1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which race fits the story best?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Zaragoth, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] I´m wondering whoch race and class you think fits best to thestory about the children of Bhaal and all that (BG2).
    I´m playing a dwarf right now, but it acctually doesn´t fit in if you ask me. What´s your oppinion?

2. Jander Sunstar Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Half-Orc Illusionist :pPPP

3. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Human warrior or mage seems to fit best, I think.

4. Sorcerer, any pure race. Magic flowing through your veins would make sense if you are a child of a minor deity.

Second place is a priest of Talos.

Third is a fighter of some flavor.

Bhaal consorted rather....broadly, let's say. In ToB you find out he did lots of things with lots of races. So the door is open to almost anything.

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Any race except human I'd say. :p

6. ayecapitan Guest

Considering that your brother and sister are human, I'd say to be human is the choice. You might disagree of course.

7. SPROUTY Gems: 2/31

All the races except halfling.it wouldn't be a very scary god of murder if he was a gnome or dwarf.

8. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ayecaptain, if by brother and sister you are referring to Imoen and Sarevok(which I'm sure you are), you should know Bhaalspawn come in more races than just human(waaay more).

I think any race except dwarves and half-orc, just because I can't see them being raised in Candlekeep by a wise mage. Maybe gnomes, too...not sure.

9. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hmm, Gnomes would fit in, they do get 19 int you know...

10. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'd say a human or elf assasin. I mean you are a child of the god of murder right?

11. Magnus_G Gems: 2/31

You are the child of the lord of murder, but does that mean that if you are a child of a doctor you should be a doctor? Even in Greek mythology Hades, Poseidon, Hestia, Hera and Demeter were children of Chronus, and they had wildly different occupations.

12. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

I think that any "half-race" (half-orc or half-elf) suits the best because Bhaal isnt human, dwarf, gnome, elf or halfling. so they should have made the races: half-dwarf, half-gnome or half-halfling. and the sorcerer is the best fitting class due to the desciption of "the blood of gods running in their veins". Just my two Zhent's worth. :D

13. Auger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Any race, but a Wild Mage seems like the best class...ToB though.

14. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'd have to disagree on the half-race part. the half races are half human, half another race. As Bhaal is a God, He can assume the form (and basic genetic material) of any race He chooses. If the half-races are only produced by the coupling of two pure races (as opposed to them being a species in their own right, with two half elf/orcs having babies which are half elf/orc) then Bhaal would have to impregnate a human in the form of an elf or orc (or vice versa), which is a bit wierd.
    About the deviant mage's point. Gorion would surely recognise you for your Bhaal blood and give you guidance regardless of species. It may be difficult for your mother to have known him if she was dwarf or half-orc, but there are dwarves in Candlekeep (Reevor, fearless campaigner against rats). A half-orc would have had a very hard time in BG1 - as the descripiton says they are heaily discriminated against on the Sword Coast.
    You:"hello, I'm level 1"
    Peasant:"Argh! An orc!"
    Flaming Fist: "Die Orc scum!"

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited July 20, 2001).]

15. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I would say human, or something with similar aging process, as it's said that you and imoen knew each other from children. I think there is a difference if we take a 100 year old elf and 1 year old Imoen, somewhere it doesn't fit

16. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

Ironbeard, I have a little bit more to my view, but this is the SoA boards and not the ToB boards.

*SPOILER about my SPOILER*
    It's about the full story of how you came to live at Candlekeep. If you know what I'm talking about, good. If you don't because you don't have ToB, well, that's why I'm not going to spoil it here. If you don't know because you aren't following my line of thought(my thoughts are often...unique ;)), either e-mail me or say something in the ToB forum.

Or whatever. :D

17. NAZAR Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I'd Have to Say Human Because of Imoen and Seravok. The Best Class would Be Sorcerer Because Blood of The Gods Flows Through their veins. I would also have to say Some sort of Fighter. Maybe a Paladin If we are talking about fighters because The Charachter was raised by Gorian who aftre all was a good guy.

18. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

A proper race.... Hmmmm....

In my oppinion, only human, elf and half-elf is appropiate. I can't imagine the others being the spawn of a god.

About classes, well I think that a fitting class is a warrior type of class, but almost every other class seems fit, EXCEPT druid and cleric. You are a child of a god, and so whatever deity you would be worshipping would inform you about this fact. Story wice, I don't think that kensai, monk and barbarian really fit in.

I do think that the classes should be (do I dare say this?) restricted to better suit the story, kind of like in PS:T.

19. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] "In my oppinion, only human, elf and half-elf is appropiate. I can't imagine the others being the spawn of a god."

Now I am afraid the Alliance of the Undersized has to object to that. Are you denying the divine nature of Moradin, Garl et al. Are you assuming that the generic pantheon is human/elf only, as opposed to transcending mortal races? All Undersized comrades are deeply incensed that you deny their divine potential and the validity of their religious beliefs.

Deviant mage, thanks for not spoiling, I'll buy TOB, then e-mail you when I still don't get it ;)

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited July 21, 2001).]

20. Whistler Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I dunno Ironbeard, maybe the dwarven gods are elven gods with thyroid conditions... just sayin' :D

What do I know anyway, I am one of those pansy human paladins anyway, heh.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.