1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which room do you rent?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by nunsbane, Feb 16, 2008.

1. nunsbane

nunsbane

It occured to me the other day that it has become reflex for me to choose the merchant room in the inns. Even when I have more money than the gods and have the option of various levels of luxury I choose the 'sensible' accomodations. This choice is in keeping with my personality - I'm not impressed with the purchase of overly expensive items or services and readily opt for acceptible quality or accomodations at a moderate price.

So, which room do you rent and why?

2. Halasz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Peasant? Thats all I ever need.

3. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

As expensive as I can get. The cheap rooms don't offer much in the way of healing. Besides, you're roleplaying a hero. Sleeping in a stable along with the horses is not very heroic, as Minsc would probably say.;)

4. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Depends how injured I am.

5. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Depends on my character. My usual dwarf character beeing of royal blood wants as high quality as possible. My old ranger generally refuses to sleep under a roof completelly (To the entire rest of the parties annoyance...) etc.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    For a second I didn't notice which thread this was in and thought you meant a real room in a real inn. Needless to say I was more than a little bewildered :shake:

I almost never rent a room to sleep. My party always sleeps under the stars. My usual party includes Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Khalid and Jaheira, and in my first playthrough I set reasons why each wouldn't want to use inns. Jaheira being a druid wants to be close to nature and Khalid follows, naturally. Minsc is a ranger and Boo loves sleeping in the outdoors, much to Dynaheir's annoyance. The PC and Imoen feel threatened after Gorion's murder and feel more comfortable away from busy places.

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I don't rent a room either. Why pay if you can rest for free outdoors, especially since distractions can even yield gold and XP.

8. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I almost always sleep in the highest quality rooms -- after all, the party deserves it ;) -- except at the start of BG1 and BG2, when resources are fewer, but also in keeping with roleplay (someone staight off Candlekeep won't necessarily want or have the funds to spend his time in the luxury of fine silks and wine, for instance).

9. Draspin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Peasant room in the beginning and later on i go for the noble room. Money is always a problem when i play through Bg.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    :confused: Even the most expensive rooms only cost 8 gp. Go kill a gibberling!

11. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Lol!! Even if you spend all of your initial gold in advance for the early members of your party, by the time you reach the Friendly Arm Inn you should have AT LEAST 100gp, so I don't see why you wouldn't rest in the best room possible :confused:

12. Draspin Gems: 1/31

Well i spend all my money in Beregost and High Hedge. Else am saving up for platemail or tower shield +1 and 8 golds seems much when you might aswell take a peasant room or sleep outside.

13. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    @ Draspin: Sorry, but I disagree. You can get 8 gold anywhere. Besides, even 10 times 8 gold won't get you much closer to the items you mention.

If I happen to be in a town, than I rent the best rooms the inn can offer, but I rarely rest at an inn.

(When my party is battered enough to need rest, the inns are usually no where to be found.)

14. Draspin Gems: 1/31

Am just saying all money counts. During my first run i would always **** my pants when i ran into bandits. I could take gibberlings, but unless you sleep you don't meet that many. When i finally began beating up hobgoblins and the bandits i used all money for decent gear. Plus 10 times 8 gold gets you closer to my goal than 10 times 0 gold.

15. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Noble/royal rooms(forget what they are called)

I usually play an elven wizard....and god knows wizards like their luxury :)

16. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Yep, luxury rooms with the most expensive (or the ones with a catchy name) drinks...when I am in a good mood to celebrate something, I even make every member of my party drunk with the most expensive liquors available. :) Such little luxuries cost next to nothing in the big picture, but is a fun little RP factor for me. :roll:

I remember such a quote from IWD2. '5 gp? I could pull that much from my stool if I wanted' or something like that. :lol:

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Why sleep? I just save and reload as it rests the party and if I need healing I visit a church. Of course that is when I don't have a Mage or Cleric in my group; when I have one I do rest under the stars.

18. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Reloading doesn't usually rest the party :skeptic:

I've often loaded a game to have someone whine they're tired because I've made them march for five days straight :D

As for rooms it depends on my character I'm playing. Some prefer luxury whatever their current income while some are more modest.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I go for royal - we're ridiculously rich, so why not?

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Hey, it's a roleplaying game :D Most ofter I go for royal though, plenty of cache. I once played with a party and decided not to go for the best rooms, because as adventurers, we didn't like too soft beds :)

By the way, I also drink beer or wine in the inns often :D I don't know why exactly, I just think it suits after a day of killing monsters :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.