1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who "deserves" to die?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by fade, Nov 5, 2003.

1. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Does anyone "deserve" to die.

The reason could vary, from acts they have done, to being different. This could range anywhere from capital punishment, accidents, murder or war. Have fun and be nice.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    People suffering from a terminal illness or permenant injury, one which they have no hope whatsoever of recovery, and whose life consists of constant pain and agony. Not that they deserve death, per se, but they've certainly earned the right.

Beyond that it's very subjective. As much as I hate to quote popular movies, "Some who die deserve life, and some who live deserve death." Or something Gandalfish to that effect.

I would rather that certain people receive punishment than death. Death, in many ways, is a "Get Out of Jail Free" card, figuratively and literally.

3. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Jeez, this is a huge topic! I don't can't possibly list everyone who deserves death, but I will give it a try.

Also, please, no one quote Gandalf!

• Osama bin Laden
    • Saddam Hussein
    • Eric Rudolf (American Terrorist)
    • All the terrorists in Camp X-Ray
    • All child molesters
    • All rapists
    • All murderers

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thank you Blackhawk, you proved the point of my last sentance beautifully.

Saddam, Osama, rapists, murderers...do they deserve death really? The gut reaction of most people is "of course, ya bleedin' heart hippy!" But think about it. Let's say they die, right now. Bam - God snaps his fingers, they all drop dead. Arguably the world is a better place in their absence; I certainly wouldn't cry about it. But if you were to ask me how I felt about that, I would have to say "I'm disappointed, and ultimately unsatisfied." Why?

If they're dead, they can't be made to suffer as they've made others suffer. They can never know pain, or loss, or the agony which they truly deserve. Death to the scum of the earth is a gift to them, if a brief repreave and a fleeting sense of justice for the rest of us. I suppose this is where a strong belief in some form of Heaven of Hell comes into play. But I say why take the chance that there is neither? In death, Saddam, Osama et al certainly get the last laugh, having been truly pardoned in death for their crimes in life by avoiding any kind of meaningful punishment.

Justice. Not revenge, but justice. The reaping of what you sow. Death is a "Get-out-of-Jail-FREE" card.

5. fade Gems: 13/31

I personally like the option of death by torture for some of the above mentioned people, but I am somewhat cruel and unfeeling towards those people.

6. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I deserve to die. You deserve to die. We all deserve to die...as surely we will. None of us will escape this life alive, and there is no slow torturous death that can be applied to the truly wicked, such as will be applied in the world to come.

If Osama lives, prospers, even mocks the survivors of those he has killed in acts of violence sponsored by his hand, it will be but a flash compared to the retribution to come. It is not for us to try to judge the suitability for life of anyone, rather to aknowledge that all will be judged at some time.

Strangely, we all actually deserve to live, but we won't here, we won't now...there is hope for tomorrow...

wait...am I posting on the wrong thread...do I need to go back to that "religion" one...

EDIT: Wow, just reread my post...usually I try to be optomistic and look at things from a humorous vein...don't know what got into me (I'm still right, though :p )

7. Manus Gems: 13/31

Hacken Slash has beat me too it. To speak of who deserves to live and die is folly, we all deserve death, it is our birth-right, and our only birth-right.

Regardles of what awaits us upon this death this will remain so, on this, as in all else, we are all on equal footing.

To say you wish for another to die, to suffer pain, is not justice. Who are we to decree this? Do you have the understanding necessary to make such a descision? To weigh each life, it's past, it's untold future? You do not, I assure you. To gain pleasure from anothers pain is no different to inflicting that pain, which is what you have critisised these others for. Perhaps you too deserve to die.

But as I have said, everyone does.

8. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

OK...SCARY...second straight thread that Manus and I have agreed on...somebody slipped a dose of Liberal Humanist in my coffee...HELP!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

9. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The only people that I will say I think 'deserve' to die is (as Death Rabbit said) those with no chance of recovery from terminal illness or debilitating injury. Those who (as I would be in the same situation) have not the will or courage to face life with such obstacles have certainly earned the right to die if they so wish - hence I'm a big supporter of Euthanasia, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. As for those of Osama's ilk, they can begin their suffering now for those they have caused to suffer, and then continue their torture on the other side of this existence.

10. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] I don't deserve to die. :p

I'm too brilliant, too strong, too fast and just overall too good (in an evil sense) to be killed by anyone.

Bring it on, ya' wussies!

:p :p

Regarding the topic, though, I'm not about to judge as vehemently as Blackhawk. I'll be more general instead. Who deserves to die?

Anyone that gets in my way! :evil:

11. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Well, if your religious, then we all deserve death in the sense that if you were evil in life, your punishment will be legendary. If you were "good" in life, your reward will be legendary. The only exception would be fundementalist Islam (not real Islam). That, seems to me, is twisted the other way round.

If you're not religious, then nobody deserves death. People who are "good" don't deserve the long slumber. People who are "evil" don't deserve the release-without-punishment.

One thing that really bugs me is that people think Osama Bin Laden is the opitome of evil. I don't think he's particularly evil, he just beleives that by destroying innocent westerners, he somehow destroys part of the western monster.
    There are other people who are more evil than he. Multinational Corporations, various Governments (from US to Congo to Indonesia), and people who put profits ahead of human life.

12. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Now, now. :nono:

I didn't specify how I was going to execute them. I'm positive I could scare the hell out of you! :) :evil:

13. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *stands beside Shura, although slightly further back and out of katana reach*

*nods*

The deservance of death is in the eye of the beholder.

14. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

Well, have to agree on that. Evil does depends on the eye of the beholder! We think Osama is evil, mainly because of the World trade center thing. What many fail to understand is that many terrorist aren't evil, they just fight back with the only weapons they have. They are not some evil overlords why wants to take over the world, no they just tries to retaliate against western imperialism. (Call it what you will, it remains the same.)

Ofcourse, the world trade bombing is a tragic incident, and all who have been touched by it has my sympathy, just as well as any who have starved or died because of disease in Iraq because of the western trade blockade of the country. Every where the west turns its eyes, people start to die. I don't view the people who fights back as evil. As being a soldier under Nato, they are still my enemy, no mistake there.

All the above naturally only comments about the people who fights for their religion and people, no matter how wrong it might seem with our western eyes. As for all the tyrants and dictators out there who rules through a reign of terror and oppression, there are absolutely no hope of redemption.

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

All humans deserve to die eventually but no one should be killed against their will. I am not religious and do not believe in good or evil I only believe in human. People do not kill because they are evil there is allways motives behind the kill, be it mental illness or greed. So what about those who are victims of this? Unfortunate and sad but killing the one responsible really doesn't help anyone.

16. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Neither does torture, if you feel better from hurting somebody then you are a filthy animal higher on the scale of evil than they are, at least they're only causing pain to further a different objective. No person is beyond redemption and as human beings we do not have the right to dictate who "deserves" to live and die.

Classic knee jerk reaction, let's kill everyone. Odds are that every person on the hypothetical list can be somehow cured of their desire to hurt others, it's just that nobody is willing to make the effort.

17. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Yeah, he's such a misunderstood guy. If only we were all more understanding the world would be a better place. Hitler? Well you could argue that some his policies were a little extreme, but there are worse ways to kill people than gassing them, you know. Stalin? The Soviet Union was a really big country. How else was he to impose order except by killing a tenth of the people and enslaving a further quarter. Chairman Mao? Well, China's biggest problem has always been overpopulation and, say what you like, you can't criticize Mao for not doing his best to reduce the number of Chinese.

That really is the dumbest sentiment I've read in a fair while.

18. Manus Gems: 13/31

I know I've spoken up about this sort of thing before, but I want everyone to consider things for a moment.

You critisize someone for doing something you don't like- you then say you will enjoy great pleasure from doing the exact same thing, or worse, to those people. Of course only they are the bad guy, you are just enacting justice. :rolleyes: How can you hate so many people you don't even know? If it is only their actions, or motivations, you hate, how can you accept the same things in yourself?

Arabwel, Grovflab, Morgoroth, and rastilin are right on the money in this, it would do us all well to heed their advice.

Right and wrong is usually different depending on your personal view, but nevertheless, there is usually a reason for such an act- to the people perpetrating it it may seem right, it may seem wrong, but they always have a reason. As such, how can we deem which particular act is right or wrong - we do not have a memory of all of history, past and present, so how could we? Are our own views more valid? Or is it a simple case of majority rules? Would you take the burden of all mankind on your shoulders, accept the consequence of every misdeed - for this is what you do when you pass judgement on another, you take responcibility for their actions. All we can do is do the right thing as we see it, and perhaps try to show others this way, make sure each moment is lived as we see best -we may be wrong in our own beliefs, but that is the best we can do. And you must apply every moral principle to yourself before any other. How can you say it is wrong to kill, or cause pain, when you are advocating such a thing yourself? That is senseless. First and foremost you are responcible for your own actions, and your own thoughts. If not you then who?

Do you understand the damage you do to yourself when you wish another ill will, when you cause another to suffer? If you did you would not feel this way.

But that is irrelevant in the face of the fact that that what you yourself do is wrong - by the very verdict that you applied to those you would cause death upon, you have condemned yourself to that same misdeed.

To take pleasure in someone else's suffering is a mental ilness. I do not accuse any one here of being insane for I am sure that if you did such a thing you would regret it, you would feel ashamed.

Let go of your rage, it does not help anyone, least of all yourself. Mystra's Chosen has also brought up a good point - there are a lot of people doing a lot of worse things here than the ones you speak out against so, it seems to me that the only factor involved here is your emotions. Use your reason, your sense of morality, that impulse which directs you - all of these will be far better guides.

I hope I have not spoken harshly or condescendingly- I have tried to keep my tone neutral, it is only that I do not wish to see people believing such things. I do not think many of you even truly believe the things you have said, your wishes forsome kind of vengence whatever they be, I think that such things are written only in anger, in the surface shroud with which mankind hides itself. I sincerely hope this is true. We cannot deem what is right or wrong, good or bad, in death, death is none of these things. To wish for it is something else entirely.

19. Serpent Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I totally agree with Manus, couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

20. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Of course, even though I understand somewhat why these people do things such as the WTC and suicide bombings, that doesn't mean that I think we are in the wrong and we should let them keep doing it. I'm angry that so many people have died. I'm also angry that the US and Canada and Britain have aided in the killing of millions of people from Cambodia to Nicaragua. What the major countries of the world have done is a hell of a lot worse than what Bin Laden or Hussein could ever do. Not even Hitler compares to the bodycount these coutries have raised. It's in the hundreds of millions . There are people who insist that the Holocaust didn't happen, but there's even more people who insist that a different Holocaust has occured. The one that our governments have created.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.