1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why can't a Ranger be a Druid?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    1) Why can a FIGHTER dual/multi to a Druid but a RANGER can only do a Cleric? I would think it obvious to allow the Ranger & Druid together?

2) I've been using the "dungeon be gone" mod and I just recently noticed that you have the option to have the bard take you to Yoshimo or leave him a note telling him to meet you at THE COPPER CORONET? I thought you had no clue where you were never mind what's a short walk away. Lol.

Ok so # 2 isn't really a question. Just thought it was a tiny bit funny :p

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Because it wouldn't make sense. Ranger and druid share a domain. You don't have Ranger/Druids, just like you don't have Bard/Mages or Paladin/Clerics or Barbarian/Fighters. Not in 2nd edition anyway.

Dungeon-Be-Gone is all about metagaming so it doesn't matter what the PC knows.

3. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Quite simple really, it all comes down to alignment restrictions - a druid has to be true neutral, while a ranger can only be of a good alignment.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Alignment restrictions are frequently broken though. Even within IE games.

5. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    True, but if anything, Beamdog should focus on fixing those occasions where that is the case, not breaking the rules even more to allow this class combination - that's what mods are for.
    I know for a fact a mod exists for IWD:EE to remove race & alignment restrictions for multiclassing, so it stands to reason that either such a mod also exists for BG2:EE or could be made.
    Even if such a mod doesn't exist for BG2, you could always create a ranger or druid and use Shadowkeeper to change the alignment and add the other class as a dual or multiclass.

6. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    There's nothing to fix. D&D isn't about conforming to the rules, it's about having the rules work for you and bending them when they don't. That's why "always evil" doesn't actually mean always evil. That's why we have evil druid circles, and dual-classed characters that shouldn't have been able to dual-class, and characters with abilities that don't belong to either their class or their race. Fluff always takes precedence.

I wasn't saying these options should be enabled by default, I'm just saying that alignment was probably the least of their worries when they were deciding which class options were possible back in the day.

7. xosmi Gems: 20/31

Media:
    Sure, if it makes sense for the story to have an evil aligned druid, then i don't see why that shouldn't be kept that way - in cases where it just doesn't make sense and has no impact on the story however, such instances could be fixed.
    I personally always use the bg2tweaks mod to change Jaheira's alignment to neutral good - i find it just fits better with her character throughout the game.

That said, it does state in the 2e Player's Handbook that Elves and Half-Elven rangers can multiclass.
    Also, quoted from an article written by Gary Gygax for dragon mag (page 8, online PDF here : http://annarchive.com/files/Drmg096.pdf)
    So having a Ranger/Druid multi in BG2 wouldn't even be that far-fetched i guess :D

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Nothing is far-fetched in D&D, Rule 0 makes sure of that. Dragon and Dungeon magazines aren't technically part of RAW though, not even those written by Gygax. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.