1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who has read the Krondor series?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Dark Xan, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I am just about to finish the last book and I think that the Krondor series is the best set of books I have read in a while. What does everyone else think about them?

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have read them and I must say that I didnt think they were anything special at all. Standard fantasy, a decent read but nothing special at all IMHO.

I think that Feists best books are those he wrote with Janny Wurtz, Magician is also good. The earlier the better.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I admit I've never read those (and never will).

The game Betrayal at Krondor is classic (and free to download ;)).
    Return to Krondor is a sequel to that game with awsome scenario, but not too much time needed to finish it (short fun). However, I must suggest you to try that one if you are true cRPG player.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Great books & great games :grin:

5. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I thought the first "trilogy", Magician, Silverthorn, and Darkness at Sethanon were great. I stopped reading at that point (although I did play "Betrayal at Krondor" which was excellent) because I was afraid Feist would milk it for all it was worth. It seems he has.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not at all. You should read more of Feist; he's one of my favorites. Admittedly, the Krondor series wasn't his best, but I wasn't surprised since he created the original story for the computer game.

The Empire series he wrote with Janny Wurts was also very good, and takes place on Kelewan instead of Midkemia.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited January 03, 2002).]

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I agree with BTA, Raymond Feist has written some really nice books. I have read the whole krondor/ mikdemia serie a while ago and I liked it.

The empire/kelewan serie he wrote with Janny Wurtz however was much more original and innovative. I liked the latter one much more :)

8. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] The first books (Magician, Silverthorn, etc) were definitely much better than his later ones - the characters were more original, and the whole Riftwar Saga storyline was as well. I found the later Krondor series books to be a good, quick read, but rather formulaic - stuff I call 'brain-candy'. I think most created worlds end-up like that: starts out with a unique take on things, then after a few books, all the characters and plot-lines start to sound the same. The Belgariad (David Eddings), Shannara (Terry Brooks), and Wheel of Time (Jordan) all started out as 'new' twists on the fantasy genre - but after a while, they just became predictable. The only two world-series' that I find to be continually original are the Darkover novels by M. Zimmer-Bradley, and the Disc World novels by Terry Pratchet.

9. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Yes, Feist isone of the best fantasy-writers in these days. The first trilogy, and the Empire trilogy is classic, the others aren't too bad. But I must admit, that his newer works are a little tired. But I hope that he will write a new Magician someday...

10. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31

extremist, can you send me a link to download the game?

11. Lord Sarevok Guest

Anyone know where I can buy these books? I really enjoyed the game and I'd like to read the books if I can. Give me the exact names of the books please so I can do a search on Amazon.com.

12. Dark Xan Gems: 8/31

i cna remember the first one here are the other two

1.Krondor the betrayal
    2.Krondor tears of gods

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Make sure to click on an amazon banner/button on SP and then doing the search for them. That way we'll get a bit of credit if you order.

14. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

1) Krondor: The Betrayal
    2) Krondor: The Assassins
    3) Krondor: Tear of the Gods

Haven't read them yet, as I like bying full series and I've not seen them all together so far. Read (and own) all his other books with the exception of the Kelewan trilogy and Fairy Tale (which has nothing to do with the other books).

15. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I've read the books, and played the first game, and I'll agree with the assesments above. The Empire series was outstanding, and the Riftwar was good. The Serpentswar (the most recent) was a little too formulaic, but good reading, and the stand-alone books in between (Prince of the Blood and the other one, can't remember it's title) were a mixed bag, some good points some slow. Feist is one of my favorite authors, one i reread every so often.

16. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I believe you're referring to 'King's Buccaneer'. It's more like a prelude to the Serpentwar saga than a stand-alone book.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.