1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Whitney Houston

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by LKD, Feb 17, 2012.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

OK, I'm surprised a thread has not been started about this. But I'll kick it off:

1: Whitney was a talented entertainer. She had some good songs. Her death is a loss for the entertainment community.

2: Whitney's death is not a tragedy in the sense that forces out of her control took her away from this world too soon. She was a victim of her own foolish and self-indulgent behaviours. More so than many addicts, she had the opportunity to clean her act up and set a good example for the African-American community she cared so much about (see below). Her addictions were well known and well documented and demonstrate that she had contempt for the laws of the land.

3: I do not believe in speaking ill of the dead, but I also do not believe in whitewashing them. She was just as bad as the addicts who infest our country, and I don't blame people who complain that she is lauded while a poor crack ***** who dies anonymously in a back alley is villified. Some would say that we should laud the ***** just as much as Whitney, but realistically, I think we should criticize both as harshly. I know that's cruel, and Whitney fans will howl, but great talent doesn't excuse drug abuse.

4: The hullabaloo about her funeral is riduculous. Fans who enjoyed her music may be energetic, but they don't have a "right" to see the funeral. It shouldn't be streamed. The family and close friends should be allowed to send her off privately without a big show.

5: I personally don't like her based on her idiotic comments she made when she married the upstanding Bobbie Brown. She said something along the lines of "I'd never marry a White guy, because I think it's important to show Black solidarity" I apply the doctrine of reversibility here, which I know aggravates many of you but tough luck. The Black community lauded her straight shooting show of support. Now suppose, just suppose, Taylor Swift were to say "I'd never marry a Black guy, because I think it's important to show White solidarity." What would we call her? A racist. Plain and simple. The ACLU, the NAACP, FBI, and every other acronymed group would pile onto her, and Oprah would crucify her on her piece of crap network. Yet Houston gets cheered. Racism of that sort is either right or it's wrong. Utter hypocrisy. It is for this reason that I have never liked or respected her and her supporters.

6: Now, I trust I have not spoken too harshly, as we all make mistakes in life. But what gets under my skill is the unstated asserion that great wealth or talent excuses people from behaving properly.

damedog likes this.
  2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In what way? I don't think she'd produced anything new since the late '80s and her more recent attempts to even sing were a disaster. As far as entertainment is concerned she might as well've been dead a long time ago. Unless you're talking about the train-wreck kind of entertainment.

3. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I was trying to say something nice before mentioning the negative stuff. I'll try again:

She was someone's daughter, mother, wife, and friend. She had value because she was a human being. The loss of her life is sad.

4. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    IMO it's not so much that as just the fact that people find celebrities interesting, particularly when they flame out. So crackhead Whitney is interesting and deserving of all kinds of circumstantial consideration (Why did she fall apart? Was it Bobbi Brown? If only she'd gotten help!), but random crackhead x is not and should just be jailed or institutionalized or shipped to the morgue without comment, no matter the unknown complexities of his or her character.

I thought Whitney released an album a couple years ago during her 'comeback' (same time as she appeared on Oprah with that odd speech impediment that everybody found so creepy).

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    From what I remember she had a really good voice, at least back in the 80s. Her songs seemed more popish and more of the flash in the pan type, rather than they were substantive. In other words, pretty much forgetable.

I suppose from an entertainment perspective that may be true. But it's a pretty sad comment on her work as an artist, that she is more remembered for her marriage to Bobbi Brown, rather than her artistry.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Whitney Houston won an oustounding 6 Grammys in 14 years. Slightly less impressive was her recent attempt at 6 grams in 14 minutes.

LKD likes this.
  7. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:

So it was overdosing?

8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, the reports are fuzzy. There were drugs in her room, they were prescription, but they were obtained illegally, she OD'd on them, she OD'd on illegal drugs, it was just alcohol, etc etc etc.

Regardless of the details, you would have a hard time convincing me that her drug use, one way or another, didn't contribute greatly to her death. And as I said before, she was not one of my favorites, but she was a human being, and it is almost always a loss when one of our fellow humans is lost to us, regardless of whose fault it was.

9. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanx for the clarification.

It's sad.

I liked her.
    But a few days prioir to her death, I got stuck in traffic and the radio station played her 'I have nothing' and I went home thinking what she was doing now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.