1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why do software companies need 2+ forms of copy protection?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by SlickRCBD, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why is it that game companies seed the need to use a CD-key where if you lose the sleeve, manual, or insert for the game, you're SOL, and then put something like Securom so you can't play on a backup CD? Especially when the game requires you to have the CD in the game every time you play? Then if anything happens to the original CD, you're once again screwed.

Isn't just one or the other enough, but needing both is just insulting and frustrating. I really hate key-disk copy protection (or is it key-disc these days? I'm thinking of the old days with my Apple IIGS when the game would detect that you're not using the original disk and either promptly terminate with a chiding message about copying disks or ask you to insert the original. That was known as "key disk copy protection") or anything that prevents me from making and using a backup copy of my software due to the number of times a CD has rolled or been knocked off the desk, onto the floor and under the castor of my chair where I can't spot it until I hear the crunch sound.

---------- Added 3 hours, 13 minutes and 52 seconds later... ----------

Sorry for the rant, I was just frustrated as I was unable to reinstall something from a backup CD and had to dig out the original.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No need to be sorry. That's one thing I like about Steam: It's mainly all transparent. I don't have to look up keys or have disks and on the rare occasions a key is needed it pops up on the screen when I start the game.

3. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    While having any DRM automatically handled by the Steam client is certainly more convenient than confronting the user directly with it like it used to be done (as SlickRCBD describes), I don't think it is unreasonable to want games not to include any DRM at all.

People will crack any software and distribute it on Torrent/P2P networks anyways, so in the end DRM only ends up hurting the honest customers who are using official, legally acquired copies. (Considering what kind of incentives this presents to potential customers, it may well translate into a financial loss for the game developer/publisher too.)

Most big game publishers are still pretty stubborn when it comes to this and keep clinging to their DRM, but at the same time more and more games become available DRM-free, e.g.:

• All GOG.com games (mostly older games)
    • All Humble Bundle games (mostly Indie games)
    • Many Kickstarter-funded games (all kinds of games)

So, I'm optimistic for where things are headed...

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Steam is just another form of DRM. Sure it has some nice features, but they can just as easily revoke the game that you've paid for if they believe you did something violating the user agreement. VAC (steam's anti-cheat detection) is apparently considered infallible by Valve (going by the stories) and so false positives don't exist. I've yet to find a piece of software with any modicum of complexity that 100% failsafe. Yet it can cost you a game.

No, I would prefer DRM free solutions as well. No activation that may or may not work in a couple of years (highly relevant as I tend to play older games, mostly), no copy-protection software that installs rootkits on your PC which are a security risk, no CD's that need to be in the drive.

Paradise.

I don't think we'll see it happen on a larger scale anytime soon, certainly not when Windows requires activation as well, but in the mean time at least there GoG and some other venues through which we can get games without DRM.

It would be nice if they extended it to movies as well. No more unskippable legal notices and trailers that of movies I don't care about, just straight to the stuff that I actually paid for.

5. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Henkie it is legal to make backup copies of your blu-ray movies and remove the copy protection on those then just make a MKV out of just the movie stream and there you go. Many blu-ray drives nowadays let you stream videos to it Ala DLNA. Our brand new Samsung does and so does the PS3 as well. No having to worry about crappy copy protection and skipping all the trailers and legal notices. It will even stream proper 5.1 lossless audio tracks. Just need to run a DLNA server on your PC with the media like PS3 Media Server for instance or TVersity.

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Two responses.
    One, I don't mind requiring the CD/DVD in the drive, as long as I can make a backup copy of the CD/DVD and use that instead for everything.

For the other copying movies issue, I was under the impression that it was illegal under the DMCA to circumvent copy protection and access control measures, unless you figure out how to do it yourself. Distributing the knowledge of how to do so is illegal, as is downloading automated tools like CloneCD to do so yourself.

DMCA is a nasty piece of work.

7. Topken

Its legal if you are getting rid of it for personally use but if you remove to give the files out then yeah that is getting into nasty territory. there have been some changes to the DMCA that have made it possible for personally use.

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I haven't read it since sometime in 1999. I actually read the law when I was on Usenet and listening to the debate. I wanted to see what it was really about. Surprisingly, unlike some laws, I actually understood most of it.
    I think this is the link, but if it's the original, or the amended, I'm unsure.
    www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

---------- Added 0 hours, 16 minutes and 18 seconds later... ----------

Were those changes made in the last three years? This is the kind of thing I was thinking of.
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/05/legalize-personal-use-dvd-copying/

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 44 seconds later... ----------

http://info.legalzoom.com/dmca-backup-copyrighted-content-22827.html

9. Topken

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.