1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why can't I be a mage?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Wizard advocate, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Wizard advocate Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Well just bought Planetscape-Torment after getting bored of bg2. However to my dismay during the charater creation i cannot chose my class and is forced to be a fighter. Why is that? I can't even dual class or anything. Is it compulsory that i be a fighter? Does anybody know how i could change class?

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ok, you probably just started the game.

The point is that so called Nameless One had number of incarnations in the past. Some of them were fighters, some mages and some thieves. But Nameless One can't remember those incarnations (yet), so he is fighter for start with low weapon proficencies.

To get another class (mage or thief) Nameless One has to find a person who will teach him ways of that class. There are some people in the game who'll sparkle his memories with those teachings, and he'll get them surprised because they will think he's training for the first time, yet he'll start remembering skills of old incarnations. Of course, he'll improve those thru the game.

The idea of the game is that Nameless One lost his memories when waked up in Mortuary. Wouldn't then be stupid if he remembers how to cast spells or hide in shadows?

So, you just play as fighter, search thru Sigil, and you'll find what the class you're looking for.

Edit:
    To prevent some more questions about dc or mc - no, you can't be dual class or multi class in PT. Also you can't be priest or any other known class besides fighter, mage or thief. However, when you learn how to become mage or thief initially, you can switch between these three classes almost any time (with help from party members, but not possible during fights).

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited April 30, 2001).]

3. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Find old Mebbeth in the ragpickers square. She will teach you the art after sending you on some quests. To find ragpickers square, go west and the northwest from the mortuary. She is in one of the huts. There is also a thief who will teach you how to be a thief. Can't remember his name though.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Grrr, spoilers.

Anyway, thief trainer's name is Ratbone.

And they aren't only persons in the game that can teach you switch classes, keep that in mind.

5. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hint: Try to take on Mebbeth's quests as soon as you can and not to earn too much exp before that... You'll see the reason later on, it'll be worth it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.