1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

who is the coolest NPC?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ivellos the Bladesinger, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] who do you think is the coolest NPC?
    i thing Valygar is pretty cool

who do you think is the best addition to your party?
    i think Edwin is because of his great potential for spell casting
    who do you think is an underrated NPC?
    it seems a lot of people seem to leave either Mazzy or Cernd out of their party

Mazzy can be a powerful fighter in later levels
    and Cernd is a pretty powerful druid when you get him and on higher levels

who do you think is an overrated NPC?
    i can't decide :confused: :D

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I really like every NPC, but if I had to decide...

The coolest one would be: Haer'Dalis
    Most powerful: Keldorn
    Underrated: Mazzy - with a Girdle of STR she is the most powerful fighter ever.
    Best addition: Viccy or Jahiera
    Overrated: Minsc - there's nothing really wrong with him, but his stats could be better. STR doesn't matter when you get some modifiers.

3. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Yeah I like them all too! At least the ones I have a real experience with.

Coolest: Minsc because he is funny and willing to fight anything (he gets the edge over Korgan because Minsc is down for his teammates)

Most Powerful: For me, Anomen. Insanely powerful and versatile at high levels, and more so towards the end of the game with Crom Faeyr in hand.

Underrated: Aarie. Yeah she wines (early in the game), but her bag of spells is useful in every situation in the game. Even in fighting Magic Resisitant foes with defensive spells and handy with the sling.

Best Addition: Aarie. I always find a use for her, and is a must have. I like going fighter heavy (at least 4), so she is A-1 perfect for my party with her Mage/Cleric combo.

Overrated: Edwin. This is definately a "to each his own" situation. Like I said before, I like going fighter heavy, and as far as magic is concerned, I seem to use (offensive/defensive/summon) cleric spells way more than I do mage spells. So thus, I would like my mages to offer something more than just spells. Jan (2nd class thief), Immy (thief), Aarie (cleric) and Nalia (low level thief) all offer something other than spells, whereas Edwin doesn't.

This will be different for every last person here, depending on you style of play, as Edwin is alright for those who like to play magic heavy.

4. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Every NPCs is cool in his or her own way actually.

Coolest: Jan. With his cool equipments and itchy mouth, no one can beat him to it.

Most Powerful: Korgan or a well-prepared Edwin

Underrated: Imoen. She may be just a thief/mage, but mage's spells are very powerful and don't forget! She is a child of Bhaal too!

Best Addition: Viconia. Nothing like a cleric who can cast tons of chaotic commands/NP protections/dooms etc and turn dead with ease

Overrated: Keldorn. Without Carsomyr(Minsc will be better than him by my thinking), he is just a useful paladin, given that his class give him true sight etc.

5. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Coolest NPC?

In roleplaying terms it might be Haer'Dalis. He is colourful, perceptive and insightful. In power terms, it is probably Keldorn. The Inquisitor's special powers transform the game.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Most Powerful: Keldorn early on, Aerie at high levels
    Underrated: Anomen. He's actually pretty tough if well equipped.
    Overrated: Haer'Dalis. That -10 AC defensive spin is worthless later on.
    Best Addition: Viccy.
    Coolest: I'd have to say Viccy for this one.

7. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31

Most powerful:
    Depends on your playing style but I'd say that the character that most easily becomes uber powerful is Keldorn.
    Coolest:
    Hm, Valygar.
    Best addition:
    Jan! Great utilities thief and his mage skills aren't bad either.
    Underrated:
    Mazzy. Great archer, can easily become a melee character as well and her special abilities are very useful - especially in early- and midgame. Hm, or perhaps Aerie? Great spell caster - she never seems to run out of spells...
    Overrated: Imoen. Enough said.

8. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Boo. Hands down the winner! :thumb:

9. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Most powerful: Korgan
    Coolest: Edwin
    Underrated: Cernd
    Overrated: Minsc
    Best addition: Valygar

10. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31

everybody does say Imoen is pretty good, but she dualled to a mage too early and has inadequate theif skills and bad mage spells, as well as bad profs.

11. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

There's no way Korgan is the most powerful. Even Jahiera can kick his ass. I pitted Jahiera against him and she wiped the floor with 'im.

12. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31

you can make your own party members fight in a pit?
    where?
    Copper Coronet or Underdark
    i never knew that
    or do you mean you just made them both fight each other

13. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

@Ivellos
    I think he meant that.

Coolest: Minsc and Boo
    Most Powerful: Haer'Dalis or Keldorn
    Underrated: Aerie
    Overrated: Edwin (if I want a great mage, I'll take a sorcerer)
    Most useful: Haer'Dalis or Anomen (though I hate them)

14. Ivellos the Bladesinger Gems: 5/31

@Menion Leah,
    actally Edwin can be pretty powerful once he learns things like Death Spell because his Family Amulet gives him extra Spells

i agree with you about Aerie being underrated, and Minsc and Boo are pretty funny"jump on my sword while you can evil, i won't be as gentle!!!" :p

15. yenn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

coolest: Boo

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, saying Boo wasn't even funny the first time, and saying it subsequently is even less. Stick to discussing actual NPCs and don't litter the thread with pointless comments like "Boo".

17. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Coolest: Mazzy
    Best Addition: Korgan
    Underated: Cernd, Nalia
    Overrated: Minsc. I hate him.

18. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Point to note:
    Maybe :yot:
    Many said most powerful is Keldorn. I will agree if Keldorn is wielding carsomyr. But if Keldorn is wielding only a +1 Vanilla two-handed sword and he challenge Minsc armed with the same weapon, I don't think Keldorn will stand a chance at all. Don't forget he has a low dex. If Minsc is armed with Gram Sword of Grief and he challenge Keldorn armed with Carsomyr, Which do you think is more destructive? Yeah and Minsc has a extra ability which is rage(Main char ranger will not have it), while Keldorn has no extra ability except for the true sight etc, which the main char can also have.

19. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31

@Skywind:
    This thread isn't comparing NPCs with PCs but NPCs with NPCs and I'd pick Keldorn's True Sight and Dispel Magic abilities over Minsc's Berserk ability every day of the week.

20. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Noober! I mean he give you some bullet no?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.