great for this game, and with games such as BG and IWD already proven Troika should have followed suit and improved on what was out. Ah well, so much for common sense and logic.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's a bit better with the patch #2. Got it?

5. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Call me crazy, but I really enjoy ToEE. Sure, it's not fallout, but it was never intended to be--it's a dungeon crawl at heart, and it's a very well done dungeon crawl. Unlike, say, Diablo, there's actually a modicum of tactical thought required to play it ;)

6. Hellheart Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Actually , this is how d&d is meant to play. This is how the game is played in p&p. It's not super , but once you get the hang of it you want to play more. The first town IS boring , but once you have done the moathouse things are brightening up!

7. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I loved ToEE, I think I enjoyed it far more than IWD2, PS:T and Jagged Alliance. Sure, it's a bit buggy and a bit rushed out the door, but the tactical combat is to die for.

I may get some flak for this, but I'm glad that Troika went with turn-based combat for ToEE, because it adds immense depth to the game, and kudos to them for actually making an accurate portrayal of Dungeons and Dragons.

8. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Preach on, Father Rednik!

Though I have to say I had more fun with Jagged Alliance 2's tactical combat

9. avengerofholiness Gems: 1/31

I'm am in total agreement about the p&p style gaming. I love d&d and play it all the time with my brother and friends. The flexibility that p&p has over any pc game is infinite of course. TOEE has come as close as any game to that experience. I just find the story lacking in a huge way, combat is very uneven until the later levels(i.e. dice rolls suck), and character development is chaotic at best. In my humble opinion, story always drives any rpg, and interaction among pcs and npcs is a major part ot the story. Don't take my first comment too seriously I was drinking and was not having a fun time trying to defeat the hill giant and brown bear in Emridy Meadows. Drink hail!!!!

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

That's it, now you are going to die. :D

11. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

avengerofholiness: Charm the bear and kill the hill giant with arrows....Or just sneak and take the armor.

Maybe I was a bit hasty saying it was better than Jagged Alliance, that game is great, but it has some serious flaws. A guy can't just walk away from a fight after being pummeled in the face with a burst of gunfire.

12. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The turn based 3e combat is great. The lack of interesting situations, interesting items, and interesting quests in the town is not so great.

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Heh. Yeah, that always annoyed me; I've seen people take high powered rifle hits to the head, with the bullet actually going THROUGH the head...and they continue to fight. Sometimes.

Agreed. But, I knew what I was getting, so I love it. I think, if you didn't know it wasn't exactly BG2 before you purchased it, you'd be a lot more likely to be irritated by its shortcomings

14. ratwhowouldbeking Gems: 1/31

Personally, I think the biggest plus is the ability to NOT fireball your whole team because you can actually see the circle.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.