1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who's your choice?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Eyebreaker7, May 17, 2014.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Who do you like the most and use the most? Personally I like:

Valygar,
    Minsc,
    Mazzy,

After the 3 it's pretty much up in the air as to who I like/use.

Maybe Jan though I'm not sure he counts yet? I've only used him a little until I picked someone else up but he's still fun :borg:

Maybe Aerie? She's a great caster. 2 for 1 and all that. But so far I've never taken her to the end..... ... ? Why not...??

Maybe Haer Dalis'? Trying him for a change of pace plus I've never used him before. Or if I did it wasn't for very long. That was before I loved the Blade :)

Anomen and Keldorn are both pretty nice also.

I guess I should consider Imoen as well. Lol.

Sorry forgot about Neera and Rasaad. I seem to like them quite a bit.

2. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

My favorite 3 would be

Mazzy
    Imoen
    Keldorn

Honorable mention goes to Jaheira.

Imoen has a nice story going for her and I like her personality. Only problem is that you don't get to see a lot of it due to story concerns. Still I really like what I get to see and just wish we got more. As for mechanics she is a very nice combo of theif and mage with just enough thief that if she is you only theif you can do it assuming you make sure to get a few of those thief skill boosting items just in case.

Keldorn is exactly what I want to see in a Paladin (well 90% of the time). He has real character and is a paladin that is not insufferable. On top of that he is a life saver in combat and a good warrior. I take him in most of my parties.

Mazzy is just a lot of fun. She has some great interactions with some key NPCs (such as Korgan and Valygar) and she has a good story. Sadly despite this they do not make use of it. Despite being a halfling that aspires to the greatness of paladins while also being a character that strives to show halflings are valiant warriors, we never see her try to gain admittance into the Order of the Radiant Heart. Even if it is a futile effort I think that would be a good quest to do for her character. Things like this would be perfect (as would a romance but sadly that never seems to make it to completion). As for mechanics Mazzy is a strong fighter. I wish she had some more con but other than that she rocks. She gains haste, remove fear, and the ability to heal herself. These are really useful especially the remove fear since you never know when half your party will running around scared and Mazzy can save the day. NOt everybody knows that her str boosting ability changes as she levels. At first it hands out 18/75 str but leter it improves to 18/00 (it could improve even more but I wouldn't know since by then I usually have given her a str boosting item).

Jaheira gets honorable mention due to being a NPC that gives you lip. She does not completely toe the line and that is nice to see in a character that is not a complete jerk (Korgan gives you lip but he is a jerk which is the slight contrast). She is also very powerful what iwth access to decent weapons, great AC, and the use of spells like summon insects (one of the best spells in the game period) iron skins, and powerful summons. She is versatile, durable, and powerful which is a nice combo.

3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Viconia. Good cleric, and story-wise I respect her strength of character.
    Haer Dalis. Very strong NPC and one of the more honest ones. Generally unreliable but at least you can always count on him to want the world to end.
    Imoen. She grows on you.

Honorable mentions:
    Edwin, as long as you take for granted any potential sudden and inevitable betrayals. Magical skills are supreme.
    Sarevok, hard not to respect the man. Beast of an NPC.
    Nalia. Best SoA->ToB growth imo, starts with some of the best spells for early-mid game.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I tend to like banter so the romance npcs are tops. After that is Minsc and Imoen. I like Keldorn until his quest and Mazzy has such an awesome voice set.

I like Edwin for a particular quest but don't care too much for Korgan. Nalia is just too irritating.

5. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Keldorn leaving is the big problem I'm having to decide in another post/thread.
    Why do people like Edwin so much? He's seriously arrogant and has crap scores? I have never used him so I have no idea why everyone likes him so much?

6. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Edwin is funny due to his arrogance since he does get setbacks. In addition it is funny when he mumbles to himself.

He does have crappy ability scores (ok 18 int would not be crappy in P&P but since you can cast 9th level spells with 9 int in this game it has lost most of its luster) but he does get two bonus spells for every spell level due to amulet which makes him have more spells than anybody. At the end game that is far more powerful and he does have good con. IN a mage that is all you really need.

With that said I almost never use him. My play style involves buffing and slice and dice which does not require his crazy number of spells and is better served by the better weapon use by mages like Imoen.

7. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Oh he has an amulet? Can I steal it or take it off his corpse?

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Nope, it's only for him.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Replacing Keldorn with Mazzy works for me. By that point the PC is powerful enough that you don't really need Keldorn's dispel or Carsomyr.

Edwin is along for his quest. If you allow him to keep the book all kinds of funny happens ... and nearly every npc get into it. It's ROFL funny. Like I said, I choose based on banter. Once his quest is done he's gone (unless I'm evil, then Edwin and Vicona make an unbeatable team).

In BG I really like to take Monteron and Xzar when I'm evil. The random things Xzar has to say are a riot. I really need to put Quayle and Tiax together sometime.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.