1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who is the best main character for a party?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Rekiller, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Rekiller Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I made 3 partys, in all the main char. was a tank hevy figther,paladin or barbarian, because mi frindes said than the main have to be a tank.
    Are they right? :confused:

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Doesn't matter does it? You can move your party members round anyway. It's a 6 PC party (or however many you chose), not 1pc + 5 Npc's. Thus there is no "main" character.

The only downside of Pally's and Monks is that they may turn down rewards.

Still, just let someone else do the talking when collecting your dues.

[ January 20, 2003, 20:02: Message edited by: Viking ]

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

You can have any class as a partyleader. Personally, I prefer the spokesperson (the person with diplomacy, intimidate and so forth) to be in lead. A Paladin makes for an excellent leader, so do sorcerers or other CHA based characters.

Downpoint to a sorcerer being a spokesperson, is when you have to walk up to someone and he turns hostile after the talk, you've got your mage in the front line amidst your enemies. Which is a bad place to be if you can't tank. So that's why I prefer Paladins. Though Bards make excellent ones too.

4. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Paladin is the worst spokeperson among spokepersons. A Paladin has problem when it comes to dealing with evil quests. A Sorcerer on the other hand has no problem with that. Ususally, for me, sorcerer has highier INT then a paladin, which in turns gives me more extra skills to throw into non-class-talking-skill, like intiminate for sorcerer.

About the "suddenly turn hostile npc" problem, it can be easily avoid by precast mirror image and, simply, run away.

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I always use my cleric as a spokesman. He has high charisma (turn ability) and is quite a good tank, too. He can deal well with evil quests/persons if he (that is me) wants to.

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I usually use my sorcerer and if they turn hostile well firing a couple of force missile and a fireball in their face usually gives me the time for my tanks to rush forward.

7. Gorgonbreath Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I like my half-orc barbarian, yeah low char etc but he intimidates and he is a load to deal with if anyone wants to attack and he doesn't turn down rewards. A strong human or dwarven fighter I think would be good also, especially with good char, wis, or intel.

8. Rekiller Gems: 5/31

So... thers no main character, only a spokenperson. I think that a Paladin or a monk don't work very well because they don't what rewards.

Thanks!! :)

9. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Generally you can select whoever you like to do the talking, but there are a few times when you won't have any control over who talks.

I don't think that it matters all that much since my friend played with his stupid ugly deep gnome monk, Int 3 Cha 1 and still got most dialogue options...

10. Laocorn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Currently I'm using a bard as my party leader. It's my first time using a bard, too, so this may suck. My last party used a Rogue as the leader, and she did well enough. My rogue could fight if she had to, and of course she could do and say whatever she wanted. And since Rogue's kinda need high int for all the skills, it wasn't that bad to make sure she could get all the conversational skills as well. Occasionally I had my sorceress talk some, but my rogue was fine. Kinda hate when they talk to the second party person, though. My half-orc barb isn't much for talking. Especially when he's got a ton of points in his intimidate skill.
    "Gimme what I want or I'll kill you!"
    "Here ya go!"
    Hey, what am I talking about, that works GREAT!
    But yeah, a cleric would be very good as a party leader. They're useful fighters, they can heal people, they need the high charisma anyway, now why the hell didn't I make my current party leader a cleric? Oh yeah, I wanted to try a bard. Damn.

11. Rekiller Gems: 5/31

How many parties do you have, and how many times did you won ICWD2?

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Never forget ROLEplaying.

If you have a strong but stupid and untrustworthy half orc barbarian, preferably evil, he would do well for your muggers party.

An intellegint mischievous (sp) Wizard or rogue would be fine for a party of tricksters.

A noble paladin with high charisma and no care for rewards, would be fine for a party of crusaders.

You could also choose for a party with no well spoken character, living for the loot, not the rewards. Or just the regular guy, or the girl next door....(!). Play YOUR game.

13. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

1-)The best spokesman is the one with high CHA and INT (thus sorcerer seems to work fine)
    2-)I have sooooooo many partys,but i have never finished

14. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Ive found that i speak the most with my rogue/bard. High Charisma, and can take a bit of damage on the wing. He has merc. background so gets discounts, and has high bluff and diplomacy. I usually save before talking to anyone, so if intimidate is needed, i use my barb.

The real problem with having a weak person upfront is that they will be at the fore of a battle. So i keep my people in order of attacking/battle positions. Then I use the bard to talk. Its annoying to have to continuously select him and speak, but i live.

Anyway,
    Cheers.

15. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The first time I beat the game I had a monk up front during combat [he had a really high AC and was basically an unhittable decoy and fireball magnet for my sorcerer] and then when i would go into a town or somewhere where i was talking, i would let my sorcerer take the lead. I agree they have generally high charisma and int, and with a few ranks in diplomacy they can do rather well as spokesmen.

16. Gaius Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Bards are excellent leaders. As the class needs high INT and CHA, those key abilities are taken care of, and the Bard has more than enough ability to stand in the front line. My first party had a Bard leader, and he worked out great.

17. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    That's certainly true! And they can get rewards too! :D

18. Kabuki Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Wow, I Tend to Enjoy my Paladin; Jarvis. (Stupid Name, I Know, But hey, I didn't feel Creative) He's a level 10 Fighter, Level 20 Paladin. Granted he doesn't always accept rewards, BUT that is what Lucky is for.. a level 17 Theif.. I mean.. Uh.. "Rogue" Hhee.. Anything i don't get as a "Reward" I can get as a.. "Secondary Prize" ^_^ BTW!!! When you are still in Targos the first time, Try Pick Pocketing Lord Ulbrec, Save first though! There's a Nice shiney Ring of Protection +1 in it for ya.. Promise!!

19. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Rogue is the best class for a spokesman. They have all talking skills as class skill, they get the most skill points per level and they do NOT refuse rewards.
    Just my two cents.

20. Rekiller Gems: 5/31

But before a rogue i prefer a bard, a rogue is more thief than a bard, a bard is better spokeman

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.