1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which party build would be best?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Elven sorceress, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Elven sorceress Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi, everyone. I'm contemplating a new playthrough of Baldur's Gate II, with my imported character from Baldur's Gate I.

But I'm unsure which party build would be most efficient to face everything.

I'm trying to decide between these possible parties:

My PC (Elven Fighter/Mage)
    Korgan
    Keldorn
    Anomen
    Jaheira
    Imoen

or

PC
    Keldorn
    Anomen
    Jaheira
    Imoen
    Edwin

or

PC
    Keldorn
    Korgan
    Anomen
    Imoen
    Edwin

or

PC
    Keldorn
    Korgan
    Jaheira
    Imoen
    Edwin

I want to have a balanced party that can get through anything. I'm going to need Imoen since she's going to be the only member in my party with thief skills.

And I have a question: can Demogorgon be damaged by spells like Comet and Dragon's Breath?

Thanks in advance!

2. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Install Level1NPCs mod.

It allows you to alter any of the NPCs in the game to whatever class you like.

My party, which will go though a massive megamod install with hundreds of mods of extra content, are:
    CHARNAME multiclass Fighter/Thief/Mage
    Jaheira multiclass Fighter/Avenger
    Minsc multiclass Stalker/Cleric
    Imoen multiclass Swashbuckler/Mage
    Viconia multiclass Priest of Talos/Mage
    Edwin multiclass Thief/Conjurer

3. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In BG2 you'll want at least 2-3 fighters, with at least one shield-user; at least 2-3 casters, one arcane-type (mage or sorcerer) and 1-2 divine-type (cleric and another cleric or druid); and a thief/x. They don't all have to be separate characters - if we go by default classes Jaheira for example counts as both a shield-user and a divine-type caster while Imoen counts as both an arcane-type caster and a thief.

So,
    My PC (Elven Fighter/Mage), Korgan, Keldorn, Anomen, Jaheira, Imoen:
    Strong, solid party. Plenty of divine magic. This party will have four people with fighter HLAs come late game - that's an awful lot of Whirlwinds/Greater Whirlwinds. This party should have an easier time taking down tough monsters.

Swapped Korgan for Edwin:
    Still a good party, just more magic than might. This party will have a much stronger early-mid game than the previous one, thanks to more Hastes/Fireballs/etc.

Swapped Jaheira for Edwin:
    Having only 1 divine caster can be problematic for a party with at least 3 high HP characters. You will definitely want Jaheira to be in this party, she's a great healer thanks to her Summon Woodland Beings spell which summons dryads. Dryads have Mass Cure and lots of level 5 wizard spells.

Swapped Anomen for Edwin.
    See above.

Demogorgon is only vulnerable to spells above level 6 (so Comet, Dragon's Breath and spells like Horrid Wilting can damage him) but you have bring down his protections/resistances/immunities. Lower Resistance won't work (level 6) so use Pierce Shield.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What ever you do FOR THE LOVE OF THE GODS DON"T cast timestop. It doesn't affect him. :p

5. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

But it does give your mage a chance at a one-on-one with him. :)

6. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The Wizard? No thanks. I am pretty crappy when I use my Wizard / Sorcerer but I try anyway :)
    When I do choose to kill Demogorgon I like to use the Rogues in the party and set a lot of traps. They usually kill Demogorgon instantly. But that's with a lot of ToB traps. Don't know how it would work in the pre-high levels....

7. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

Demogorgon is cheesy, bugged and ridiculous. So many better fights in the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.