1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which order should I install them in?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    BG2_tweaks-v9
    BG2FixedBrotherOdren
    BG2TOBFixedStaffOTtheMagi
    BG2TOBFixedTearOfBhallStatBonuses
    BG2TOBFixedTripleVlassMageNotGettingHLASpellSlots
    Weimer-Ease-v33
    Weimer-ItemUpgrade-v38
    Weimer-SoulafeinMod-vs103

What does "EasyTutuManager" do for TOB?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I believe that BG2Tweaks incorporates everything in Weimer Ease of Use. You don't need the ease-of-use at all if you're installing Tweaks. It's the successor, and I think it says so on the Weidu download site.

I'm unfamiliar with the "fixedXXX" patches, but I'd say install the Weimer patches first sans ease-of-use, then the tweakpack, then the Fixed stuff.
    You should consider the G3 tweak and G3 fixpack instead of BG2 tweaks.

3. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm a little mixed up. Are you saying the only file I need is the Tweaks file?

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
    G3? I must search for them. They shall be mine :p

Haha! I have found them. There is a heck of a list for what they fix/tweak. :)

So these BG3 files are the only 2 files I need?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

BG3 files? Do you mean the G3 Tweaks and G3 Fixes?

Here's my order (essentially just clarifying Slick's):
    SoA
    ToB
    Patch (unless you've got BG2 from GoG!)
    G3 Fixpack
    Weimer's Item Upgrade
    Weimer's Solaufein
    G3 Tweakpack

As Slick said, I have no idea what the "BG2Fixed" thingies are; maybe components of BG2 Tweaks that you originally wanted to install? Can you clarify what they are? Maybe we can help on their installation order, then.

By the way, Solaufein is not for the faint of heart: (1) In order to fully appreciate the mod and experience all the conversations, you need to rush through Chapter 1 and 2, and
    get right through the Underdark as quickly as possible.
    (2) There are some really (and I mean REALLY) tricky fights included, with no way of avoiding them except by avoiding almost the entire mod's content. (3) There are some really (and I mean REALLY) over-powered items in the mod.

So tread carefully, young Padawan. :) It's still a very well-crafted mod with some excellent dialogue and tactical battles; highly recommended.

5. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Yes sorry about that. Mistake in the typing

Thank you very much for the order listing. Makes me unconfussed. Lol.

As for the "BG2Fixed" patches/mods I can't say where I got them. I stumbled upon them many years ago and have always used them with regard to their file names.

I managed to get Solaufein once out of my many adventures before but I don't remember rushing through to get him. I take it I should only do Nalia's quest and save the others for later upon my return to the surface world :)
    Yes it is :)

Thanks again you guys (or gals if you are) for the help. Makes my mind calm down

---------- Added 0 hours, 25 minutes and 26 seconds later... ----------

Also where do I install the Solaufein mod? my main directory for the game:

C:bad:Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII - SoA

Or the override folder?

---------- Added 1 hours, 44 minutes and 2 seconds later... ----------

I've got another problem in addition the the install folder.

Now I can't get the cheats to work? I so hate the long walk back and forth between the Genie and the slave dryads. Also getting to Aran's room :(

I've edited the baldur.ini file with the "Debug Mode=1" & the "Cheats=1" but I can't get it to work.

I've installed in the order Mr Mermaid suggested:

SoA
    ToB
    Patch (unless you've got BG2 from GoG!)
    G3 Fixpack
    Weimer's Item Upgrade
    Weimer's Solaufein
    G3 Tweakpack

Any ideas?
    Also my question about installing the Slaunfein mod location?

6. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    There are hundreds of interesting mods with extra contents out there. Check this out. Not only does it list all the mods with their download locations, it also describes the best working install order for them all. You can get help with any issues here.

MrMermaid likes this.
  7. MrMermaid

Coineineagh, I use the same list myself, with the slight modification of avoiding BP Ascension and instead sticking normal Ascension (hosted at Weimer's website) right at the beginning after the patch, since BPA is incompatible with SCSII. Otherwise the list is invaluable, although some of the links are to out-dated versions of mods; zose crazy Germans!

8. coineineagh

Media:
    I recently completed my own meagamod install based on version 12.0 of the BiG World Project, and I remember seeing it mentioned in there as well. Ascension is an old mod by Weimer, so it's complicated to install, as old mods often are. I believe Improved Sendai needed to be installed before BP, and all the others after it. I forgot the reasons why.

Anyway, I'd be very surprised if an incompatibility like this was not already known to the BWP, since that's the whole reason for the project in the first place: avoiding incompatibilities.

To quote the pdf:
    "Ascension is one the most popular mods at all, but as long as he is not fundamentally revised, it causes troubles in
    each configuration. Ascension is about the only mod that should be installed before the BG2 fixpack.
    The Big Picture mod contains its own, improved version of this mod.
    Ascension is fully compatible with SCS, however, the version of Ascension that is included in the Big Picture mod is
    not compatible with SCS.
    The component 'Tougher Illasera' needs to be installed before BGT-WeiDU, since AR4000.BCS is replaced, resulting
    in all the BG1 dream cutscenes occurring at rest in a Throne of Bhaal game."

