1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who Needs The Fourth Amendment Anyway?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by dmc, Dec 15, 2011.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Got this link in the email today:

http://warisacrime.org/nomohabeas

The Jon Stewart clips were, as always, very funny, but the concept is amazingly disturbing to me.

Just an extension of the phenomenon that started with the Patriot Act and continues to erode our civil rights in the U.S.

As a lawyer, the idea of essentially indefinite imprisonment without a trial raises my hackles and I have absolutely NO faith in the government to restrain itself at all. NONE.

Edit: From the Huffington Post link:

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, WTF is that all about? What is wrong with these people? Indefinitely imprison American citizens without charge? You better rethink that you bozos!

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I don't see what is the problem with having to charging them. I mean, they were taken in for something, the idea of not telling what it is sounds like complete BS to me.

With laws like that, all that stands against total catastrophe is the common sense of the people in the judiciary system. Apparently the executive doesn't have any, and/or is too busy pandering to do its job right.

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I found this somewhat strange when I read about it. I also found it strange how so few in congress actually opposed this. What are the chances that the Supreme Court intervenes to strike down the law?

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    As I have posted, the egregious and shameful piece of legislation in question are the the detainee provisions within the defence authorization bill that the Senate adopted last week or so. They effectively render moot the right of Habeas Corpus and the Posse Comitatus act (which is a simple bill, and can thus be overiden by other, simple bills).

The bill opens the door for wider detentions without due process including the continental US, including military detention of US citizens without due process. That is anathema to the notion that in America law is king. No more.

This new legislation owes nothing to the US tradition but rather to German lawyer Carl Schmitt, and his notion that soverign is who can declare a state of emergency or exception and suspend the rule of law. The unitary executive branch theory, first broached under Bush and now, sadly, perpetuated by Obama, is all about these asserted inherent emergency powers of the president (elected king?).

The sainted founders are by now probably rolling in their graves.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm. It seems as if there is some confusion about what the bill contains and the proper interpretation.

Great. Just what we need: More vague laws allowing conflicting interpretations shoved through in a spending bill so that it's more likely to be passed. :rolleyes:

I am really tired of legislators bundling unrelated stuff up to get it passed more easily.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I did particularly like the Stewart comment of: "But they will release you upon the end of hostilities. So as soon as the War on Terror is over, and Terror surrenders, they'll let you go."

I think one thing is becoming clear. Obama will not be running against Gingrich, or Romney, or Perry, or anyone else on the Republican ticket: He will be running against Congress.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Even I, the advocate of all things that brutalize criminals, am aghast at this idea. To hold someone indefinitely without charging them or presenting them before the judge is a serious matter that should never be taken lightly. This can all too easily be abused for political purposes. Only after someone has had their day in court and found guilty should they be tossed away and treated like the crap they are. But we have to PROVE they are crap first.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.