1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Who claims the most post-nominal letters?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Carcaroth, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I've been thinking about ordering some more business cards in the new year, and realised I've got rather a list of post-nominal letters accumulating. Currently with four, but I could extend it fairly easily to six.

ACGI, MEng, CEng, MIET

Extendable with EUR-ING and MCIBSE.

What does anyone else have?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't put any on my business cards. I can, but not as many as you.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't put any of my letters on any of my cards because I think it's a bit pretentious, especially when people put every minor qualification and night school certificate in.

4. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I only have two sets, though I have a pre-nominal one, I guess.

I put the pre-nominal on the card, not the post-nominals.

The colleagues who work at the big academic medical center nearby all have every degree they've ever earned listed on their cards, though. Something about the hierarchy there, I guess.

I remember, though, back before dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was in graduate school, that it was the custom to address one another by "Mr." and "Miss" (hardly any "Ms.") then, regardless of degrees or other titles earned.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I just have C.A.on mine. I probably would have added on my M.Acc. but I didn't order the cards. At my previous job I had the full H.B.A., M.Acc., C.A. on my cards - that was kind of silly but again I didn't order the cards. Highest university degree and main professional designation seems reasonable to me.

On my old firms website they listed all of our minor qualifications and that was down right laughable.

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Since last monday, I can use Dipl.-Pol.

That's all.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    We don't have post-nominals here unless we're priests or monks (OP, OFM, SI etc) or judges (SSA, ASR, SSN etc, in a random order) and both are unofficial. Some people have a lot of prenominals if they combine scientific degrees with military ranks, perhaps priestly ranks and some other stuff. Needless to say, I don't have any priestly rank, hope never to have any military one (and especially not priv.) and it's still half a year before I get my Master's.

8. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I may sound stupid but, the hell's are post-nominals letters ?

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    What you put after your name, e.g. MA for Master of Arts (you surely know this one) or OFM for Ordo Fratrum Minorum (brother's minor aka Franciscans) or OBE for Order of the British Empire.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

How 'bout "Sir Wordplay, MA by OBA?" :D

No, I don't list any of the titles. For those who it matters, they already know, and for those who it does not matter, why write at all?

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    And what about: Nakia, RE (Rogue Extraordinaire)?

Seriously, I think it depends on what the card is for. What is your most important post-nominal? A business card should tell people a little about you but too many letters and people such as myself just get cross-eyed and see the card as confusing or pretentious.

If you have control over what goes on the card ask yourself; "Who is this card for? What do they need to know? Will they know what these letters stand for?"

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Master of Nuhn, MN? I would mis the 'o' in the middle. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.