1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which Mods To Choose?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Thor, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Skip "ease of use" and take "Virtue" instead ;) Also, consider "Banter Pack", "Flirt pack" and concurrent romances patch to spice it up (might have a bug with Virtue, though). Once Icewind Gate comes ready, that is a must download too :p

2. jcompton Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Most concurrent romances implementations are horribly broken. The one in the newest Ease of Use is alleged to work properly.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

"Most" maybe, but "ToB Concurrent Romances Patch" has always worked for me ;)

4. Etrigone Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I can second the votes on Flirtpack and Banterpacks. They're lots of fun; I just saw an amusing three way rant about short insults between Korgan, Mazzy & Jan ("Herbert?").

I'm not as sold on Kelsey yet from the romance option perspective. It's good to see another option for female NPCs, and I do think as a character in general he's pretty good, but the romance (which I'm not through yet) rubs me slightly wrong. Better than Anomen, or at least on par. I'd compare to the female romances (one he's about on par with), but I'd like to avoid the flames. :aaa:

I have not tried other NPC mods, so I can't compare, and my vague unhappiness with the romance is probably just personal taste. I doubt I could write one of these things up anyways.

5. UsagiRyu Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Definately get Ease of use if only to turn off the horrible animation for the clock of mirroring and shutting up the "you must gather your party before venturing forth"...

6. jcompton Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

It happens. I have no idea to write the perfect romance and I didn't try anyway. :)

I will say that I'm fairly sure it gets better as it goes along, particularly into TOB, and that's got a lot to do with the fact that I wrote the TOB romance after having written the SOA romance, which was the first time I'd tried to write any sort of romance, let alone an interactive one.

I did go back and make some improvements to the SOA romance but they're mostly on the PC-response side (more and more interesting options), I decided to leave the core content basically the same.

I've found that the Kelsey and Anomen romances seem to improve each other in most people's eyes. Like, knowing that Anomen becomes a choice rather than the only option makes the Anomen romance look more interesting, and knowing that Kelsey will snipe at Anomen for the PC's attentions makes Kelsey more interesting than he would be if HE were the only option.

7. Etrigone Gems: 2/31

Btw, I re-read my message. I sound like a total ween. Thanks for not flaming me on my (frankly) rude remarks, even though I really deserved it.
    The only think I can think for my initial reaction of is that his over-eagerness reminded me of myself when I was younger, and that, uh, made me uncomfortable. :hahaerr:

Honestly, folks, get Kelsey. Don't listen to curmudgeons like me. He's way cool, especially if Jan is in the party for his "gift" to Kelsey.

And Jcompton, my apologies for the dis. I suck, and should at least figuratively be smacked like a red-headed stepchild. :p

8. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

allright, so now i'm ending up with

Kelsey
    Tashia
    Item Upgrade
    Solaufein
    Virtue
    Banterpack
    Flirtpack
    Icewind gate (when ready, when?)

I dont mind the animations of the cloak, and you must gather blablabla dont bother me that much. I usually play music in the background anyway. Dont hear much other when i turn it off to hear the conversations.
    am i missing out anyone now?

[Edit: Bonus merchants! for the robe of vecna and such!]

9. Ban'Darlae Gems: 2/31

Is Tortured Souls a good mod? Or is it as buggy as TDD? I'd like to give it a try but I don't want my game screwed up.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Dunno; you cannot get it from anywhere. :rolleyes: Other big mods have this same problem... :(

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I hope you're an excellent tactician if you want to use the Solaufein mod. Personally, I didn't like that one too much.

I also don't like Item Upgrade, since it makes items far too powerful. IWG won't be finished this decade most likely.

Everything else on there is excellent.

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Some people like of Solaufein (even though I cannot understand why), so guess it is pretty decend mod (be it that I have never given it a second try). The Item Upgrade Mod makes the items a bit overpowerful, yes; but for one or two games it's fun mod to have -especially if you are playing "insane." ;)

13. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Yes, with those you're set for some improved gameplay. I'm currently underway with Shadows over Soubar, which is certainly not bad.

As for Icewind Gate, that I await eagerly, it will certainly take some more months to finish so don't bother. But it seems it's allready in Beta, but nowhere to download. A pity.

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    And theres a new forum here that has mod reviews - not a lot just yet, but the numbers will continue to grow I'm sure.

15. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Solaufein is one of those mods you play over once, and that's pretty much it. You're glad you played it, all said and done, but damned if your going to struggle through that whole thing again. :D

BTW, is Weimer a member of this site? Weimer.org is hosted by SP, so you'd think he would be. I'd like to hear from that friggin' genius (or is that geni-arse? :p )

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    He came around once or twice... He pretty much sticks to his own site and forums only.

17. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I'm sure you referred to http://www.weidu.org (and not to weimer.org)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.