1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

who is Larze?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by carpman, Nov 21, 2003.

1. carpman Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I played through to ToB 4 or5 times. My official strategy guide lists Larze as 12th level -----? with 141 hp I figure I probably met and killed him more than once but can't remember where he is. I am looking to beat all the top baddies with my no magic F\T and he is second in hp to Sarevok.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    He's the Ogre in the Blushing Mermaid in the northeast sector if Baldur's Gate.

He confronts you as soon as you walk in the Blushing Mermaid. He says he's out to kill charname. You can trick him into pretending you aren't who he's looking for, or you can fight him. I don't think you get anything good in terms of items from the fight, but he is worth a considerable amount of XP's - something like 2000.

3. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

IIRC you'll get gauntlets of weapon expertice from him.

THAC0 +1

4. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

He's not really that bad, especially if you can outrun him and pelt him with arrows or the like. He hits hard, but there are so many obstacles to run around and hide behind in there that he's not hard to beat. With a F/T, you can also run around a corner, hide, backstab, repeat as necessary, and kill him without a scratch.

5. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

@Elvenblade: a little correction: Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise give +1 to THAC0 and +2 to damage.
    The Gauntlets of Weapon Skill give +1 to THAC0.

Killing Larze is not hard at all if you avoid melee.
    As Bombur said, use the tables and other excellent obstacles to keep safe distance from the headhunter ogre.

Note: A windows application called Great Book of BaldurĀ“s Gate (under development, should be released in a year) has a section called "Creatures, Battles, Solutions". That includes recommended tactics for the harder battles (against individuals too such as Larze) of BG+Tales of the Sword Coast.

[ November 22, 2003, 16:48: Message edited by: Baronius ]

6. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The one thing that caught me out when I first encountered Larze, is that when you enter the Blushing Mermaid, your rear characters are nearest him and your front characters nearest the doors, and he always manages to talk to you before you can move.

Two options:
    1. Make your rear characters run ASAP, he will follow and concentrate on these so use bows a lot.
    2. Change your party lineup before entering the Blusing Mermaid, so your fighters are at the rear - cheezy but effective.

On the whole, he is pretty easy for a baddie. Now Dradeel (I think that's how you spell it) is a real pain in the a*** because of all the help he summons - one of the tougher fighters in the town of BG itself.

7. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Dradeel is the elven mage from Werewolf Isle; you're thinking of someone else.

8. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The mage in the house that asks you to get the Helm of Balduran. It was "Degrodel" not Dradeel. Still it was pretty close, wasn't it?

9. carpman Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks guy's I doubled my answer in the other post of my about "no magic".

10. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Close enough. ;)

11. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It doesn't look cheesy to me. Normally, your fighters should be on the front when you enter the inn (roleplay). It looks like an annoying bug in the game.
    I confirm this ogre is really tough.

12. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Not a bug, just a nuisannce. I think it's their way of emulating being "waylaid by enemies" and having to suddenly defend yourself when you least expect it -- which is why your party is out of normal marching order. Hey, if players can use cheese, then so can programmers, :evil:

13. jeremiah Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I think this is one of the buildings you can send individual characters through instead of the party.

So send the one with the boots of speed in first to initiate conversation and flee around the room. Then the rest of the party can go in and pelt the baddie with missiles and do some summoning.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.