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  9. MrMermaid

Ascension is by David Gaider. I think Weimer converted it to a WeiDU format. As I said, it causes no problems if installed right at the beginning, so that is what I do. Since the Big Picture Ascension component is incompatible with SCS I avoid it (in fact I've never really used the BP mod itself at all; generally I've not bothered with any of the large expansions like TDD, SoS, etc., so have not needed the inter-mod balancing supposedly introduced by BP).

10. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Ok so I re-installed the game and after I patched with the official ToB 26498 patch the "cheats" stopped working. I can no longer use the "ctrl + 8" to get all 18 ability scores during character creation. Nor can I get the in game "cheats" to work. The "ctrl + space" just pauses the game.
    They all worked fine until "patched with the official patch". I haven't installed any of the mods yet so I'm open for suggestions on how to get the "cheats" to work?

On another note, how do I get to save the "baldur.ini" file without having to copy and paste from another file? I can't just save over the current "baldur.ini". It tells me "access is denied". How do I get around that? I know I can copy and past from a "baldur.ini" file outside of the BG2 directory and then save that file and swap it out with the one in the BG2 directory but that's a pain in the rump all the time.
    Does that make sense?

11. MrMermaid

Regarding the second problem, it sounds as if you're installing BG2 into a subfolder of Program Files. Make a fresh installation in a folder external to Program Files, e.g., C:bad:Games\BG2 - SoA, and report back on whether you have "write" capabilities on files in that folder. Alternatively (a little more complicated but quicker), copy the entire BG2 - SoA folder to such a new place, and rename the CDX options in the baldur.ini file to match the new folder.

(The problems are entirely due to Windows Vista and later versions being complete nightmares w.r.t. doing any behind-the-scenes fiddling. Microsoft think we all need our hands holding whenever we're using a computer...)

As far as the first problem goes, try the above steps, and see if the cheats work then.

12. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Fresh installation to a dif folder in progress. 1 other question. Does the ToB disc also have the bonus merchants? I have a disk I got that says "Baldur's Gate Shadows of Amn bonus disc"?

13. MrMermaid

ToB should include Deidre at the Adventurers' Mart. For Joluv in the Copper Coronet you'll need a separate component, which is included in the G3 Tweakpack under Content Tweaks. I don't know what the bonus disc you have is all about.

Did the advice in my last comment help?

14. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    So far so good. I'm kinda stuck trying to figure out which dir. to install the "Solaufein" mod into. The "main" folder or the "override" folder?
    I've got the stuff before that mod installed. Just waiting on your word where to instal the "Sola" mod. Then the "G3 Tweakpack" & I'm finished right?

15. MrMermaid

Unzip the file you downloaded into the main BG2 folder (i.e. the folder labelled BGII - SoA). You should then have in this main folder the following: a folder called solarom, and the two files setup-solaufein.exe and setup-solaufein.tp2. Double-click the .exe file, and follow the instructions from there. Just to be clear, for example, the path should be like the following: "C:bad:Games\BGII -SoA\solarom\".

All WeiDU mods have roughly the same basic format: an .exe and a .tp2 file, and a folder with all the data; these should all be found in the main folder, NOT the override folder. G3 mods (and some others) automatically start installing once you've used their automatic unpack process. The remaining ones require you to double-click the relevant .exe file.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  16. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Got them all installed with minimal frustration. Lol.
    All seams well for now. The all 18 stat cheat which I don't use unless I get tired of hitting the "re-roll" button :)
    Also the in game cheats are also working now.
    I don't know what the hell I did before with all the installations but this folder/directory works fine. Something so small can make oh so much different :)

Now I can "jump" around those long treks. Here I come Aran! You too Mr. "Genie" and Ms. "Dryads" :)

Thank you so very much for the help people. It is greatly appreciated

17. MrMermaid

No problems! A further piece of advice. For any large mod installation I always run a biff after I've installed my mods, as it takes files from the override folder, converts them to a .bif format, and stores them in the data folder. This can tremendously speed up the game when it's being played. However if any changes to the mods installed need to be done, you need to unbiff first, otherwise you can mess up the entire installation!

Also, coineineagh, I believe the link you posted isn't actually the correct one (the one with the list of all the mods); the list of links I always use is here, and the installation guide is here.

coineineagh likes this.
  18. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Why do you have to rush?

19. MrMermaid

Otherwise you won't experience most of the dialogue of the mod; there will be (almost) no sidequests left to do, during which time Solaufein normally initiates his dialogue.

20. coineineagh

Media:
    Hey, thanks for that. For some reason, that kerzenburg site seems to load well for me now. I always had trouble with it in the past. I actually had to google all the new content one by one!

Yes, I ran Generalized biffing too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.