1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which of these is most important to you…?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by aj142, Nov 17, 2002.

1. aj142 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Put these in their order of importance to you:

1. Interaction (does the environment seem alive with reactive items?)
    2. A.I. (are the in-game bots convincingly intelligent?)
    3. Graphics (does this game look photo-realistic?)
    4. Gameplay (does the game itself stimulate your gaming sensibilities?)
    5. Story (would it almost make a better book or movie?)
    6. Props (cars, guns, planes, boats… do you prefer more toys?)
    7. Sound (music, effects, voice overs have to be soundtrack-worthy!)
    8. Size (does this game take months to finish?)
    9. Design (the more realistic, the better?...... or the more bizarre and creative?)
    10. Gore (not for the faint of heart….lots of dismemberment & blood!)

… and what games, if any, do you think meet all or most of the criteria listed?

2. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

1 gameplay - the games got to be fun, or whats the point in it
    2 Story - Good twists and the like can make a game much more long living
    3 interaction - a bit of realism is good
    4 AI - I get really hacked off by games with with creatures that are constantly running around in circles
    5 graphics - I'm attracted to good looking games
    6 props - a nice change from lugging it around on foot, why not hop into a high powered car!
    7 size - I get a bit more satisfaction from a game that takes me ages to complete
    8 Design - a bit more realism
    9 sound - a good tune playing in the background while you smash an enemies head against the wall helps you to get right into the game
    10 Gore - it was difficult to place this one, because I enjoy a few games that aren't filled with bloodbaths, like The Sims

Halo! The answer to nearly every action/adventure gamers needs :)

[ November 17, 2002, 20:54: Message edited by: Midnight Falcon ]

3. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hmmm that's a very dificult question because it varies from genre to genre - trigger happy FPS do not need a good plot and quite often when there is a plot i find it just gets in the way.

My opinions for individual genres -

With a FPS the order would be -
    1. Gameplay (gameplay is always the tops. if it's not there why should i play the game?)
    2. Props (the more ways to blow things up the better)
    3. Gore (most FPS have atleast some gore and overall it does make the game better. I don't like over the top gore unless it's over the top in a stupid way - a la Serious Sam)
    4. AI (if it's team based needs to obey your commands and individually the enemies should provide a challenge but not be overpowered - except for bosses etc)
    5.Graphics (not nescecarily top of the range but they need a certain flair to make them stand out.)
    6. Design (level design it needs to bary but still be good)
    7. Interaction (only in that some walls should be destroyable and generally used to make bigger explosions)
    8. Size (if it's one of the more skirmish games - Quake 3/UT onwards then it should have lots of options for replayability but if it's a mainly singleplayer - Serious Sam again - then it should be a game to play in small doses when you just need to kill something, and dont want to get arrested for it)
    9. Sound (it could be higher but i've enjoyed many FPS that have very limited sound effects. Also i normally use my own music so i don't normally notice it)
    10. Story (FPS do not need a story period)

My order for RPG's -

1. Story (RPG's need a good story for me to play them. Torment had it. Torment made me love it. I love Torment [the game :heh: ] )
    2. Gameplay (all good games need good gameplay)
    3. Size (I like RPG's to be drawn out with a lot of sidequests)
    4. AI (it's more nesecary when your playing with a party but even without it needs to be good.)
    5. Interaction (i want to be able to take a sword and jam it in the door, i want to be able to take a beer glass and fill it with cows milk and then give it to a beggar etc. Ok so far no RPG that i know of has ever replicated this but you get the idea. Interaction is nesceary [MUD's have but that's different altogether])
    6. Props (Swords, guns, sticks, whatever. If it has a lot of fighting i want a lot of weapons. If it doesn't have a lot of fighting theres no need for a lot of weapons just put in the unique ones with background rather than lots of generic bastard sword +4 etc)
    7. Gore (If theres a lot of fighting then there should be a variation of death animations but gore is not essential and not in the way that the word gore is usually used)
    8. Sound (if it has voiceovers then they need to be good, or atleast not distract if they're not good. The music again is usually plain since it's almost always possible just to use your own)
    9. Graphics (RPG's should be story driven and fancy graphics are nice but are the last thing that's needed. While it may turn away some people an RPG with ugly graphics but a good story and gameplay can be a lot better than a pretty RPG that is just repition for no apparent reason)
    ****** Design isn't in this list because it varies too much and from what you said about design im not entierely sure what you meant about it.

Oh and an RPG that has all of these.... Torment :)

I know i've only done FPS and RPG but there are too many genres and too little time.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

1)Story and sound.

I'd rather you be more general with "sound" and call it "atmosphere". Atmosphere also includes, to a certain degree graphics, though.

3) Design and gameplay.

Gameplay will also include interaction, but since you're split them, I'll call it like this.

5) Interaction and ai.

I'd prefer the enemy to be dumb, and my guys to be smart, but that's just me. :)

7) Props, graphics, size, gore.

Basically, you can capture me with a good story. I like games that are quite nearly a book. I think what a LOT of designs teams don't do is actually sit down and write out the book, first. Figure out exactly what the story is, and have people read over it. Knowing where the plot holes are, knowing what needs to be expanded on and what could be cut short. Knowing the history and motivation of all the creatures.

I can deal with a quirky interface if the story is good enough. Fallout 1 is quirky. So is Planescape.

You have to have graphics good enough so you can tell a rifle from a pistol; a sword from a knife; a minigun from a rocket launcher. But after that, it's eye candy. Which IS nice to have, but I'd rather you work on that lastly.

5. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Here's my general preference, but as stated before, it varies from style to style of games:

1. Gameplay - where the action is. If none, the game is pretty much a movie.

2. Story - This is what hooks me to RPG's. Of course, this goes waaay down the list for action or simulation games.

3. Interaction - Makes things more interesting, as a whole. This is how to get the player to explore other things and poke around.

4. A.I. - It's only once you get better at the game, that you need better A.I. So this is really important if the game is to be replayable.

5. Graphics - I'm used to playing old games, so poor graphics isn't such a big deal. In fact, they cut down the load time!

6. Sound - If I can't stand the sound, I might play the game mute. Voice-overs aren't too important, like in Final Fantasy games.

7. Props - Just give a toy some strong attack power and it will do. Like in Earthbound.

8. Size - Short games better have replayability though! And long ones better keep my interest! I'll play either as long as those things are met.

9. Design - I'm not picky when I comes to real-world settings or Wonderland.

10. Gore - fake looking death is not a big deal.

6. aj142 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Lazy Bonzo, I agree that the genre does determine which criteria are more relevant, but wouldn't you agree that there are some games that actually meet all or most of the criteria? IMHO, those games are mostly in the action genre, like Vice City - there's a game with something for everyone that pretty much meets all the standards. Then there's HAVEN, which isn't out quite yet, but also has a little bit of everything you could want in it. If you haven't seen either of these games, you definitely should. I'd be happy to give you the links and send you on your way... but anyway, my point is that there are a small handfull of games that have it all; story, action, graphics, etc., etc. - and you still get to shoot things up!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.